Claymores pt 2

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hellhammer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hellhammer

My original question asked if claymores were bugged (no damage registering), and some people said yes, and other said no. That aside, does anyone else feel like the damage has been reduced with all "mines" the Infiltrators use? If anyone stepped across it, short of a HA or MAX, they would die. Now people just seem to run through them like nothing happens.

Let's take a little look at damage comparison:

C4 - 100 infantry resources. Will damage a Sunder 8/10 with 1, overkill with 2. Will also blow up any armor just the same

Claymore/Betty/Prox Mine - 75 infantry resources. Won't damage a Sunderer OR heavy armor, yet cost 25 resources less.

By my account it should at least do 75% of the damage C4 does (yet it's more like 30%), with no damage potential to heavy armor. Seems like the resource cost/damage is a little off
  2. Rhyl

That's because more people are running flak jacket these days and with the new max grenade spam that's coming more will pick up flak jacket. With max flack jacket it only reduces people down to their basic health. Removing their shields only. As for the first part of your post there was a bug that prevented mines from working. I made a huge thread about it in the bug report forum. This bug has been since fixed.
  3. redsevenski

I've taken to placing both the claymores in the same location, separated by a few metres. If the first one doesn't get them the second will. If they're not using flak the first one gets them and the second one is ready for their mate!
  4. Serval

C4 only does 40-45%ish to a sunderer; AT mines do close to what you said, though.
  5. Ztiller

2 C4 will not overkill a sunderer. It will set it on fire, but it can survive it.

The reason,. as stated, that people survive your mines is because pretty much everyone runs with Flak Armor.

C4 also have to be manually detonated, and if you die it disappears. Mines will detonate automatically when needed, and will remain even if you die.

Having AP mines do 75% of the damage that C4 does would be absolutely ridiculously overpowered. Damage to resource ratio is not the only thing that you should look at when suggesting buffs. The AP mines work fine now. They should not be some sort of uberweapon of the gods that kills everything it touches, carried by invisible snipers.
  6. Manetheren

Most every single time I put down a Claymore it either:

1. Gets spotted cus it's design is ********, sticking out of the ground and all that.
    2. Blows up dealing NO damage, happens 90% of the time, but when I run into Prox. Mines or B. Betties they kill me just fine... (I would be okay with the Claymore design if only they would EFFIN WORK!
    3. Decides it would like to face the ground or some random ******** direction that no one will ever pass through.
    4. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    • Up x 1
  7. Rickenbacker

Yeah, claymores are worthless. I get blown up by other faction's mines, because I can't see them, but no one ever seems to get blown up by my claymores, even when I hide them well, place them behind corners etc. I've even had people destroy them soundlessly, without taking damage - I have no idea how that is done.
  8. Astraka

They are far from worthless my friend. I still get plenty of kills with them, they just have to be placed more cautiously than VS & NC mines - try throwing them at the top of the stairs or behind a capture point for example. Flak Armor still prevents the kill regardless of placement, but it is a nice early warning system & it will damage them enough where finishing them with your weapon of choice is trivial.

As for the NC & VS mines I'm not sure if they fixed the invisible AP Mine bug with the last round of nerfs on them, but I can definitely see VS & NC mines a lot more than I could before. With their blast radius also being nerfed, you almost have to stand right on top of them to die to them giving you more of an opportunity to avoid them or blow them up yourself. For added fun in small excursions, toss a mine next to theirs if you can do it safely while letting your squad know - if an enemy triggers it both will go off killing anyone apart from a max regardless of Flak Armor.
  9. Ztiller

I use EMP grenades to detonate claymores in a large area. Not a sound, apart from the mine explosion, and works through walls.
  10. Rickenbacker

Well, when they do go off, they work as you say. But I've been having lots of problems with them just disappearing, especially at the top of stairs. I place the mine, go check the roof, and when I come back down it has simply vanished!

Ztiller: Didn't know EMP grenades were silent, that might explain a thing or two. I've still seen my claymores just vanish for no reason, though, even when no enemies were around.
  11. Ztiller

Oh yeah. Placed explosives disappear if you go to far from them, but they are still there and will still detonate. There was a video showing it, but i'm too lazy to find it. The same goes for C4, tank mines and AP mines.

