Carbine or shotgun?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Rapid_Sausage, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Rapid_Sausage

and which is the best of both?
    edit: i should indicate i'm VS
  2. Ghoest

Sweeper
    GD-7F

Get both its not either or.
  3. AMW1011

Use both when appropriate, or get good with slug ammo. Thanatos is my favorite for VS, I really like the fast reload.
  4. CobraBoss

Shotguns are weird , sometimes you 1 shot stuff other time you shoot 6 shots point blank in the face on a guy and miss , id stick with carbines but hey you might get lucky and get crazy streaks with it or get completly frustrated and scratch your head.
  5. gunshooter

This is because you're using slugs, buckshot doesn't have this problem. Slugs are notoriously inaccurate when hipfired.
  6. Regpuppy

He's VS, so that likely means nothing to him :p

I personally prefer the piston as my shotgun of choice. With the extended mag, it renders the sweeper as obsolete. Sweeper with extended mag is only useful in unrealistic situations where you can shoot that many shots without time to reload or dying.
  7. gimmethebullets

Ideally a shotgun for inside built up areas and a medium to long range carbine for open ground, I'm not an expert on VS kit but most of it is extremely accurate so if you don't want to buy/grind for two weapon the stock solstice carbine will be more than adequate for medium range, or grab the almost identical SF version for some great attachments.

For shotguns I only see two choices:

There's the pandora, it's main selling point is that it's automatic, a point blank shotgun blast to the face generally one-shots any non-MAX infantry, so the automatic firing speed only helps me kill enemies just outside of that range that can take 2-3 shots to kill. That's not exactly ammo efficient, but it's quick.

Then there's the nova, which is semi-automatic. Potentially it won't kill as quick as the pandora, but like I said if you're close enough, and can aim for the face, it'll still blow them away with one shot. The nova has an 8 shell magazine, which also means you carry more rounds in total, that's 48 shells compared to the pandora's 36, that can make a huge difference to LA's who don't see engys often.
  8. Ghoest

No.
    1 A good case can be made that youll kill more people with the sweeper by better timing your shots with movement.
    This depends on your play style.

2 SLUGS!!!!!
    Slugs are horrible with the Piston. But with the Sweeper they are excellent for sniping when the occasion calls for it..
  9. Achmed20

absolut bullsh1t!
    i sniped people barely withing renderrange beeing nothing more then a bunch of pixel with the piston slugs.
    ADS the piston + slugs hit where you point em (falloff aside) and hipfireing slugs wont work with ANY shotgun out there.

if anything, the sweeper is at disadvatange here because of the awfull low firerate slugs will give you.
  10. gunshooter

Shotguns are the one weapon in the game where you can really use whatever you want and not notice a performance difference. This goes for both slugs and buckshot. Any arguments over the best shotgun are just pointless when it's all minor differences for preference.
  11. Themanwithaplan

Carbines, Razor, and I have nothing else to say about it.
  12. Achmed20

care explain?

i got the piston and the sweeper and i find the sweeper a waste of certs (sc) because it is so "slow". especialy when using slugs and finding myself in some unwanted CQC situtaion, the sweeper has a real speed problem. in a game where TTK matters this much, this is a real killer.

OT:
    CQC: the GD-7F (its a beast) or shotguns (i favor shotguns)
    Medrange: default gun, gauss-s (most versatile), ac-x11 or shotty +slugs
    longrange: ac-x11 or shotty+slugs

thats at least my personal list. trialed the oter guns but so far i didnt liked em very much.
  13. Ghoest

I get the feeling Achmedeither hasnt used the sweper or he hasnt used the piston actually.

The Sweeper isnt slow with slugs - at least not slower than the Piston. You can pull the trigger easily as fast as the automatic fire with slugs.
  14. Meiu

The sweeper with slugs is actually slower than the piston with slugs. There is no actual benefit using a sweeper with slugs over a piston with slugs, the primary difference is how you use them without slugs.
  15. Ghoest

Slugs are for range not up close.
    If you are firing auto at range you wont be sniping effectively.
  16. Meiu

I don't think you understood my post.
  17. Achmed20

like i said, i got both. slugs reduce rof which is allready annoying enough when using them with the piston.
    slugs + sweeper are even worse.

maybe you dont notice the difference but i sure do.
  18. gunshooter

The sweeper has higher clip size and higher total ammo capacity by a lot. Lots of people also prefer semi auto for slugs since you have to compensate for recoil anyway so you won't need full auto when adsing. Either way the extra rof is really minor and if you instagib someone with the piston you probably would have instagibbed them just as well with the sweeper.
    • Up x 1
  19. Achmed20

while that is true for sniping, you are going to have a serious disadvatange if you end up in a CQC somehow (which is pretty common unless you are camping somewhere). thats where the/my problem is.

with drifters and the piston i feel like a mini max, hacksawing my way through enemy lines :D
  20. gunshooter

Well slugs already aren't great for cqc anyway, but shotguns are all preference so whatever. I find that when I die with my nova (semi auto vs shotgun) in cqc it's not because I didn't fire fast enough, but because my slugs didn't hit.