challange for non infill veterans and skilled infiltrators

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by breeje, Jul 21, 2016.

1. breeje

i challenge veterans and skilled infiltrators to make a new character
    play exclusively for one to two weeks as a infill with the Trap
    i even ask for NC and VS players for this challenge

the reason i ask this is cause of the misunderstanding of the trap
    i keep hearing how bad this weapon is and want to debunk it's reputation
    yes this weapon is not for newbies that's why i ask veterans and skilled infills for there help
    the new character is to save you're KDR cause i know some will struggle in the beginning and die allot

maybe after this challenge you can report back and help to the reputation of the trap
    or proving the few trap players wrong and tell them they are an exception
  2. Liewec123

lol i actually made a TR infil and exclusively used the trap for the first 25 levels :p
    i've since switched them to stalker though.

trap is an awesome weapon, in 3xburst mode its a 2 hit kill anywhere on the body, that like a long range shotgun!
    • Up x 1
  3. FieldMarshall

Its a decent weapon. I dont think that many players are going to deny that it "works".
    Its just that no matter what situations you are in, there are better options than the TRAP.
    • Up x 1
  4. EPIC389

I'm saving up for it but i cant afford. I want it bad
  5. Eternaloptimist

Kinda tempting...........must check out how much a TRAP costs and see if I can play long enough without losing the will to live in order to get one.
  6. \m/SLAYER\m/

well, i don't like RailJack, it has delay, i prefer Longshot, but TRAP it close to Scout rifles play-style, if you can handle with TSAR, you will handle with TRAP too.
  7. Stigma

The TRAP is workable. It's not nearly as bad as it's reputation as a... well... "trap".

That said, it is underwhelming because of two main factors I feel:

1) Other weapons you have easy access to are generally equal or better.
    The TRAP is best described as 2 parts scoutrifle and 1 part semiauto sniper.

Compared to semiauto snipers it falls behind however as having less damage in a 2-round burst compared to a single more powerful shot has loads of downsides in accuracy and having to lead actively rather than just timing shots on moving targets. It is generally quite less effective at longer ranges.

Compared to scoutrifles it is much closer, and generally does not compare so badly to semiauto scoutrifles, but I struggle to find good reasons why I would ever want to use a TRAP at those same ranges over an auto-scout rifle.

2) It's gimmick of the three-shot burst to trade accuracy for firepower feels pretty useless overall.
    Firstly it doesn't seem like your maximum fire-rate is much higher if at all using 3-burst compared to 2. I don't have hard data on this, but I did auraxium the weapon so I have some experience of using it.

Secondly the accuracy of the 3-shot is really bad - and in a way that is nearly impossible to compensate for with skill.
    If the recoil was just higher then that's something you could adjust for, but instead you get 2 fairly accurate shots with low recoil followed by a very heavy recoil jump, and then the third shot. This is basically impossible to compensate for, so that third shot will generally miss unless you aim center mass at close range.

In conclusion I struggle to justify ever using 3-shot mode rather than spamming 2-shot even in close range. The tradeoff is not worthwhile. It would be nice if it got re-tooled into a full auto mode, but with significantly more recoil than an auto-scout as the drawback, making it more worth it as a CQC-mode and more skill-influenced. Alternatively, reworking the recoil on the 3-shot to at last make the recoil consistent between all three rounds.

The TRAP tries to be a little bit of both, but feels a little subpar compared to alternatives. Strictly compared to other semiauto scouts however I think it is good - but unfortunately this weapon category is a bit weak and underused overall.

Trivia: Fun to use supressed if that's your bag since it is as close to audibly silent as you can get in a gun. I think it is actually bugged since it only makes 1 supressed shot sound pr. triggerpull even in 3-shot bursts (and that one shot is pretty silent to start off with).

Compared to other empires: The Phaseshift suffers from the same "trying to be two things, but failing at both" problem, but arguably fails to a higher degree. It generally does not get used because of this. The Railjack is actually good - but it's viable niche is very small indeed (the longest ranges), and it's also quirky to use and requires re-learning. You see it used, but for most people it's too specialized and quirky to be worth the hassle most of the time. I feel the TRAP at least isn't any worse in comparison with these two - but I think all three are pretty "meh" at best.

