Can we get something for defending?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hodo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hodo

Right now its actually better if you let an attacking force take the place and just take it back after they leave. This doesnt promote good combat or even much fun, just a race from place to place.
  2. DaninTexas

Should of been on Helios server last night. We defended Citadel for over 2 hours. Loved it.

How? Well the location certainly helps. But what really allowed us to hold out for so long with lesser numbers was our Eng and Med support. IMO those two classes are the best for support.

My only complaint about defending at this point is not enough choke points for alot of the critical base areas. Who would build a critical shield gen and put it in an open room with two entrances? WTF
  3. MrBloodworth

You get bonus XP when defending. You also get the knowledge you are helping to keep what your faction had acquired.
  4. DaninTexas

Plus some of the most epic moments in this game is when you and your squad are fighting off a greater enemy force - struggling to hold that last base your side owns in the region.
    • Up x 1
  5. Wrath001

the bonus XP you get for kills when defending a base is worth more then the 1000 points you get for taking a tech plant/amp station
  6. Trof

You do get something is called xp bonus not to mention adjecentcy and the flow of resources... The problem is that this is not obvious to most players that are expecting the instant gratification cert/exp bring.
  7. MrBloodworth

Sadly, that nearly never happens, not like it did in PS1. PS2 is all about the roving bands of attackers. By design.
  8. Udon

There is a bonus for actions to defenders based on the size of the installation. However because you get rewarded in a single chunk for attacking but over time for defending combined with how fast a semi organized zerg can cap bases the cert per hour advantage clearly favors fast cap attacking. What I often times do is hook up with a group going from base to base and as soon as we get bogged down at a defended installation I will hop over to a actively attacked base and stay there for a bit defending.

The real answer I think is slowing down cap speeds. Bases change hands way to fast right now to the point it's hard to keep up. The tricky part is increasing the time to cap a near empty base without bogging down the time it takes to capture a defended one.
  9. Inspyrd

Some of my fastest cert gain comes from defending bases under heavy attack. Not sure what your issue is.
  10. Warruz

As i said in THE OTHER THREAD LIKE THIS is to simply add it to that little XP info bar that pops up

Enemy Kill +100 XP , Defend Bonus + 15 XP
  11. MasterOhh

Defenders get Bonus XP for everything they contibute to defend a base. You get bonus XP for kills, heals, revives, repairs, ammo.
    I've had battles for Ampstations, Techplants or Biolabs, that lastet more than one hour and gave me over 80 certs as a defender. The sum of all the bonus XP I got during that time was several times higher that the one time bonus the attackers would have gotten.
  12. DaninTexas

We playing the same game?
  13. akajefe

I think that this game needs to have a slight emphasis on attacking, which it I think it has right now. Having a few places that offer a great defender's advantage, like The Crown, is good. Sometimes I like to put my face to the meat grinder and charge uphill for hours. I think a variety of play experiences is a great way to go. If most bases had a similar defensive capability to The Crown, then the game would bog down. Maybe a few bases here and there would change hands, but there would essentially be a well defined front line. It would be like a World War 1 simulation. You would spend your days fighting over the same couple of bases. Hours upon hours milling outside the same choke point, hoping to get a few pot shots off before you run back for cover.
  14. Pashgan

I've seen bases change hands so fast that next attack starts when previous wave is just started to move out with 1/3 of tanks still in the base - and "owners" just rush away ignoring "generator compromised" messages.

This is so dynamic - it's stupid. There should be some type of passive xp bonus to make some people stay for at least 10-15 minutes.
  15. Jakko

Defending gives you a target rich enviorment!
  16. QuantumMechanic

I think the bonus XP for defending should be upped a little bit. Right now you'd have to kill a LOT of enemies to just equal the 1,000 XP you get for taking a base (not including XP you get for kills while taking the base).
  17. MrBloodworth

Yep. Perhaps you just didn't notice Defense is not encouraged, Attack is. The bases themselves are designed to be not defensible. Hence why most spawns are on the perimeter of the base.

Defenders are asked to do way more than attackers in every fight because of it.
  18. Hodo

This would be a nice little bit of information that would be useful.

But even then it doesnt really help with wanting to defend. When I can in the time I have been spawn camped gone and taken two smaller places for a total of 500XP each not including what ever odd kills I manage in that time.
  19. BadLlama

You get +15% bonus xp, +30 resource of whatever the base is as well as said resource for all the XP you get and you keep the facility bonus flowing to your empire or denying it to the other empire. Is that not enough rewards?
  20. Gavyne

A lot? More like 10, 10 isn't a lot when there are a hundreds of enemies lining up for you to shoot at.

Got this from Q&A today on kotaku.com:

Quick suggestion - why do you only get xp for taking over a location, but nothing for defending - the amount of time and effort put into a great defend is often harder than the taking of an empty site which still gets you about 350 - with no fighting even - Mark

Matt Higby: Defenders do get bonus experience for every kill, repair, heal, revive, etc that is done in the course of defending the base. They just don't get a large bonus at the end. We need to make it more obvious that this bonus is occurring, though.