Carnage BR or NS11A

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Batisat, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Nintyuk

NS-11 is a weapon that's got no strengths but no weaknesses, It's viable in all scenarios and will not let you down at any turn. But there are many guns that do things better than the NS-11 but they all give something up to do so.

It will never amaze you but it will also never fail you.
  2. Zenith

Agreed. It's actually a mix of all three factions' strengths and weaknesses, which means that it's probably the most balanced AR in the game. The only real issues appear once you move into extreme CQC, where the low RoF will often get you killed, but aside from this it's an excellent all-round weapon.
  3. MrK

LOL
    We have access to, simply, the best default empire specific gun in the game, as NC medics. It's called Gauss, it's well suited for any situation, it's not gimped in CQB, far from it, and contrary to the others default ESAR and the CQB options, it doesn't suck mid-long range.

After 4+ months of playing, it's time NC get on better terms with their weapons, we should now know better. "NC has no viable infantry weapon" is so last november.

@OP : looking for a longer range option, I'd advise giving Gauss another long try. It's awesome. I did it after trying varied options, I'm in love since. Not tried Carnage, though, one of the few NC CM AR I didn't test.
    I take Gauss over NS11A any day.
    • Up x 1
  4. Softcore

QFT
  5. FlayvorOfEvil

I really enjoy the Carnage BR in the VR arena. Slapped a compensator, advance foregrip, ammo of your choice and a sight of your choice. It has super high ROF and Accuracy (for close to mid range encounters.) Plus it fires really fast.
  6. llPendragon

I got the GR-22 sometime in the distant past, and haven't found anything better since. I really had a good impression of the Carnage on the VR range though, so maybe it's worth a try.
  7. lilleAllan

Mid-range? Gauss Rifle.

Good bullet speed, easy recoil, minimal damage drop off. Can also hold it's own on close range. It's like the no-******** version of the Mercenary.
  8. Valaska

The NS11 has 5 more rounds, and this literally will make all the difference. More rounds instantly ='s easier to use, more leniency, you can screw up a bit and still manage to kill someone etc. Take the Cycler TRV for instance, a complete autistic can use it and still make 2-3 kills in a group because of its 40 round mag.
    • Up x 1
  9. AssaultPig

The reaper is like a baby gauss SAW; I like it a lot.
  10. llPendragon

I've been using the Carnage a lot lately, and I kinda agree here. The Carnage shoots almost 100 rpm faster than the NS-11, but has fewer bullets per magazine. This can cause some problems. You may have to burst at range with the Carnage, where you can just lay on the trigger with the NS-11.
    On the other hand, the higher ROF does help in CQB. Since they both have the same bullet damage, the NS-11 is noticeably weaker inside.

I tend to close the distance between me and the enemy as much as possible, so the medium-to-long range is pretty irrelevant for me. Mostly, I need something that can get me into a tower, Bio Lab, or Tech Plant and keep me alive once I'm there. This has me leaning more towards the GR-22 or Carnage than the NS-11. YMMV

My rankings:
    CQB = Shotgun > GR-22 > Carnage > NS-11
    Medium = NS-11 > Carnage > GR-22
    Long = Not my thing

Current Kits:
    All-around = Carnage with adv grip, compensator, and 1x sights
    CQB/Defense = Shotgun
    Night = GR-22 with IRNV and silencer
  11. Funch

It's a little old, but this is a good movie depicting what the NS11 can do:

It's overall not a bad review. BTW, my first rifle was the Carnage, and I still use it today.
  12. Intruder313

You already have the best NC Medic Weapon in the form of the GR-22 (certainly best for short ranges, I don't fight beyond those because I'm busy administering aid if there's no enemies close by).
    High RoF and great TTK have allowed me to destroy people who expected an easy Medic kill.

The Carnage BR is practically identical except that it recoils left AND right making it harder to compensate for.
    I think the only other benefit of the Carnage was a different set of attachments. If this is the one that can mount an Adv. Grip then get it for ranges where the GR-22 starts to suffer.

The NS-11A is decent if only for the larger clip and all-round performance but it won't kill close targets like the GR-22 (practically nothing will).

The Reaper is awful unless you are using it like a Battle Rifle, 200 damage @ 10m is not that relevant when you are lucky to land more than 1 hit in the time your GR-22 would have landed 5. The recoil of the Reaper is insane. Long range only!
  13. KnightCole

Carnage BR is a good gun for NC Medics? I sure as hell hate the NC1. Even with grip its recoil is oh unholy BS bad. I have rerolled several medics trying to get a good KD and fail each time...then again, 2 isnt bad...but wouch. Overall the NC1 sucks.

Whats a better gun to use? Is the DMR a AR or Carbine? I spend all my time as HA.
  14. Flashtirade

The DMR is an AR. It hits for 200 like the SAW but in return has high recoil and 20 rounds per magazine. As for recommendations, the GR-22 is a CQC beast and the NS-11A is a good mid-range weapon. The Gauss Rifle and variants are also meant for mid-range, but they need to be fired in bursts or you'll be whiffing a lot of shots.
  15. KnightCole

The GR is just a whiffer period....recoil is crazy on that thing. Like the TR guns...all over hte place
  16. ROMNEYTRON

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TAR have a larger magazine?
  17. Sossen

Yes, but the GR-22 reloads faster, has less horizontal recoil and less vertical recoil.
  18. Tekuila

I can't stand using NC assault rifles, and the reason is the magazines are so small. I end up using the NS11 simply because of the 5 extra bullets.

The 30 rounds just isn't enough with the crappy recoil patterns on the weapons. TR assault rifles are simply superior in every way really.
  19. IronTyrant

personally i like the carnage as it is fairly good up close an can handle medium ranges to a fair stranded too, at medium ranges i would say the ns just has the legs on it but not by much. cost can always be a factor though as the ns can be used on all factions and alts, but the carnage is also fairly cheap to buy

my review of the carnage
  20. TheFencer0

When I first started this game, everyone and their brother told me to use the NS-11A. I bought it with SC, and I can honestly say is was the biggest mistake I ever made with PS2. The gun just feels bland. Sure, you can kit it out a bunch of different ways, but that doesn't forgive it for being lackluster in every respect.

Perhaps I am just weird, but after you get a feel for NC recoil, go back and use the standard Gauss Rifle. It is, by far, my favorite NC AR, and I roll with it when I am not sure what my engagement range will be (or if I know my ranges will vary greatly). Throw a 3.4 cross scope on it, and a foregrip. Some swear by the laser sight, and if you need it, by all means, but I ADS so much with it that a laser sight is moot.

My suggestion is that you trial a bunch of the ARs, and see how they feel. Don't listen to everyone (especially people who feel that the NC specific ARs are garbage -- they are not, you just have to ADS and practice a little trigger discipline).