[Suggestion] Center bases start uncontrolled

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Aug 5, 2020.

1. RabidIBM

I'm sure we've all been there. A continent opens, the leaders get to work on planning what bases they want to start the inevitable alert holding, and where they want to make their outfit resources. On the agenda is the top tier purple resource. The trouble is, your own faction started out owning the center base, so attacking it isn't an option right away. Instead you plan somewhere worth the mid tier blue resource to go after. The plan is that after the mid base falls, you can counter attack it to reclaim it in your outfit's name and put it to work. Only problem, after 30 minutes you haven't lost the damn thing yet because 96+ farmers won't get off it.

I propose (and some warp gate re balance would be needed, but it's already needed) that the middle territories start uncontrolled, inviting a race to the center. With no faction starting out with defensive spawn, spawn hunting would be very valuable. This way we could more reliably get the war assets out (which yes, they need balance work, and yes the current base capture system tends to reward zerg fits, I've already made other posts on these topics) allowing more of the game content to be consistently available.

I would also do this to the 1 minute bases so outfits and their builders can plan for mid tier resource production more easily.

For warp gate balance, I'll touch on what I would do with Indar. There is already an imbalance here, in that the northern warpgate wins the most, and eastern wins the least. I recognize that I would be taking a starting base away from the warpgate that wins the least, so here's what else I would do.
    1. Give Crossroads Watchtower to the eastern warpgate. Holding both of Regent Rock Garrison and Crossroads Watchtower is a very powerful combination for either of the southern warpgates. Right now, the territories west of these towers often go unchallenged, as neither of these towers fall. If these towers were split 1 for each southern warpgate, it would open up more battle opportunities.
    2. Change Dahaka Amp Station. Swapping the spawn room and SCU room was an interesting experiment, and the experiment has produced results: utter toxicity. This layout is massively unbalanced in favor of the defenders. Either switch the two back, or change it to a triple point amp station, or try another experiment. Do anything, because currently Dahaka is a brick wall that greatly favors the northern waprgate.
    3. Give Dahaka Southern post to the western warpgate. I recognize this one is a bit abnormal, but given the current balance issue, I don't think this is unwarranted. Give the westerners a bit more incentive to fight the northerners by dangling a blue carrot in front of them.

As for other continents: Esamir is already a hot mess, I don't have much input for Hossin because I generally avoid it, and I'd be interested to hear what others think about Amerish.