Claymores versus Bouncing Betty and Prox Mine?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Damianamaru, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Benevon

I have never seen the green lasers on claymores other TR have put down. It seems they are only visible to the one placing them as an indicator as to the damage cone.

So far I have maybe a 99% success rate with them, and 100% when placed inside a door. And mentioned before, great defense if placed behind you while sniping. They are just a bit more limited in placement due to the cone rather than a 360 blast radius, which again, has its advantages as well.
  2. Tyzh

My NC friend was able to see the green lasers just fine. It's probably your graphics settings, Benevon.
  3. PanzerGoddess

...he has the pro version claymore...didnt you read where he said 99% and 100%, he is no doubt pro :rolleyes:
  4. Iksniljiksul

They all work exactly the same. The graphics have nothing to do with the function. TR AP mines are proxy det and non-directional. I have a gold medal already in claymores, and from the other side characters they are indeed invisible. All mines are invisible, otherwise they'd better get rid of the huge resource costs and allow mines fields like PS1.
  5. Benevon

Weird. My graphics are all high and I can see my own lasers just not anybody elses.
  6. Tyzh

That's odd. I wasn't able to see any of the green lasers (even my own) until I changed one of my graphics settings. I run the game on all the lowest settings except for "Graphics Quality" in the in-game settings. I bumped that up to medium because I found that it was the setting that caused infiltrators to go from being invisible when cloaked to the translucent guy that's easier to see. It was then that I noticed the green lasers, and I can see them on claymores put down by friendlies other than myself, as well.
  7. PanzerGoddess

all mine are not invisible....have you never shot one before x_X. If your creeping around a base, sometimes you will notice them if you look down, specially when you are around capture points, stairs, doorways....not sure if it has to do with graphics, but if you look close enough you can see any mine that has been placed, well should be able too, lets put it that way.

same here and I have the ultra graphics set through my user.ini file, I will look again, there is a chance I just dont pay attention to those much, always looking for the enemys.
  8. SeventhFrost

Well I'm a VS player, but I have infils certed for mines on every faction, and my general consensus, for what it's worth, is that yes, the TR mines are underpowered, if just a tad. The fact is, yeah, it's BS that the vs/nc get a mine that's omnidirectional both in detection and in blast, while the TR get one that is 1/4 that in both. I feel that to balance this, the best thing to do would be to

A- give the TR mines a greater detection length, and blast length. ie. instead of being 4 feet it's 7, not increasing the radius from 90 to 180 or anything.
    B- either reduce the length of the lasers, or eliminate them all together.
    and C- if there is latency between detection and detonation (which I assume from tons of experience, that there is), make that 0 for the TR mine.

I feel that the nc/vs mines are perfect how they are, but the nc mine is being left behind, and I want that fixed. I do, though, like the idea of it being different for them. Then again, the same could be said about pistols, with the vs being left behind (something yes, i'm sore about), and since a lot of people have been pushing for the pistols being given to all factions in all forms, I offer this secondary option that I see being just as effective in balancing.

Do that for claymores anyway, but allow each infil the choice to cert into either the proxy mines or the directional proxy mines as they want to. Maybe you could even differ the 3 slightly for each faction, make em unique, cause this game lacks that on the infiltrator side, if you guys haven't noticed.

Thoughts on that- vanu directional mines could have a small cone, but mid range and great damage in that cone, like almost no damage dropoff based on proximity to the dir-mine (Could be explained with plasma or some ****). the NC could have a short range one with a wide radius and good damage in it (would have to have something to make this not just another proxymine), and the TR could have better range on it, with the normal cone and slightly elongated damage falloff in that cone (i don't know, running dry on ideas at this point) but yeah! that's option 2.

Also, quick afterthought. I really do like the idea of the lasers being visible to not only you, but your teammates as well. However, being visible to enemies is no. just... so much no. all of my no. ruins the surprise in em. Having them visible to teammates, or at least squadmates or something, however, lets people know where they can worry about not covering, in some examples (I'm sure you can get where i'm going with this)
  9. colt .45 killer

Use your brains you utter panzies. A directed blast can be hid beside a door making it invisible to the target. The direct drop mines have to be run over, meaning you pretty much have to see them first in order to step on them.

Most people just drop mines anywhere expecting free kills, learn to use the faction specific mines to their maximum benefit.
  10. THX1138

The TR mine is also omnidirectional. I've verified this by pointing it away from doors and still killing people who walk through. The lasers appear to be purely cosmetic, not functional.

There is no cone.
  11. Meiu

It also gives you the advantage of placing them into positions you can't see them until they blow up, the issue with the prox/bb's is you can actually always see them before you trip them, while the claymore you can put around a corner in such a way you cant see it until you get blown up. It also gives you the potential to place them out of range of grenades and other ways to sweep for explosives. However, I personally believe all three factions should have access to different triggering methods such as the claymore style or proximity mine.
  12. Tyzh

13. sickE87

I'm TR and I've used the claymores before. I have to say that placement is everything with these bad boys. and to help out my TR buddies, I'll tell you how to use them in the cheeky little bastard way.

Step 1. locate a in-use AA/AV enemy cannon.

Step 2. get behind the cannon, turn around and place the claymore down facing away from you and the cannon.

Step 3. proceed to hack the cannon.

Step 4. laugh in a uncontrollable manner as the person who pops out gets insta-killed.
    • Up x 1
  14. IshanDeston

Not true. I've approached TR Claymores from the side, because i wanted to see if they can be distabled with the Engineer gun. They blow up in your face, when you get to close. reaching not even Engineer Tool distance to the side of the mine had them blow up. Didn't kill me because of Flak armor, but the point is.. they don't care which direction they are placed if you don't see them being placed.
  15. Ipecac

But if you care to read the OP of that thread, it seems to be possible for other/enemy players to see the claymore facing in a different direction than it actually is. That makes it a lot harder to judge directionality based on occasional past experience.
  16. IshanDeston

At which point i would suggest making a video showing your NC test partner to actually approach one from the side, instead of static pictures. I would be willing to accept a video showing them being able to approach it from its non damaging side. As it stands now, there is no telling if they are omnidirectional or not.

Not without someone actually walking up to that thing from behind and standing right where your infiltrator was. So yeah, if you can get your NC friend to assume those positions of your Infiltrator, it would actually be prove. Until then, i am going to stick to my experiances with the buggers and they tell me, they are omnidirectional.
  17. Tyzh

You're right. You caught me. It was all a clever ploy to trick people into walking into my claymores. I was lying about all of it.
    :rolleyes:
  18. IshanDeston

I am not saying you lied, or i had posted so in that other thread. I am saying: I am not convinced by the "data" you provided.
  19. Phrygen

has this been addressed yet?
  20. Ztiller

What is there to address? The TR want their PMs to be as good as ours? Well i want our sidearms to be as good as the TRs. But that's not likely to happen, is it?