CHARGE MECHANICS DO NOT WORK. STOP.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ohknoh, Mar 31, 2023.

1. ohknoh

Get rid of the ridiculous charge mechanic for the Parhelion. It has never worked for ANY weapon in the Vanu arsenal. Even the Lancer is better used in semi-auto mode. Just stop with the charge mechanics.

When you could charge and hold until needed, it was somewhat effective. I'm guessing the prowler babies cried, since they the Magrider could actually kill them if their tank was damaged.

Stop strapping Vanu with useless traits.
  2. RabidIBM

What BRs are your non-Vanu characters? I'm wondering since you're commenting on faction balance.

Holding a full charge indefinitely basically defeats the purpose of a charge up system.
    • Up x 1
  3. ohknoh

Your question about my BR on the other factions serves absolutely no purpose. The weapons are effective. The Kingsnake is ridiculously powerful. The time to kill for a deployed against a lightning is less than 4 seconds. It's one shot if the prowler is 2/2. It's almost as quick against a magrider.

A full charge from the parhelion is devastating, but it will be another 6+ seconds before it can fire it again.

The charge system only adds to the time it takes to fire the weapon. Imagine the kingsnake if it required a 4 second charge in order to fire its 4 round burst. That is exactly what the Parhelion does. The total reload+ charge time is 6 seconds.

It is a bllsht weapon. Remove the charge mechanic, they do not work.
  4. RabidIBM

Your refusal to answer the question is an answer.

The Kingsnake barely qualifies as a meme. Many TRs tried it to play with the new toy, then went back to AP. The Aurax completionists used it for longer, then went back to AP. That right there tells you most of what you need to know.

Your references to DPS are only relevant if you aren't breaking LOS between shots, the fact that you refer to it tells me a lot. Any tanker should be making LOS to shoot and breaking LOS to reload. This means that DPS means very little, and burst fire power is what you
    should care about.

The Magrider is the low skill floor, high skill ceiling tank. As someone who put the time in to get BR120 before getting ASP on Vanu before getting up to BR 60ish before flipping back to TR because I was tired of listening to VS copium on the comms, I have the experience to know what I'm talking about.
    • Up x 1
  5. ohknoh

This is exactly why I didn't want to discuss battle rank here, it serves absolutely NO purpose. I reached BR120 with my VS, and went ASP to lvl 73. I have low levels of every faction.

The King snake is an excellent weapon. I see this pulled more than I see prowler AP, since the kingsnake has a higher DPS, and any shortcomings are made up for by the ridiculous deploy mode. You're utterly wrong.

Just how ignorant do you have to be to think that DPS is only relevant if you're not breaking line of sight? You should be breaking line of sight ONLY to reload, and then peaking and shooting as soon as your weapon is ready. Dead time between reloads means you're not using your weapon to the best of its ability. Most Prowlers will deploy and unload until their HP drops to half, and then retreat. With the shield, they can pull this off without much danger.

This is why the parhelion is pathetic now without the infinite charge. It is 6 seconds to reload and charge. Before the nerf, you could spot a target, and let off a barage, retreat, reload, and either shoot individually, or go for a 2 or 3 charge depending on what the target did. Now you have 5 seconds to acquire your target once it reaches full charge, so you will waste shots if you charge, then peak only to see your target retreat to cover or has moved. THe gun goes off regardless wasting the rounds. It's utterly ridiculous.l

You don't know what you're talking about, but i see that the best argument you could muster was a half ***** attempt at belittling someone over your BR assumptions.
  6. ohknoh

And again, my main point is that the charge mechanic for the parhelion does not work. The devs have changed nearly every single charge weapon that the VS had to a semi auto or semi-auto burst weapon. The lancer is the only weapon that uses charge, and most people just semi-auto it. Charging, and having no control over when the weapon shoots is a dumb mechanic, and the devs know this.
  7. blueps

I am one of those who would like to see the charging system eliminated if possible.

