[Suggestion] Change the starting LMGs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Saool, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Saool

There are currently many threads around ballance it general and the Orion in particular. For the people who are not happy would this make you more happy (or would you still ***** anyway)?

Change the starting LMGs to:

Vanu - Pulsar LSW
    200 Year Old Conglomorate - EM6
    Terran 'Republic' - Stays as the Carv

The Orion becomes a 1000 cert weapon, and the Gauss SAW a 250 or 500 cert weapon.

Discuss.
    • Up x 9
  2. Xasapis

For the record, any new players get one extra juicy LMG apart from the default ones, by using the welcome kit in my signature (all current PS2 players can gift their friends with a welcome kit).

So you get for free:
    • SVA-88 as VS
    • TMG-50 as TR
    • EM6 as NC
    • Up x 1
  3. theamateurassassin

I don't always play HA, but when I do I use the EM6.
    With my shameless commercial copying out of the way, I agree with the change for NC. I found that as a noob I had a very hard time using the SAW but that changed eventually as I got good. I have been using the EM6 as my weapon for when I play HA for a while now and i like it. it is a good weapon for a noob, and anyone with a fresh character.

For TR, which is my least played faction, I am satisfied with the CARV. I have no real problems using it and I think it is a good starter weapon.

For Vanu, which is my second most played faction, and also the most controversial, I agree that the Orion should not be the starter.
    I have made fresh Vanu alts and gone on killstreaks with it because it is fairly easy to pick up and use. Also, its accessibility means that everyone has it, and with is .75 ADS speed combined with bad hit detection makes it a little cheesy and some describe it as OP. Personally, I think it is just a good weapon but to stop all the drama I think that changing it from the starter is a good idea. As for replacing it with the Pulsar, I really can't say because I don't always play HA when Vanu and when I do, I always use the Orion.
    • Up x 1
  4. MiniSentrygun

Guass SAW needs to be changed to EM6 or the GD22.
    Other than that, I'm fine with the Orion. Not really concerned about new players getting decent competitive basic gear.
    • Up x 1
  5. Nody

I'd like the NC's sniper rifle to a scout rifle (to keep things balanced) but I don't really see a problem.
    • Up x 2
  6. sindz

VS - Pulsar LSW
    NC- GD-22
    TR - Carv-s
  7. WUNDER8AR

If anything switch Orion with SVA-88 or Polaris. LSW is trash. Though the Polaris only really works if you're scoring those headshots and while it is arguably easy to control, you still need to have a somewhat decent aim to land those headshots, which really shouldn't be a mandatory thing for a new player in order to be competitive. Hence I would suggest SVA-88, nonetheless because I think a starter weapon should come with as many ES traits as possible, which includes .75x ADS movement for LMGs as a VS exclusive thing.
  8. Rogueghost

No, my favorite argument against people calling this game p2w is that Vanu starts out with the Orion. If you REALLY have to changed to the Orion from the starting weapon to something else make it 250 certs and replace it with the SVA-88
  9. ATRA_Wampa-One

Realistically almost all the starting weapons should be changed around.

HA
    VS: SVA-88
    TR: CARV
    NC: EM6

All of them are geared to mid-range engagements while not being the best CQC LMG option for each faction. Also, the AA launcher should be the default launcher since it can also be dumb fired while giving new players some defense against air that doesn't cost 400 resources. The dumb fire launcher should have it's reload time reduced to make it something people would buy, so decimator is high alpha damage and ES dumb fire would be high sustained damage.

Medic:
    VS: CME
    TR: Cycler
    NC: Gauss Rifle

VS will still have the weakest AR (having crap AR's is our faction trait after all) but the CME is our second best AR after the Terminus where the Pulsar VS1 is utter garbage.

Carbine starters are fine.

Infiltrator:
    VS: Ghost
    TR: TSAR-42
    NC: SAS-R

Secondaries:
    VS: Manticore
    TR: Emperor
    NC: Rebel
    • Up x 1
  10. Casterbridge

I thought the NC one was EM1?
  11. Pfundi

NC gets the EM1 with the questioning of a new character.
    So when you do it right youll get EM1 EM6 and SAW
  12. patrykK1028

Why Pulsar? :eek:
    I think that should be:
    Polaris
    TR equivalent
    NC equivalent
    I think these are the only LMGs equivalent for all factions.
  13. Saber15

He's either completely wrong or suggesting alternative weapons.

The current free choices are:
    T16 Rhino (TR)
    EM1 (NC)
    VX29 Polaris (VS)
  14. Saool

You are right in that the LSW is not great. But that's the point in a way. It is good enough to get you going and has a lot of attachments to play with. It's a poor man's SVA-88. Nearly every other Vanu LMG offers you something different or extra, therefore to my mind it is a good starter LMG.
  15. Sossen

I'd say that the Pulsar LSW is a better choice than the SVA-88 simply because of the recoil.
  16. miraculousmouse

The recoil isn't even that bad, but slap on a compensator if you want. The hipfire still is fine for the situations you need to use hipfire (unlike the SAW with comp) and everywhere else use the 1x reflex.
  17. Fellgnome

Making an overpowered weapon cost 1000 certs is not a balance solution. Plus no one wants to be stuck with the Pulsar LSW - or honestly any other VS LMG, they all suck Orion is the only good one.

SAW -> EM6 would be the way to go, along with Orion losing .75 ADS.
    • Up x 2
  18. BobSanders123

TR: Minichaingun

Enough said.
    • Up x 1
  19. Saool

And there we have it. You would still ***** and cry even though it would cost the same as the NS with the .75 ADS. I guess some people just want to piss in other people corn flakes no matter what.
    • Up x 2
  20. Fellgnome

I've said several times that all LMGs should lose .75 ADS actually. And that VS's other LMGs need buffs. This is a knee jerk, melodramatic reaction.
    • Up x 1