EMP nades are silent, but the explosion from the mines are not. You will still hear your claymores exploding if i use my EMP nade.
  12. Hypest

13. Hypest

Infantry resources (IS) are not a valid ground to compare things, since the current costs are unlogical. Frag grenade 45 IS, Frag grenade with glue 75 IS. Not to mention every mines gets destroyed on use, yet a MAX suit which costs the same as a single C4 brick can destroy theoretically infinite numbers of enemies and vehicles.

AP mines are low risk explosives (for the user ofc), C4s are not. Asking AP mines to be effective against armor would be like asking AV mines to trigger against infantry.
  14. Ztiller

Alright. Now compare Average Sidearm Kills/hr? And then Average HA kills/minute?

The game is assymetrical. Deal with it. TR gets a machinegun sidearm and 100 round mag LMGs. VS gets flat AP mines.

The reason most TR fail with the claymore is because:

1: Fewer use it.
    2: They are bloody stupid and put it in clear view straight infront of a door.
  15. Hypest

Using the reason "other factions can't play" is bloody stupid. Especially when you compare a random common pool weapon score, like the NS11-A and TR has higher score/hour and kill/hour than VS. Now if i would be dumb i would say VS players "fail", but i'm not a prejudiced, generalizing a$$hole.

On the sidearms: all three factions has two options for pistol. So i also want to have and option for AP mines. The LMG part doesn't even makes sense (at this point it doesn't even surprise me) since both NC and VS have 100 round mag LMG option, yet TR still doesn't have flat mine without warning lights.
    • Up x 2
  16. Astraka

If we go by the stats it shows the VS Manticore as having the most kills per hour, followed in descending order by the Emperor, Rebel, Repeater, Beamer, & finally the Mag-Shot. And don't the Ursa, Polaris, Gauss Saw, EM1, & the EM6 also have 100 round LMGs?

The Claymores are just plain harder to use & easier to see. They aren't worthless by any means but you're kidding yourself if you think everyone on the TR side is just stupid.
  17. Ztiller

But i am not wrong. We have flat mines. We place them in an appropriate mines. TR are bloody stupid and place their mines AS IF they were flat. But they are not. Instead of hiding them around corners, where we can't hide ours effectively, they put them in plain sight. That is nothing but a matter of one faction not adapting to their trait.

But no other faction have the opportunity to get a Machinegun sidearm. The VS can trade their Beamer for another semi automatic with higher damage and lower RoF. I don't know of the Magshot and the Rebel, but i'm guessing it is similar.

The Claymore mines are worst, no doubt. But the Beamer is also the worst sidearm in the game. Even when we pay 500 certs to get the Manticore it is still worse than the free NC magshot. All TR get their machinegun sidearm for free.

The game is assymetrical. Deal with it. Or go play a game where everything is identical and bland.
  18. Hellhammer

I think we're getting a little side tracked here...this isn't about who has/doesn't have <insert side arm name here>, or some LMG, it's about the Claymore.

Interesting that Flak Armor seems to be the "be all, end all" for mostly everyone. Personally, I think it probably needs to get hit by the nerf bat. Not because "Claymores don't kill in 1 hit", because maxed out it pretty much makes grenades, Claymore/Betty/Proxy Mines, and basically any kind of "explosion"/splash damage useless.

Easiest example I guess is; if you got hit by a tank round splash, do you think you'd be hurt? I've personally fired four (4) tank rounds from my Prowler showing hit indicators at a target (infantry), without it dying.My best guess is that the person was wearing max level Flak Armor.

Personally, I don't care if you're Superman, that's 1 round too many (if max Flak Armor) for the target not to be killed...in my opinion of course
  19. Astraka

Flak Armor is pretty much mandatory unless you're a long range sniper, then Nanoweave & Ammunition Belt becomes more handy as explosions are less likely to find you. I run it simply because of AP mines. Nothing is more infuriating then getting killed instantly by something so easy to use - I often feel bad using them & scoring kill after kill. All instant kills probably need to go - bolt actions, AP mines, Shotguns, HE shells... it just isn't fun to be on the receiving end.
  20. Takoita

Suicide runs with Claymores are much less viable - it doesn't do damage in 360 degrees after all. Mining generators is less effective because of this too. How many times did your enemy compromised the target and run into your mines after that and not before?

I suggest upping either damage or explosion effective range (namely those max/min damage range numbers) to compensate.