Can we stop with this trend?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by WyrdHarper, Dec 16, 2013.

1. WyrdHarper

I logged on to test out some things, to discover that some of the nice black areas on the mossie are now bright red. Black is also a faction color, you know. We already had a big red stripe and details, but now the engine cutout and surrounding area are also bright red and my aircraft looks like a fire engine, and looks awful with any green camo (which I'd been using because it used to look quite alright.)

It's probably going to keep happening, but vehicles look good, and adding large sections of the same color to adjacent areas looks bad, like coloring a bunch of adjacent states the same hue on a map. We have secondary colors, why not use those? Red/black when hacked goes to blue/gold or purple/cyan when hacked and looks better in every situation. We have two faction colors for a reason, and filling every area with the same color (especially fire-engine red) simply looks cheap. It actually makes the game look like it's still in alpha and the art team simply hasn't finished the colormaps.

There are better ways to do it; I'd honestly rather see more of the secondary colors on vehicles instead.
    • Up x 25
  2. gigastar

Hmm, i wonder why that would be... :rolleyes:
  3. WyrdHarper

Look to your own signature; you've got nice Cyan details on your vehicles in that old picture. Yes, black details might seem like an advantage, but small black lines or sections on a big honking red vehicle aren't going to hide it at night any better than anything else. Given SOE's trend, they'd probably make everything on TR white anyway.

One big solid glob of color just doesn't look as nice.
    • Up x 7
  4. DeadliestMoon

More secondary color than primary? So TR = black, VS = cyan, NC = yellow; lol, no thanks.
    • Up x 2
  5. WyrdHarper

No, just not everything primary. If you go on PTS, you'll see that basically all of the secondary color has been removed. In the case of the mosquito, this means ~half of the vehicle is bright red. In the live version, there is a red stripe with red details on the wings, but the thrusters and engine-thing in the carved out section are dark grey. On the PTS, basically the entire thruster, the engine-thing, the cutout, more of the wings and tail, are all bright red. I don't want any change to camo coverage on the other vehicles, but rather I'd rather not see them remove all secondary color for poor design changes. Our primary is also our brighter color--imagine if scythes were all cyan or reavers all yellow. It's like that. They've also changed the red to be much brighter than it is on live.
    • Up x 2
  6. WyrdHarper

Alright, finally got some pictures for comparison: You can see that basically anywhere we had our secondary color, it was replaced with a bright shiny red, despite that (on the mosquito at least) there was already a good amount of faction color, as well as the fact that the prowler and mosquito have two very easily distinguishable profiles already.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 7
  7. John_Aitc

@Wyrd - Wasn't this explained to us during a Command Center in a T-Ray Rant segment that every faction was going to experience the same change as the VS Magrider and Scythe? It is in preparation for us being allowed to add a second camo to areas of our vehicles or, if we want, the same camo.

I think it is just the first stage of a change that will ultimately be an awesome new cosmetic feature.
  8. Chipay

There's a logic behind all of this
    [IMG]
    Vehicle Hacking, it'll have to be damn obvious when a vehicle is hacked, so ES stuff will need an extra coat of empire paint for it to work
    • Up x 11
  9. WyrdHarper

These changes are more likely for vehicle hacking. I think the larger grey areas on scythes (which were non-specific) were for the camo changes, yes. However, even if this is for that, they should wait until that system is ready, first.

@Chipay
    They still haven't confirmed vehicle hacking, and Higby recently suggested that they were very ambivalent about introducing it at all. In any case, the Mosquito pre-change already had a large amount of red on it, and they could have changed it so that when hacked the black became cyan/yellow and the red became purple/blue. I honestly don't mind the thrusters that much, but the engine color looks really cartoony.
  10. CHDT65

God, this is seriously ugly !
    Is there a valid reason to make the aircrafts and the tanks in this game look like cheap kids toys offered in crispies boxes ?
    When I remember how good were the concept art for these things :-(
    • Up x 2
  11. WyrdHarper

On the one hand, isn't the idea of a hacked vehicle to be sneaky? On the other hand, doritos are already much better for IFF that anything else at a distance, and the changes they've made so far have just caused more bugs (galaxies changing faction color on the fly--I saw one cycle back and forth between NC and VS yesterday. It was a TR galaxy).

On the other hand, if they want to make it really obvious, they could also just slap a big ol' faction decal on the side of the vehicle (since purchasable decals are only one one side, they could place the faction one on the other side, and the mosquito already has TR logos on the wings which could be converted to the hacking faction) , and the mosquito already has a pretty hefty dose of red, and like I said earlier, they could have the black (for TR) change to yellow or cyan depending on the hacking faction if they want it to be obvious.
    • Up x 1
  12. CrashB111

[IMG]

Oh god, my Prowler looks like a damn Red Velvet cake now.
    • Up x 11
  13. CHDT65

• Up x 8
  14. Chipay

The price we pay for equal camo coverage :p
    • Up x 1
  15. CHDT65

And remember the amazing trailer...

... it was frightening, it was serious, it was epic, IT WAS GREAT, not "fun".

Dust, smoke, fire, A WAR with massive fights, not scifi drag queens running in yellow pyjamas with hockey masks capping empty bases.

Yes, I hate "fun".

P.S. please "art team", have a thought about this !
    • Up x 12
  16. WyrdHarper

It's kind of funny, because normally the alpha of a game is when its graphics and appearance are at their worse, yet there seems to be a general consensus that the alpha design for armor and vehicles was massively better.
    • Up x 6
  17. CHDT65

Art team simply took the decision of making the game "fun" instead of epic.
    For "fun", Team Fortress was already there.

I don't understand, for instance they don't realize that lots of people would be ready to spend money on a character like the black uniformed guy in the capsule ?
    • Up x 2
  18. Kallowe

Being able to recognize friend from foe is not a skill they want to test too much in this game(not a bad thing imo.)

I don't get why they don't just remove the cert cost for daltons, vulcans, pump action shotguns, and vehicle stealth don't they realize lots of people would pay for those?
  19. Phos!

We're talking about the same tank and plane, right? They're pretty hard to screw up.
  20. Cyferion

OH MY ******* GOD! Please fix the red thing! WHY IS IT SO HUGE?!?!??!! Please minimize or distribute more evenly across the damn tank!!
    • Up x 2