I know charge system is a property that is set up as a weakness in the balance of the weapon.

But I don't like the action of charging, not the power or anything.

It is an "uncomfortable to use" factor.
    The same can be said for Yumi, Slicer, etc.
    If possible, the shooting elements should be "feel good".

As an alternative proposal to the charging system

For those weapons.Make the CoF extremely large and convergence time-consuming.

For pinpoint shooting, you need to keep aiming for a longer time before firing.

If it is an alternative to the charge system, would it need a few seconds or so?

It would be better to have a visual explanation that when the target is aimed,
    HUD shows a large circle, which gets smaller in time.

Emergency dumbfires are of course possible.If you are lucky, you will be hit.
    (feel just like hip-firing a sniper rifle.)

It dramatically improves the feel when firing the weapon.

---

Well, it could mean "let them use it with maximum damage from the beginning,"
    so some adjustment would be necessary.

You may set the risk for this.

Increase incoming damage to the weapon user while aiming.
    You can only shoot when you're Aiming.
    Slow down the movement(or unmovable)while Aiming,
    Unable to move for a few seconds after shooting,
    Make itself glow and expose its own position,
    autospot on minimap while Aiming(stealth disabled), etc.

I believe that setting up one or more of these would be a good balance.
    ---

This is a little off topic,

If the charging system is not changed.
    I would like to see a change in the need to hold down the mouse button.

One reason is that it's harder to control the mouse.

Aside from the lancer, Mag is even more intense in its pressed and held motion, which is likely to cause the mouse to malfunction.

If this continues, my mouse is in danger of exploding.

So here's my suggestion.
    The first click initiates the charge and the second click fires it.

It would be nice to be able to switch the firing method for those who do not like this.

Like "Zoom Toggle".
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

I really hope this is an April Fools joke, but then again I have to check if its April Fools so often seeing some of the serious posts here.
  9. RabidIBM

Well, record some game play of the Kingsnake being OP when YOU are using it and I'll reconsider my opinion here. If it's only OP when other people use it then this sounds like a skill issue being papered over with copium.

It's not like this is a PlanetSide exclusive issue, the same happens in any game with different factions with different kit. Talk to the average of the StarCraft players who only play one faction and you'd think that game had the worst balance issues in gaming history.

I know this game has a "TR victim complex" meme, but in my experience Vanu mains are the worst for that.

@blueps Interesting concept. Certainly if I had my way this game would be done up in a way that experiments can be tried with things like that. However I don't call the shots around here. Sadly the "cry about things until they get nerfed" crowd seem to get listened to the most.
  10. OSruinedPS1

Totally agree, holding the fire button should give you like a 15% increase in damage, like prowler ability gives you like 15% increase in reload speed or the vanguard 15% increase in hit points.
  11. ohknoh

Charge mechanics do not work, as I said. The weapon autofiring after 5 seconds is a ridiculous effect, and punishing to the Magrider in so many ways. From alerting enemies to your location, potentially shooting friendlies, or simply wasting ammo.

If not fired after 5 seconds, the weapon should enter a cooldown phase which takes half the time of a reload before you can fire/ charge again.

A better and simpler fix would be to make the charge mechanic a firing mode, like they did with the Spiker.

Either way, charge modes are not mechanically okay in this game. They have never worked, and they force the weapon to underperform. Most weapons that have charge mechanics are used like a semi-auto, with charge mechanic only increasing the actions needed to fire your weapon, as you must release the trigger to fire instead of firing on trigger pull.

