[Suggestion] Cap on lancer and vortex range

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by descolada512, Aug 27, 2014.

1. descolada512

A while ago the engineer AT turret was changed and given a maximum range to stop players from shooting at tanks from outside of render distance but the lancer and the VS Maxe's vortex VM21 still can (though not by much for the max since it renders further out but can still be just out of render range)

These weapons should have a maximum range similar to the AT turret to give vehicles a chance at being able to react. Its no fun having my sunderer getting sniped at from a target that I cant see 450m+ away as I lumber my fat rear for the nearest bit of cover :(
    • Up x 12
  2. MotionBlured

You have plenty of time to react to a lancer.
    • Up x 6
  3. IrishPride

Like when it is about to be destroyed? when you are kinda out of range of your own sunderer? things being attacked outside of render range is just bad. Yes one lancer probably will not do much harm out of render range, but not being able to see the enemy while in the open out of range to have a fair reaction is another thing kinda like how ridiculous OP the striker was.
    • Up x 9
  4. MotionBlured

Find a better parking spot.
    • Up x 3
  5. descolada512

I can react but can my lumbering sunderer? and I know what your thinking but I refuse to use racer chassi because being able to turn and actually use reverse is more useful in my eyes :p
  6. Leftconsin

Are YOU somehow magically capable of dodging Lancer shots?
    • Up x 15
  7. GhostAvatar

Yes you do. But your reaction more often than not is to simply take the damage until you lose your tank. It was the same thing with AV turrets. And we all saw how that argument ended up with a nerf. Unfortunately for you, since it is empire specific. You going to be facing a lot more opposition on forumside.
    • Up x 3
  8. MotionBlured

Don't have to dodge them. Find some cover (you'll have plenty of time), repair, bask in your free xp.

AV turrets did a lot more damage, and unlimited ammo.
    • Up x 3
  9. descolada512

Yeah but they were given a maximum effective range ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. asmodraxus

If your dying to Lancers then you've done something wrong, like being out in the open and being slow and predictable. Hint move, turn and drive erratically, and find cover.

Lancers require this thing called aiming and at range leading of the target.

Otherwise expect similar whines about how OP phoenixes are as nothing can park safely with 300m of an enemy spawn room as those NC can destroy my (insert random vehicle here) from complete safety, and not the relative safety those Lancers are killing your ground vehicle.

A single Lib / ESF loaded for air to ground work could kill the lot of them, unlike those NC sitting in said spawn room.
    • Up x 3
  11. ATRA_Wampa-One

I'm guessing the OP plays NC on Emerald... :cool:

Also, the Lancer is the lowest DPM/DPS of the empire launchers.

The Striker is currently gimped due to being nerfed (nerfs were entirely justified but SOE overkilled it), but it's being changed into shoulder mounted coyotes in the future.
  12. Sixstring

I would say both the Lancer and the Phoenix could use a range reduction heck I would say ALL lock-on RL's could use a significant range reduction. Everybody complains about the striker being bad but I'd say it's the only one that's actually fair other than the fact that it can't dumbfire which is getting fixed. The mechanics of the game itself make these weapons broken,rockets cost no resources,infantry are extremely versatile and the the rockets are not weak especially when they're used in large numbers. Players may as well not even use tanks since infantry AV gives imo too much bang for your buck.
  13. MotionBlured

Lancers also have a maximum effective range.
  14. RHINO_Mk.II

True.

What you don't have time to react to is 6 lancers.
    • Up x 3
  15. MotionBlured

If there's 6 lancers aimed at the same target, you have bigger issues than just lancers.
    • Up x 1
  16. Doc Jim

Not having time to react to six Lancers is in order.
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

You don't have time to react to 6 of anything in this game... so your point is completely invalid.
    • Up x 7
  18. IrishPride

Well regardless of Lancer or not or 'finding a better parking spot', enemies that do not render in the open is still pretty flawed either way you dissect the issue. I would not care other wise, but rendering problems is not just an issue with lancers anyway.
  19. descolada512

I play TR on Connery as well

The problem I have isn't its damage its the fact that it can effectively engage targets from ranges where the game wont even render in your character (and sometimes the lancer tracers) which feels cheep and can be exploited; guilty for doing it back before the range nerf to the AT turret.
  20. Halcyon

Find a better argument defending a crappy and unbalanced game mechanic.
    • Up x 1