[Suggestion] Cap on lancer and vortex range

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by descolada512, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Keiichi58

Note - My Icon - NC... To be even more honest, I play NC up to BR 92, VS at 73 and TR 73... I was there when the Annihilator and the Striker squads were wiping out armor columns and that only happened because, at the time, I was running with EXE coordinated groups where they actively organized groups to do so.

VS and NC were crap when it came to organizing such things.

The VS mopping up tanks that I have seen on Connery... Were the guys bailing out of a Galaxy on a tank or two, using S7s, Nemesis or Decimators at close range... Not with Lancers and that was the best any VS on Connery did for organization that I have seen, a SQUAD...

The Lancer and Vortex weapons are not used that often by the VS cause most of the VS hate the charge mechanic... Even given it has the better pelting long range, it still takes a user 2 to 3 seconds to charge up a worth while hit which is not as hard as the one at less than 400m... Most Lancer/Vortex Engagements are 400m+, which is again subjective to how much is showing and if you are sitting there exposed to let them hammer you with it.

What more, I forgot to mention a slight flaw in the argument about counters with regards to the Phoenix. If you are in an MBT, are you going to say you will 100% successfully shoot down a phoenix rocket, what more with your main gun? Any NC worth his salt using a Phoenix round will spawl his shot to make sure to make it hard to shoot down. You have to rely on OTHER people firing small rounds, walker, or skyguard rounds to try and do that... And in all my time playing this, that happens rarely. This counter argument is moot.

Smoke/Flare? Great... That bought you about a couple seconds of immunity, but if you are still in range of lockon, after that immunity goes, you are now without a means to shake it off if they are patient enough to wait for it to allow them to lock on. This is typical of air encounters for ESFs using flares. Any pilot using flares knowing they have a ground lock know they need to go low and get terrain in the way to make the next lockon attempt moot.

So again, the counters for the lancer/vortex range is making sure you make it hard for them to see you, which mostly air power tends to make lancer/vortex have a harder time, which means you need to dedicate skyguard/AA MAX to cover that weakness, which then leads to how much dedication you can have towards infantry scaling up.

This is all about tactics... And to be honest, a lot of you fail in the basic tactics.
    • Up x 1
  2. gloowa

This. He knows. Listen to him.
  3. Chaen

Just a quick note to those using the Oracle of Death numbers to demonstrate that the Lancer's vehicle killing capacity is greater than those of the other launchers. It's just as possible given the numbers that Lancers are more capable of sniping the last shot on a wounded vehicle given that it can be fired without charging for smaller damage.

I run Enhanced Targeting with my Lancer loadout because I can see how much health a tank has left and can charge (or not charge) my shots accordingly. Couple that with the velocity and it's a great weapon for poaching vehicle kills. My apologies to friendlies who've been denied their kill using conventional rockets.
  4. Keiichi58

One of the benefits of playing all three sides and seeing the weaknesses and strengths and constantly face palming on the side I am on when they don't do the 'smartest thing' on a defensive or offensive...
    • Up x 1
  5. Forumside

For the most part, this is the real power of the Lancer/Vortex. It's not the ability to destroy vehicles, but rather to kill steal from other VS. I stated this when the weapon came out (I was one of the few who stupidly got it on the first day because we didn't test it out in the, what also came out in the same update, VR). From the get go, I could see it was INCREDIBLY weak and it's strongest asset was the high bullet velocity which allowed you to jump in, and finish a flaming vehicle before a buddy's rocket or tank shell was able to do the job.