Carbine or shotgun?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Rapid_Sausage, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Achmed20

that indeed is true. that would probably be a never ending discussion :D
    ADS does the trick. aim for the torso and the second shot (with piston at least) almost alyways goes for the head.
  2. Ghoest

If you are using slugs in CQC you made a mistake even the piston firing full auto is painfully slow and all the guns have bad COF.- but mistakes happen all the time I guess. But I would not even bother considering CQC with slugs as part of my decision.
  3. kagekiri

I play VS Engi as a main class, and thus use carbines and shotguns a lot. I think Serpent and VX6-7 are better all-rounder choices than a shotgun.

I've managed to outgun HAs close up 1v1 with my Serpent, which was a lot rarer using the Solstice SF (frigging broken underslung nade launcher...). With the SF, I'd barely get half a mag unloaded before dying, so I just didn't have sufficient DPS; with the Serpent, I'm mostly dead because I emptied my clip and missed too often. Basically, the Serpent doesn't leave me feeling outgunned against most classes/weapons 1v1, only outplayed.

Serpent is pretty amazing up close, and I'm told the VX6-7 is only a touch slower ROF with a faster reload. The Serpent takes forever to reload and effectively empties a clip per person (if you suck at aiming like me), so it may be pretty prone to running out of ammo when used on a non-suicidal LA. It's also decent at mid to long range with a scope; its hipfire with advanced laser is great, so you can afford to grab a higher magnification scope without sacrificing your close-range ability.

I also have a Nova, and have had a few good pellet-ammo runs with close range charges using LA, but so many regions have wide open areas that you'll sacrifice a lot of sniping opportunities. When I equip slugs and a 4x scope...well, enemies standing still have no chance, and you can easily learn to lead steadily running targets as well. Most of my Nova kills are sniper range kills with slugs, but when they start firing back at mid range, I usually have to duck out. They're not great head-to-head (where both parties are aware of and shooting each other) weapons against much besides long-distance enemies, but they're great for sniping unaware enemies from odd positions only LAs can get to, or while attacking from odd angles. A slug shotgun is the closest thing to a sniper rifle that an LA can get.

But that's the thing with shotguns; you kinda have to choose between near-point-blank effectiveness with pellets, or very long range effectiveness with slugs. Mid range, you'll lose in a head to head fight most times against nearly any automatic weapon (which is....most of them); with slugs or pellets; you can't ADS with a scope without the return fire making aiming utterly impossible, and hipfiring slugs is horrible, while with pellets, you can only tickle enemies at mid range. Close, up, slugs can be hipfired with a lot of luck, but they're pretty terrible without ADSing, and long range, pellets are just signals to snipers that you're ready to be shot.

The Thanatos might be handier for a more well-rounded slug shotgun; it can equip a 2x Reflex scope for a semi-sniping but still close-quarters capable kind of weapon. However, that's more guessing than anything concrete, as I don't own one yet.
  4. Benton!

There will be so many situations when you have a shotgun and wish you had a carbine, it's not worth it. Get the CQB carbine, or a shotgun with slugs.
  5. Achmed20

why does every1 keep saying this? you always have a fair chance to end up in unwanted CQC sometimes.

never had that since i went full shotgun. but im using a reather agresseiv playstyle for an LA anyway.
  6. Benton!

[quote="Achmed20, post: 907478, member: 104806"
    never had that since i went full shotgun. but im using a reather agresseiv playstyle for an LA anyway.[/quote]

Right, but I have had so many times when i'm fighting an enemy across a room, and its 15-20m away, too far for the shotgun. How do you counter people engaging just outside your max effective range for shotgun?
  7. Ghoest

Experience mostly.
    Ive killed quite a few people up close with slugs and have experimented with various set ups fore at close and near close ecounters under 30 yards(the best was a sweeper with a 1x or 2x sight and laser pointer.)
    My eventual conclusion was that it was just a bad replacement for a carbine.
    The biggest problem is flinch the second biggest problem is the COH is pretty poor if you move or shoot fast.

If you want a sniper type slug gun and for some reason you absolutely must have some CQC potential I suggest a sweeper with a 3.4 red dot scope and a laser pointert.
  8. Achmed20

im using he drifter jets almost exclusively which makes it really easy to strafe past them and shoot them in the back.
    players usualy ADS on you and the sensivitiy is way to low to make them able to follow you while drifting/strafing past them. thats what i ment by rather agressive playstyle ;)
  9. Formori

I use carbines for open area warfare and my shotgun when I want to do some close quarter fighting. I also use the thermal scope with the shotgun as it lets me find infiltrators when they are cloaked.

so if I'm defending or attacking a base I use my shotgun and if I'm out in the open getting to the base or the enemy hasn't got to the base yet I use my carbine.
  10. Mrasap

I run out of the room and engage the enemy on my own terms.
  11. gunshooter

Please explain how it's a "mistake." You can't choose every fight and no matter what gun you're using you're going to end up getting into less than ideal situations. Thanks for telling me what I clearly already know though very helpful.
  12. Unnoan

There is one thing a carbine can do that a shotgun can't and that is equip a grenade launcher. There is something satisfying about flying or being perched over a huddled group of enemies and launching a grenade killing 3 of them instantly. It truly is a great tool in the right hands and not that hard to aim either.
  13. Ghoest

And u suppose if your sniping you choose the semi-auto over the blot action just in case you get jumped.
  14. Ghoest

You are saying you have killed 3 with 1 under barrel grenade launcher shot?
  15. japro

Go to a amp station you are defending when the shields just have fallen, go onto the roof and lob nades into the groups of medics waiting around the corners outside :D... works every time.
  16. Unnoan

Yes, it was during a base assault and they may likely have been injured but I dropped three of them none the less. Think about how many times teams camp spawn rooms, generator rooms, terminals and bunch up. That is when the UBGL shines in my experience. Its great to have during those times you find yourself in vantage points.
  17. Ghoest

Were talking about the under barrel launcher.
  18. Foefaller

Well, translate that to VS and you get:

Nova
    Serpent

The Nova is the VS's large clip semi-auto shotgun, and other than a slightly faster CoF bloom for the GD-7F, and the Serpent taking almost a second longer to reload a full clip, those two are almost identical.

...though for VS I'd take the VX6-7. It does almost as much damage as the Serpent (unlike how the GD is leagues and bounds beyond the other NC carbines) but with a much shorter reload, reducing the odds of having to pull out your pistol for defence because you haven't finished reloading yet
  19. japro

So do I.
  20. Regpuppy

First part, once you have the extended mag for the piston. There really is no reason for the sweeper. It fires slower and doesn't really have more range or hitting power per shot. If you -want- to better time your shots and movements, you can do so with the piston. But if you need to blast away at full auto and mow down two or three people, you can. Sweeper can't do that as effectively.

I've used slugs, and they extend a shotguns range. But I find that if I'm going to bother using a shotgun, it's going to be at close range with default shot. For every class I've played, they all have a gun available to them that is much more effective at medium range. So using slugs only serves to give me a short range weapon that wants to be a mid range weapon but ends up failing at both. My GD-7F far outperforms a shotgun using slugs at both medium and close range.
    • Up x 1