Conclusion:
    Not as bad as people make it out to be, but more of an odd sidegrade with quirks rather than having a proper niche of it's own. Fully viable weapon though, especially if you like semiauto scouts to start with. That's my opinion anyway... feel free to disagree.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  8. The Rogue Wolf

It seems to me that many people who call the Trap "bad" are trying to use the 3-round burst at anything further than "barrel up the nostril" range. But as Stigma says, it's sort of got the same problem the Beamer does: It's a good weapon, but it's competing with weapons that do far better with just a little work.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hegeteus

You mean well, but there's already a lot of avid TRAP enthusiasts to turn to(and first of all, yourself)

The option is out there, and I personally enjoy using a weapon that's entire digits more unpopular than TRAP. Even if this ambitious campaign got picked up by some, majority of PS2 players will always stick with whatever they hear is the best

E: I'd take on your challenge gladly, but I've done an auraxium challenge like this once(post nerf PPA on Magrider) and I would now conclude it pointless because I almost never play as VS
    • Up x 1
  10. zaspacer

I am a very experienced Infiltartor, but I lack good aim. I tried the Trap for some while and felt it was fine, and I still use it once in a while, it's just not a gun I personally have the skills to outperform with.

I tend to use it just from just outside CQC to medium range, though I am ok using it in QCQ (as needed) unlike some other Infil weapons. And I can use it at farther Ranges, but not as a reliable killing tool (more to disrupt). Using it felt a like like using the old Airhammer: lot of manual clicking and aim adjustments, with Aim being a heavy factor in the power level of it, and the click spam control being very important as well.

I don't really use any of the Semi-Auto Scout Rifles and haven't for a while. The TRAP feels like it belongs in this category. I used to love the Nyx, but they changed it such that it lost its accuracy at longer ranges so I stopped using it. I think the Vandal is fun to use, but my accuracy limits my effectiveness with it so I stopped using it. They all fit that "just outside CQC to a 100m range", but this range area both (1) is only useful in some engagements and (2) isn't a super advantage to the Scout Rifle/Trap users to make using them in these ranges super meaningful.

There is a lot of the Infantry game that has kinda been made obsolete by power creep and players learning more about the game. Lots of Inafntry are now HA, and TTK is much longer on them because of dodging, shields, medkits, etc. This HA longer TTK means many guns just are much less effective at killing-them-as-intended (these weapons were never buffed to address the longer TTK: mag too small, ttk too slow, etc.) than they were at launch and than they were designed to be. In addition, Vehicles are spammed much more now, so many engagements that are non-CQC involve Vehicles which makes 100m Infantry Engagements and Scout Rifles ranges pointless. Most Scout Rifles struggle outside ~100m (including having to deal with appropriate Scope support), so this limits their usefulness as a jack-of-all-trades option (which the early Nyx used to be).

I am fine with the TRAP. I use it more than either the Railjack or Phaseshift. But it's not in a Class (Semi-Auto Scout Rifle... ues, I know it's listed in Snipers, but it performs much more like a SAScR) of weapons I find very useful, it's really reliant on aim for effectiveness, and the manual click spamming I find a pain/mess.
    • Up x 1
  11. Sil4ntChaozz

My new alt listed below is saving up for the TRAP. The Fancymans rifle, Noitsnotasniperrifle, it reminds me of the Combat Rifle from another game. Which is why I wants it. :p
    • Up x 1
  12. breeje

i know the feeling, my first 200 kills with the weapon are exactly like you describe
    after a while i started using it at the outer scrim of big battles with a maxed out spotter and in tower stumps
    i got my auraxium in no time with a silencer and 3 bullet shot
    i just waited until someone came close and used it as a silenced shotgun
    did the same thing with the vandal
  13. Sil4ntChaozz

Forgot to mention, you know how Pewdiepie played Dark Souls? That's about the skill level i have when playing cause
    1) If i skip doing something its like i forget the skill (might be autism)
    2) Relied on cloak far too much, so minimizing cloak use like in my old game has helped
  14. CaptCran

Unique gun for a elite class.
    TRAP is a great gun up close, in between, and far away. Running through all the weapons just to get the feel and find the "right one". It helped me transition from battle rifles to scout rifles then to bolt action sniper rifles. Definitely helped shape my single shot game.