[Suggestion] Can we make Drifter Jets usefull please?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Achmed20, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Achmed20

ok i played arround with these things a bit, even upgraded it to the second level to see how much further it takes you, found out a few things i didnt knew (like you dont descent if you dont move) and came to the conclusion: how usless they are.

- the range is close to useless comapred to beta
    - you cant shoot anything while hovering
    - you cant reach higher points
    - you are awefully slow

so please. can we make them usefull?
    double the speed?
    remove descending while hovering?
    a slight ascending?
    remove the "cant shoot anything stuff"?

LA is all about mobility this thing ... has NONE.
    • Up x 1
  2. mental1896

that's a shame. when the regular jumpjets were bugged in beta, i settled for the drifters but eventually learned to really like them. are you saying that they've made them less effective? tho in beta, i had a ton of certs so i maxed it out immediately. i remember the max range was awesome. i really liked using the drifters for lightning quick flanking. unfortunately i've been saving my certs for other things.
  3. Achmed20

level 1 to 2 gave me like 5 meters extra.
    fuel control (abbing space) doesnt work since it will instantly eat up 2 or more energy bars once space is pressed.

so range? nope ... gets you further as the normal jets, but thats like 50m maybe
  4. Latitudes

Ideally I'd love to see drifter and jump jets combined. They really compliment each other nicely, jet up to a high ledge, then drift. It's a shame you can't do both. Might be overpowered, but in the end it's just mobility and not helping us kill faster or anything.
    • Up x 3
  5. TheBloodEagle

I wish the Drifter had more speed, also the initial boost seems to be choppy. It's not a smooth transition from running. Not sure if on purpose. But I had extra certs so I got the first Drifter cert and the Speed Running cert (w/e it's called) and I was happy. As you can see I am a Tribes player (Tribes 2), so that was like a pseudo-Tribes combo for me. :cool:
  6. Achmed20

ok, maybe they arent that useless after all.
    today, all i used were the drifters and paired with the shotgun and this pairing thing is totaly devasting. you can strafe and be extremly mobile with them, flying in circles arround you enemy, hover above tanks and drop c4 on them, Charge enemys, kinda dodge, get quickly through enemy lines and palce C4 on sundys and whatever else. i had quite a blast with them and totaly felt useless after i used the default jets aggain. next thing im gonna do after i got my second c4, is maxing the drifters.

but still i feel, they kinda need tuning. considering that you abrley can get up anymore, these things could at least be faster.
    • Up x 5
  7. Jaremko

That's too bad. Drifters (aside from Icarus...) were all I used in beta and nothing felt better than hopping off of a high ledge and floating 1/5th the map to your destination quiet and quick. Shooting or C4ing along the way. It became my only method of travel pretty much.

I can understand why they took the Icarus jets away.. they gave a huge advantage (still want them back in some form) but to nerf the drifters when their usage is so specialized doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  8. Neurotoxin

They changed Drifters since Beta? I'm glad I didn't invest points into it! Drifters were 100% perfect in Beta, and I used the speed to help me zip past stationary groups, get behind vehicles, or even fly 200+ meters away from the base without an aircraft (at the highest level).
  9. Achmed20

I cant say for sure about the speed now. i watched some beta footage and they looked faster there.
    they are still faster then normal or adrenaline pump running, but thats maybe like 15% faster then normal runspeed .

just saving my last 500 certs now so i can get the last stage.
    posted a small video of lvl 3-4 comparison a few days ago.
  10. Vronti

I appreciate you experimenting for all of us Achmed. I'm really curious about using the drifters for taking out tanks etc, but don't want to invest in something relatively unknown for the certs. Enjoyed the last video, looking forward to further comparison :)
  11. Ghostloadout

Here's my thoughts on the Drifter JJs, recently i have been useing the first level very heavily and find myself liking them.
    So, to see a useful tool go to waste would be a shame, here's my thoughts .

Most of the time you're using drifters to One get the flank on someone, or Two to get onto a base sneakily
    That said, i think that the drifters should not give you the jumping accuracy and instead give you the Standard moving accuracy, for both hipfire and aimed.

After that, give it an even faster recharge time and a speed boost of around 200% mentioned above. I feel this could make drifters a stellar choice for any LA that likes hopping about like a maniac from base to base.
  12. Achmed20

tbh, speed is my only issue here. they are faster, but just like 15% runspeed. thats barely enough to catch some1.
    haven't been using any other JJ since 1 week now and i still didnt regret it.

lvl 4 recharges in 6 seconds allready and ~16 seconds airtime. thats pretty much and i see no real need to update that.
    need like 70 more certs to get lvl 5 but im so god damn tired right now but that has to wait till tomorrow :)
  13. Achmed20

got lvl 5 now and im happy to report that lvl 5 gives you 30 secs airtime. probably like it was in beta.

so now the only issue i have is speed.
  14. Blend46

Reduce airtime to 24.5 seconds & add some speed.
  15. Compass

They're honestly quite fine. I'd rather they not be used to actively chase after tanks that are reversing.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ghoest

Necro is bad

This thread was a dead a month ago.
    I think we all realize now that max drifters at the very least are an extremely fun cert investment.
  17. LanceHavenbay

Useful. Bamb.
  18. Wolfwood82

Fun and useful are two different things, so the initial argument still applies even if the OP has turned into one of the biggest preachers of the DJ's virtues this forum has known.
  19. Achmed20

DJ's wohooo :D

well tbh, the first 3 levels are pretty useless and especialy at launch of this game it was hard to justify putting certs in something which was so useless in the beginning and turned out to be so great afterwards.
  20. Kogmaw

Bring back Icarus Jets and revamp Drifters! Add some flavor to the LA