The Kingsnake has higher damage output, period. Prowler drivers who want to take advantage of that, select the kingsnake. The few times I HAVE a Prowler while playing TR, the Kingsnake lets me peek and kill very reliably, while doing so much easier than the parhelion. Prowler drivers who want to snipe from an overlook will use the AP cannon. Both weapons deal ridiculous amounts of damage. I don't care what experiences you've had with Vanu mains, the stats are the stats.
  12. TR5L4Y3R

i have to disagree with this ... a weapon heaving a chargesystem that can be hold indefinetively isn´t by itself a contradicting implementation ...
    the point and primary disadvantage of such a weapon is that you can´t fire immidiatly but you have to build up the shot for its alphadamage in the first place ..

since people are talking about the lancer, its MAX eqiuvalent and periphelion here is one thing i severly dislike about these weapons
    as the matter of fact that you can´t cancel the shot when your target is out of position for a propper shot and basicaly you already dedicated yourself to taking the shot missing with it or not ...
    what i rather would like to see is a charge implementation how it is done in Mechwarrior Online with that game´s gaussrifles

you have to charge up the weapon for a specific duration, release too early and it won´t fire, hold the charge too long and the charge autocancels and doesn´t fire either, a visual indicator on the weapons cooldownbar glows up green when the weapon is propper charged ..

primary example at 3:40

the hold duration on the heavy gauss is significantly shorter than standard gauss and light gaussweapons
    but for that it has a much higher alphadamage albeit upclose ... depending on the situation having a shorter holdduration before a canceled charge can be more advanteagous if you want to charge for a new shot quick
  13. blueps

Please forgive me if I may deviate a bit from the ongoing content.
    Let me further point out a few more things.

Regarding this developer-side balancing process.Unfortunately, I must say that it is reprehensible.
    Yes, it is the "process" ,that is the problem.

I have a few thoughts about Perihelion.
    First, the burst damage of the first shot that was very reliable during the encounter with the enemy.
    Before Nerf, this element was really strong in Perihelion.

This was quite a topic of discussion at the time of the PTS test.
    On the player's side, there will be surprises and expectations.
    Soon after, it was introduced to the live server.

The fact that it is deployed on a live server without any changes means that it has passed the PTS test.
    In other words, it is intended about it and we recognize that there are no major changes.
    (And if not, it raises questions about the significance of the PTS test.)

But then, later on,They changed it to something completely different.

that is a huge problem I think.

If there is a balance problem present in the test subject.
    Since we are in the middle of testing on a test server,
    Dev should have fix it there.

This will turn an extraordinarily high expectation into a great disappointment.

Moreover, there is no cert refund.
    Some may have purchased this and fully upgraded because it was so powerful.
    In this case, it costs roughly 5000 Cert.
    double that for both Mag and Lig.

Not only is the weapon's attack power different, but also its usability.

The inability to hold a charge,It also means that you can't cancel firing.

Different from Lancer,Perihelion is always fired when charged.
    It cannot be canceled. And this is the bigger problem.

If fired unexpectedly, the subsequent reloading would be lethal facter in a CQC situation.
    This made it much more difficult to operate and judge the situation than before the charge.

Even when shooting at off-guard targets,
    It used to be possible to wait for an extended period of time until the situation where a hit could be expected,

Now you need to be more careful about when to initiate the charge.
    If the target moves or hides when you start the charge, you can't cancel the fireing.
    It would reveal Mag's own position to the target and ruin the surprise attack.

Other.Previously it was able to find the enemy while holding the charge.
    This meant it has that a initial burst of very reliable damage.
    after the patch you will start the battle from an uncharged situation in most cases.
    This also has a completely different before the nerf.

Thus. This update brings radical changes to the combat environment.

I want to assure you that I am not advocating that you undo the Perihelion.

I contend that there is a problem with the recent update method and procedures.

Perhaps if the PTS testing phase had been that the charge could not be held,
    I don't think the reaction on the part of players would have been what it is now.

I think that initial strike of pre-Nerf Perihelion, It was a little debatable.
    So the opinion that it is too convenient or too powerful should of course be discussed.
    Therefore, I have no objection to nerfing it.

However, as explained above, the element of not being able to hold a charge,
    I feel that this is too much of a degradation to be introduced suddenly.

