Canis. Why it's not OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AISkander, Dec 11, 2017.

1. AISkander

Well what we got here. A sperimental (becouse that's all vanu is about) weapon.
    Looks cool, i'm trying it out...

...Why did i spent 1000 certs on this?

Ok let's discuss:
    It's a fair SMG, but doesn't do it's job better of its counterpart. You can all argue that the "unstable ammunition" is one of the strongest in the game...but it's really not. It works only at mid-point blank range and isn't a big of a deal since between FIRE RATE and MUZZLE VELOCITY i've seen people dodging the bullets.
    The Fire rate is lower then in the description becouse as it's written THE GUN TAKES TIME TO FULLY CHARGE TO ITS RPM.
    We have a slow firing smg. Which takes time (thus lower it's already poor accuracy) to fire faster

I would trade it anytime for a fast fire 167 dmg all around good SMG as the Jackal
    Or the pocket Gauss saw that's the Gladius.

PS: the first 5 shots have a slower fire rate then the NC gladius. That has 200 base dmg (didn't deep tested it but that was the feeling in the VR training)

Kek, now you can nerf the unstable ammunition, but i would be pissed if you don't take account of everything else
  2. freeAmerish

Well, I see no way to defend unstable ammunition, beside the other stats.
    And why must this thing have such a big magazine size?
  3. Prudentia

the big mag size is because of the horrendisly slow windup of 24 bullets to max rof. yay for 14 shots at max rof after you already dished out damage to kill 4 people and miraclously didn't yet.
  4. AISkander

Becouse it's fire rate would be 100% when finishing the clip otherwise. That's just plain moronic (while DESTROYING your accuracy)

Immagine a Lynx that has 600 RPM then becomes 900 when it has 15 round left in the magazine (losing the trigger resets the charging)
  5. freeAmerish

You can stay Sirius.
  6. Jac70

It's not OP in any way. Unstable ammo is not OP either - it just means the gun is a bit more forgiving for aim at close range. People aren't whining about the Gladius instagibbin' people at close range! Why not? Assymetric balance was one of the goals for the game early on but I guess it's too hard to have differences in weapons between factions because people just complain endlessly about it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Prudentia

oh i actually am. haven't bought the canis and i'm auraxing the sirius on my engi right now whenever i'm not working on the terminus
  8. AISkander

They should just leave the flavor of "experimental alien thingy" to VS weapons. But people whine about things that are new....when a Pocket GAUSS FREAKING SAW as the Gladius is well...accepted
    • Up x 1
  9. freeAmerish

So, you pre fire to get the maximum rpm? Than you have less accuracy and need more bullets. Is this the logic behind, defending the biggest magazine on a SMG after Failstorm?

As I wrote above, no way to defend the legal Hitbox manipulation. Many will complain to eternity, only look at Lasher...
  10. AISkander

They gave that ammo pool becouse the weapon would be just as usless as the first spiker otherwise.

The lasher is just good at a support-long range level. It's not a 1v1 weapon. BUT it's a very good weapon notherless. It's also a cool concept.
  11. HAXTIME

You don't understand the psychological effect the Unstable Ammunition has on your opponents.
    When people know that their enemies have an actual hitbox enhancer, they have no way of telling whether they were killed because their opponent had accurate aim, or because they had the unstable ammo. It does not let people judge their own capabilities after an engagement, and they'll automatically assume the latter to maintain self esteem.

It's a crappy mechanic that needs to go and the Canis must have something else. Splash damage, damage-over-time, increased damage at range are all fine for me, make it actually OP if you want, I like the challenge. But not unstable ammo. It's crappy. It creates a poisonous uncertainty that will plague many engagements to come.

It's not good for the game.

Now before going further and starting to blame me for being bad, I actually think the Jackal is superb, and I'm having a nice blast with it, especially the burst attachment. I also don't think the Canis is OP per se, but it's a big challenge facing it on the field. The Unstable Ammo needs a revamp.
    • Up x 1
  12. freeAmerish

Useless indeed.

And it comes along with complaining about the splash damage, which is exclusive to VS.

Exactly this...
  13. AISkander

For the lasher: VS doesn't have a CHAINGUN that fast fires vomiting bullets. VS doesn't have a Semi auto heavy shotgun that is the king of 1v1s at close range. It's an empire specific. VS doesn't have 200 dmg weapons as it doesn't have the TR rate of fire and ammo capacity. It's a feature.

For the Canis: Right now yes, inferior ammo pool would mean the weapon death
  14. AtckAtck

We having a thread about this topic alone is proof enough that it is not balanced enough.
  15. JibbaJabba

Sorry, but the unstable ammo *IS* OP.

I'm not saying this just because I've been on the game breaking receiving end of a platoon of these. I'm saying it because I've used it myself.

In CQB it is downright hilariously overpowered. I never use the spin up and the "low" non spun rate of fire is just fine. Swing your aim wildly, then zero in on the area around the shoulders of your enemy. Tappy tap tap tap.. Move to the next target, don't bother waiting for the death animation to start. He's dead.

Outside of CQB in 1v1s, I've had infiltrators get the drop on me then caught up quickly in damage with the same technique. Just hipfire in the general upper third of your target and enough rounds will headshot that you win.

The other two SMGs will outgun you at medium range. At the long end of medium range things even back out again, as you can do aimed (nothing previously described was really aimed) headshots. Your CoF will try to make you miss but the round size offsets.

There are plenty of things right about the gun that the unstable ammo issue can be resolved and still leave this as a great CQB.

My own suggestion:
    (option 1, keep the cheese)
    Leave the increased round size.
    Drastically reduce the headshot bonus. Maybe normal +25%
    Drastically reduce the spin up time when using UA. Make it half what it is now.

(option 2, lose the cheese)
    Remove increased round size.
    Drastically reduce the spin up time when using UA. Make it half what it is now, possibly make it instant with UA. <--The new bonus from UA.
    Eliminate initial shot CoF decrease from the UA. <-reward skill
    Reduce the CoF bloom from UA. <--reward skill.
  16. freeAmerish

You don´t need to defend it, since I think firing 1000 rounds to get three guys behind a box is ********.
    The thing is, some ppl complain often about Lasher and now you get this ten times more with Canis.

Then give Jackal a 50 rounds and Gladius a 40 rounds magazine.
  17. AISkander

I won't give the Gladius and Jackal a buff, why? Becouse they are powerful already. We are talking about a SMG that DOESN'T FIRE FAST
  18. freeAmerish

With 600x167dmg? Where is the SMG extra punch for CQC or a special trade? Eridani got at least with its standard rpm 10 meter effective range by deffault.
  19. AISkander

We are talking about Canis and its update counterparts (gladius, jackal)

Also: I lost a 1v1 with a chaingun heavy, while firing first, becouse the chaingun got at full RPM before me.

HAHAHAAH
  20. adamts01

I'm incredibly happy that I've been playing other games while this patch hit. I'll log on for the next patch. Have fun.
    • Up x 3