Can someone please tell me how this is NOT cheating?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nregroepis, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Nregroepis

I'm an NC player. I was doing some very close-range combat, so I took out my LA39 Bruiser shotgun and strolled into the enemy base with the rest of the other NC players. We separated and searched whatever nearby building we could find that didn't have other comrades in it...then a comrade in front of me is replaced by a TR light assault dropping down from the roof and killing him from behind, so I aim at the back of the enemy's head and *boom chik-chick boom chik-chik boom!*.

But despite me being so close and shooting his head fully with more than two rounds of shotgun shells, he instantly turns around so quickly that I can barely see the turning animation and he unloads his bullets onto me. I die. The death screen shows that his green health bar was full and his blue shield bar was at 50%. I checked my connection but everything seemed fine. I remember very clearly that not one single pellet missed his head and hit the wall with spark effects.

Because of the massive majority of people here on the forum having disbelief in cheaters, I decided to turn the table and think alike with the gang until this incident in the game. Someone please explain, thanks.
  2. DooDooBreff

well if one persons word without proof was enough to brand, and ban cheaters, our population would surely be thinned out by now.

not saying youre a liar. but theres not much to go on here.
    • Up x 1
  3. ElGordo95

Maybe that person ( or yourself ) had a bad ping plus ClientSide 2. Could still be hacker but well idk.

A good old video of Wrel about TTK and hitregistration in Planetside 2 (probably it helps):

4. RainbowDash9

welcome to hit reg side 2
  5. The Shady Engineer

Shotguns have notoriously wonky hit detection, but 2 shots at close range and it barely scuffed his shields.. Yeah. Weird.

I'd say it might have been lag-wizardry but from my experience an encounter with a wizard is more of a kill trade rather than a straight up loss. You kill the wizard, start reloading/push forward/take cover etc and then a huge damage spike hits you and you're in the death screen looking at a guy with 0 health going huehuehue.

Maybe it was a lag spike on your end or maybe it was a server derp or maybe the guy WAS cheating. Kinda hard to know.
  6. FateJH

We don't have a disbelief in cheaters. If that is your projected mindset reflecting others, you are mistaken.

Firstly, this game has a variety of circumstances that distort the fine between what you see and what is actually going on.
    Secondly, various movement strategies evolve that permit a variety of behaviors that, for one unacquainted with them, can appear to be exploitative. (This is not referring to "exploitative" in the way that one keeps an HE shell trained on a door and fires off once a while.)
    Thirdly, not every account that is recorded on these forums, alleged a cheater, is a cheater, so jumping to that conclusion is presumptuous.
    When evidence is provided, visually, for example, many an instance of proper explanation can be established, just as much as "yes, that was a cheater" behavior.

To that end: cheaters do exist but not half as many as there are complaints about potential cheaters. Most of the time, the complaint has a much more simple explanation that is being overlooked either due to inexperience, rash judgement, or inattention. The silliest explanation that comes up, that I can think of, is when the person on the (often unreliably) killscreen is not the enemy you were looking at before dying.

In any case, nothing can really be discerned from just your written account. It is possible to turn without a proper animation if the game's lag compensation code has to make compromises to keep what is going on up to date. There are also fine angular changes regarding turning animations that might make an obvious turn on your screen not very dramatic of a turn to someone looking at your character model on their screen. In any case, with no video, there is just speculation.
    • Up x 1
  7. Nregroepis

That was 3 shells I shot. What I mean by really close range, I'm talking like a gun barrel just an inch away from touching the head.
  8. MrFlubberz

I've had this problem in other games where if I'm too close to somebody my gun is actually sticking through the person I'm shooting at and the bullets don't hit

See as you was an inch away if might have looked like your gun wasn't poking through him but on his it was.
  9. Nregroepis

Although if that were to happen, i'd see sparks coming from the wall and there wouldn't be any big expanding red hit marker animation in that case. I'm not sure if infantry guns are like this, but glitching tank barrels through thin walls seems to be patched, well, for the tank shell at least--not the barrel. I know that his head wasn't that close enough to use up almost my entire monitor, as well. Again, I want to let everyone know that i'm not 100% accusing this player of cheating, I'm on the 50-50 that he's either cheating or not. Friendly regards.
  10. MrFlubberz

Maybe it was just some freak server lag then lol