Cancelde my membership again

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by breeje, Jul 8, 2018.

1. TR5L4Y3R

when was vulcan released that helps to build a engine around multithreading and when has developement started on this game?
    f.e. planetary annihilation was made with multithreading in mind (as in one planet per thread) but even that game was limited as with the programms accessible to it for it´s developement, another game that is said to make heavy use of multithreading is ashes of the singularity .. i wont pretend to have any big idea on how all this stuff is build up .. all i am basicaly saying is don´t go around thinking this can so easily be done with the tools that were available back then and the tools that may be available now ..
    hardware may advance but the software to make propper use of it needs to catch up still ..

this is even more true once quantumcpu´s will be more of a thing ..
  2. JibbaJabba

Wait wait. Who said this game isn't multithreaded?
  3. TR5L4Y3R

just making a new game won´t solve performanceissues .. there are sooooo many factors that can influence performance
    be that coding the engine or having the game run over a coreserver, what kind of server to client conection is used to deliver information beween servers...
    how are the maps made, how detailed are the models how much terrain has any cpu to calcucate, what does it actualy show and not show to the player ... how are calculations actualy split between cores if there is multicore calcualtion actualy implemented .. etc. etc.

it´s not like you can just start over just because you screwed up somewhere ..
    instead they may go for smaller scale or something different entirely .. i don´t see a PS 3 happening in the next decade ..
  4. adamts01

The foundation of this game was built around CPUs having only a few cores, in hopes that clock speed would continue to increase. It's the same problem plaguing Arma 3. Any new game could be optimized for 8 cores, with plans for taking advantage of 16+ cores as technology advances, as clock speed isn't going to increase as fast as number of cores will. A game of this scale really needs a different foundation, and there's only so much duct tape they can put on PS2 to keep it limping along. I do hope they stabilize this game, but I really don't think we should expect any big improvements.
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

looking at very recent history we've had quite a few new empire specific weapons, THATS AWESOME!
    we've even got empire specific vehicle weapons! (albeit on the flash)

this is way more progress than we've had in years.

i do have concerns for the future, with their new ideas of lengthy wave spawns and even stricter spawn controlling.
    but no point complaining about ideas until they become an actual problem!

they have made some big mistakes recently too,
    like removing the ability to deploy a sunderer at your own damned base, (november, WE WILL NOT FORGET!)
    or turning construction away from being about strongholds and roadblocks and into OS spam..
    destructible walls was a terrible change, OS on lattice bases was a terrible change.
    cortium drain was a terrible change.

but i do feel like the game has had more positive changes recently than negatives.
  6. adamts01

performance issues overshadow anything positive that they've done, for me personally anyway. I love the new guns (Cloaked Flash aside), but what's the point of new content if the game is just too frustrating to play due to latency?
    • Up x 2
  7. Luicanus

I agree with Adam, while I like the ES goodies and I even consider the construction changes as positive and the sunderer deployment neutral (only mildly annoying), it's the state of performance that is the lynchpin.

They could have literally the most popular, beloved, utopian game mechanics but if it runs like crap, no one will want to play.
    • Up x 2
  8. Liewec123

this is odd, but i agree with you XD

the EU servers don't seem to have been hit with the performance issues that the US servers have, (atleast not Cobalt)
    so i haven't experienced these issues myself, but i hear Connery mentioned a whole lot,
    is it Emerald too or just a Connery issue?
  9. Luicanus

Lol, we've agreed on several threads, it's largely/only our positions on OS that differ so greatly.

Oh no, Cobalt is awful for me. In the last 5 days, I've had about 3 hours of decent play, every other time I've logged in I've been plagued by server spikes of up to 30,000ms
  10. Towie

Hmm - I too play on Cobalt and it's been fine for me BUT a friend joined from Germany last night and his was terrible. Routing issue ?

I'm UK based - on Virgin 200Mbps fibre.
    • Up x 1
  11. Luicanus

I'm UK too, Plusnet 72.5Mbps minimum guaranteed access line speed, that should be more than enough, at least it always has been before.

Alas, I don't know enough about the tech to diagnose the issue properly, I just know it was working fine until some people started getting awful server spikes.