Canis 'Auto-Aim' Ammo Needs to Go

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rydenan, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Rydenan

At time of writing, the VE-S Canis has an absolutely staggering avg. accuracy of 34%. The next best SMG is the MKV suppressed, with an avg. accuracy of 25.8%. (And accuracy - at the cost of DPS - is the NS trait.)
    The AF-4 Keklone, which the Canis is most often compared with, has an avg. accuracy of 25.5%, meaning players are, on average, landing 34% more shots on target with the Canis than with the Cyclone (or any other SMG).

I've also noticed, anecdotally, that it seems almost impossible to ADAD dodge players using the Canis. And as silly as 'ADAD' is, it's very important in this game's engagements. Canis basically has 'dodge-negating' ammo.

At any rate, even if we look at the Canis' base fire rate of 500rpm, 34% more shots on target gives it an effective fire rate of 670rpm. Before spinup.

In the pursuit of full disclosure, I haven't used the Canis outside of VR yet. But I can say that the statistics paint a worrying picture, and that playing against the Canis has been extremely frustrating thus far.

Edit: Some more interesting stats:
    Average KDR:
    MGR-S1 Gladius: 2.48
    MG-S1 Jackal: 2.63
    VE-S Canis: 3.56
    • Up x 10
  2. DarkStarAnubis

I have unlocked the Canis (not used yet) and I did not even bother to unlock UA but ... If I had to choose ONE positive thing about UA is ADADing prevention :)

Besides, statistics have value only in big numbers. You are comparing the Canis lifecycle (2 days?) with the Cyclone one (how many years?). Maybe players are not accustomed to big bloating bullets but they will find a counter someday...

So we should wait a little bit more before starting the usual PS2 Lithany "Instagib ! OP ! Nerf ! Burn the Witch !"
    • Up x 2
  3. Rydenan

The statistics may change, but right now we can only go off what we have, and the picture is bleak indeed.
    Less-skilled players may pick the gun up as time goes on, but more-skilled players may do the same. And as people learn to use the weapon, they'll likely do better with it, not worse. So I'm skeptical that these stats will go down.

Besides, we can compare it with the other two new ES SMGs, which have the same lifecycle, and see that Canis is outperforming them by a mile. KPH, KPU, KDR, Accuracy: Canis is at the top in every category.
    • Up x 1
  4. Prudentia

nah, as soon as they nerf the headshot multiplier of the UA it'll just turn into a 500/167 SMG that has a better chance to hit compared to other guns while NC have a 500/200 and TR a 667/167
  5. Silkensmooth

Auto-aim is the future of this game. You have Coyotes and Hyenas in the air, and already there was the lasher.

I agree though, weapons which take no skill are ZERO fun to fight against and mostly make me want to log out.
    • Up x 1
  6. FateJH

I'd be willing to contest the perception that it should be unassailable.
  7. Blam320

I can't tell you how many times I've used the Lasher's splash damage to kill someone out of my immediate LoS. It's a superb suppression tool, but it stinks in CQC and in 1v1 situations where you can't effectively lead your shots.

The Canis is the opposite. The cone-of-fire penalty that comes with Unstable Ammo, plus Emission Condenser's 50% bullet velocity penalty basically solidifies it as a close-range anti-strafe-spam tool, as you don't need to be as vigilant in tracking your target, but the effective range drops off very quickly.
    • Up x 2
  8. Rydenan

I don't.. i.. what?
  9. FateJH

Now that you have I what at least once you can't really say you don't anymore, can you?

I don't think ADAD is so invaluable that something can't be made to work against the basic footwork.
  10. Pacster3

That's cause you are biased. Good players can do a good job with that gun right from the start, they won't get much better with it over time. Mostly longtime players or dedicated players have either enough certs laying around or are willing to invest money into a gun right away(it may be wasted afterall). That there are a lot of good players running with it right now is part of what makes it so frustrating for you to play against it...

It's day 2. Even if your numbers were right and it would really be 8% more accurate. So what? It's not like that is HUGE(especially gven that accuracy is only one number of a couple that matters for the damage per second of a gun). It''s 8%...not 80%. Definitely no reason to freak out as if VS got a portable nuke now. Give it some weeks and then it's time to talk about it(and scatmax, and vanguard shield, and lockdown...and...you know...most of that stuff is being complained about for YEARS)...

God forbid VS got something that MIGHT be stronger than what others got in that slot....
    • Up x 1
  11. Atorum

Maybe in 4 or 5 months you cant expect slight nerf to it, its a VS weapon, VS barely gets a nerf.
    Also, Wrel....
  12. boey

VS' weapons/equipment got/gets nerfed as much as TR's and NC's ones. The nerfing is quite well balanced around all factions. Who are you trying to fool?
    • Up x 2
  13. Blam320

Lancer got nerfed pretty much into uselessness. It's still used, but it's so clunky now you're better off just getting in closer and using your standard launcher.
  14. Mekk_TR

Yes Wrel is a VS... he gave Vs an OP weapon, the Canis....just for his fun to see VS killing everybody....
    Hope Daybreak can Nerf thta sh itt Canis before i quit the game.
  15. Mekk_TR

Can someone give more explanations on ''Auto ammo'' is ....? I cant believe that a gun is equiped with that...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Drsexxytime

Gun is fine as it's for CQC as it's velocity and range suck, and it's rounds clip objects/cover. It's situationally better than others.

Where it shines is against lag-wizards and their "ADAD" or "ADADCC" patterns when there's no cover in the way. It's a good equalizer to that for sure, and much needed until DBG fixes the latency/lag switch/lag wizardry.
    • Up x 2
  17. FateJH

If you don't know what it is, how can you not believe a gun can be equipped with it? That makes no sense.

The VE-S Canis has an unlockable alternate ammunition slot option called Unstable Ammunition. It increases the size of the weapon's projectiles (I am not certain by how much) and increases the weapon's hipfire cone of fire by 66%.
  18. Ziggurat8

Mjolner is pretty OP right now.

Just ride around in an Mjolner harasser and laugh at all the puny VS until they fix/balance/nerf everything.

Or, hop on the VS train FOTM. You can buy a Canis at level 10 or so.
  19. The Shady Engineer

Yep, Canis is busted and needs some stats reduced. I'm thinking in either reduce the magazine capacity or increase the reload speed. A 40 round magazine of 167 damage bullets that reloads in ~2 seconds is way over tuned. SMGs are supposed to be dueling weapons, not have LMG levels of damage-per-magazine to be able to mow down half a squad.

Unstable ammo is stupid. People said it was stupid when it was announced as Vanu's ES shtick. People who tried it on PTS both in VR and mock battles said it was stupid. Lo and behold the weapon goes live and unstable ammo turns out to be stupid. Who would've thunk.
    • Up x 1
  20. Blam320

Quit crying and just leave it at "The Canis should have it's reload speed or magazine size reduced, to bring it more in-line with the other SMGs." It's very, very difficult to sympathize and agree with someone if they openly flame and make problems out to be much larger than they really are.

That being said, we all know Unstable Ammo is going to have it's headshot multiplier reduced; I agree it should be an anti-ADAD spam CQC weapon, not a go-to for up to midrange. A reduction in reload speed would also be reasonable, if that isn't enough.
    • Up x 1