So I object to the process of suddenly introducing such a change without discussion.

------

That is why I am stating an alternative for nerf.

Weaker than "hold charge permanently."and stronger than "cannot hold a charge", and easy to use.

Such a proposal is required.

In my earlier post, I suggested an "alternative charging method".
    This includes simple personal preferences.
    Of course, I think it is incomplete as a correct answer to the problem.

But if only part of the idea is valid,it would be worthwhile.

(And not necessarily an idea for Perihelion, but hopefully a hint for next time or something.)

------

Now, the conclusion.

I feel that changes that radically alter the content should be given some careful consideration.

The change is simple: can the charge be retained or not.
    However, the changes that have resulted are drastic.

Perihelion has become something completely different.

I suggest that major changes should be done at the PTS.

Also about the PTS test itself.It has been done several times in the past.
    However, the content was not changed at all and was introduced to the live server.

Because of this, there have been some players who have questioned the meaning of discussing the PTS test.

And if things like this continue, we will have to adopt a constant skeptical attitude toward updates.

I think I was able to explain the impact of this update and how players felt about it.
    hope this information can be conveyed to the developers.
  14. Liewec123

i'd love for a charge up mechanic to finally give vanguard a big @ss railgun.
    charge for 3 seconds and BOOM, high velocity low drop high damage round with a long reload.
    no splash damage but pierces.

the problem isn't with the charge up mechanic, its with their implementation.
    lancer used to be a top tier option, but then it had its range and velocity nerfed, it is still great AA,
    but its lost a lot of its long range AV potential.

as for Peri, it was crazy op and deserved the nerf.
    imho it should have stayed as it was on PTS, single shot with a fast reload,
    for constant sustained damage at distant targets,
    not a freaking nuke to take MBTs to 30% at the start of the fight.
  15. Walking Shark

After playing with it for a few days, I agree that it is terrible. If it's going to remain this way with no changes, the faction specific weapons for TR or NC should also be made useless. Alternatively, making the refire delay with non charged shots go away could be a good option, kind of like the lancer. That would make it usable and possibly bring it back to being within line of things like the TR quad cannon turret.
  16. ohknoh

It has a .5 second refire delay between shots. It requires you to pull and release the trigger, 2 actions, which adds difficulty to aiming.

It has a 3.5 second reload time, that begins AFTER the refire delay. Meaning 4 seconds before reload is complete after the last shot.

it has a 3 round magazine.

It charges to 2 shots after 1 second.
    It charges a 3rd shot after 2 seconds.

It takes 1.5 seconds to fire all three shots. 5 seconds total activity. It's actually longer in practice (more like 6.5 seconds)
    It takes 3 seconds to charge all three shots- 7 seconds total activity. It's actually longer in practice. All to deal 1425 damage.

The Charge doesn't hold for 5 seconds. It holds for 2 seconds after reaching full charge. It counts the 3 seconds of charging as holding a full charge. Again, this weapon is ********.

Charge does not work. The Slicer is a great example of the ONLY charge mechanic that should be in the game. A slight delay while the weapon dumps it's capacitance into the firing chamber.
  17. Walking Shark

Let's be real, this change wasn't made because of balance, it was made because Vanu had a decent weapon on their paper tank for once and could win an engagement, and this was not acceptable to 2/3 of the player base. TR still has a quad shot weapon that is completely fine and can front load four shots and get off four more before you can charge and release three shots and be ready at full charge for another three. This can not be an accident, it is intentional to make sure Vanu does not have a viable faction specific tank main gun. I refuse to believe the developers are not smart enough to have known this was going to shake out how it did, which means it was an intentional way of giving other empires an unbeatable (if skill is even) edge over Vanu's already incredibly fragile tanks.
  18. Walking Shark

Why would you try to gaslight us like this, as if we don't play the game and know exactly how much Kingsnake is on the field or what it's like to play against? Who are you trying to "convince," because what you're saying is transparently dishonest.