Can someone explain to me why everyone loves the Gauss Saw?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by FPSnoob, Apr 12, 2013.

1. FPSnoob

I'm assuming everyone loves the default Gauss right?
    It was probably the hardest gun I've used in the game
    If you hold the trigger for like 0.5 seconds, its like half way to the sky, so burst seems to be the only way
    Ridiculously slow rate of fire, really long reload (seems to be the longest in the game)

Does everyone just love it because of the damage? That seems to be the only thing besides bullet speed that this gun has even over average compared to other NC guns

I don't know about the TR starter but once I tried the Orion again, I knew I could not go back to NC
  2. MattGL

Half way to the sky? No offense, but you don't know how to play very well, then.

First of all, upwards recoil is completely manageable. You know what's not? Random side to side recoil. The gauss saw already has incredibly low side to side recoil, but it ALSO gets ADVANCED fore grip. Another thing many don't know about, is that fore grips, while not mentioned in the tool tip, have a huge impact on vertical recoil as well. Many times more than the barrel attachment compensator, in fact.

So you take the saw, throw on afg and a comp, your choice of sight, and it becomes a monster. The vertical recoil becomes extremely manageable, with almost nonexistent horizontal recoil. Add the high damage and low rof(the damage compensates well for the low rof, and the low rof itself lends even MORE to its accuracy), and I can pick people off at 50-100m in single bursts.

It really is an incredible weapon, you just have to be able to slowly drag your mouse down while firing... skills bro

The long reload is a downside I guess, though with 100 round magazines and the lowest amount of shots to kill someone out of all lmgs, its never an issue. Hip fire isn't great either, but there are much better options for cqc, like shotguns or pulling a scat max.
    • Up x 3
  3. RHINO_Mk.II

Because the NC6 is basically a Battle Rifle, but:
    NC6 has perfect 1st shot ADS accuracy.
    NC6 has higher base velocity and the option to increase it with HVA.
    NC6 has the option to reduce damage falloff at range with HVA.
    NC6 has a 500% larger clip size.
    NC6 has the option to burst fire or full auto if circumstances favor it.
    NC6 has 333% more ammo carrying capacity.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Warden does 20% more damage per shot.
    • Up x 1
  4. ClickMe

The key to doing well with saw is using standard iron sights (besides AFG and Compensator), and never moving while firing. 3.4x makes the recoil too heavy and makes it bad for cqc. 2x reflex obscures your target. 1x reflex... why on earth. NC reflex sights are horrible anyway due to larger red dots compared to TR & VS. Personally these days I always use iron sights.
    • Up x 2
  5. FnkyTwn

Cause when you hit somebody in the head with it, that head goes kabloom!
    • Up x 4
  6. LibertyRevolution

Saw is garbage, I cant kill anyone with it, I also don't understand why people like it..
    Whats the point in a 100 round mag if you cant spray even 10 bullets without it going vertical.
    I wasted the certs on the advanced forward grip and everything, it still sucks.

EM6 is a better gun.
    • Up x 1
  7. Mekhazzio

The Gauss SAW has the fewest artificial restrictions of any weapon in the game. It has abnormally low randomness to its recoil due to having such a small horizontal plus adv. grip on top of that, and it has so much damage per magazine that no scenario will ever need a combat reload, and it has no base inaccuracy at all.

It's basically the only automatic weapon that's exactly as good as its user. If you're having poor results with it...well....
    • Up x 8
  8. ikillyou1990

I love it. To the people who say its terrible, try putting an advanced forward grip and a compensator on it. I do great with my SAW and would never even consider getting another lmg
    • Up x 2
  9. LibertyRevolution

Oh, so your saying you need to aim and control the saw?
    That just solidifies my feelings that it is garbage...
    Standing still and aiming, that gets you dead in this game.
    Why aim when I can just spray in your direction while I ADADDADADA with an EM6?
    • Up x 1
  10. FnkyTwn

ADADing is for punks. Dancing around like you think you're Janet Jackson.
    • Up x 4
  11. Flashtirade

The SAW is a very hard weapon to learn, but it is arguably one of the best guns in terms of rewarding the user for proficiency. It takes about 300 certs and lots of combat experience, but the SAW can become an absolute beast at all ranges (though it will never be able to do CQC as well as any other LMG).
    • Up x 1
  12. LameFox

Presumably this works by making them pause and think 'what the **** is that guy doing?'
    • Up x 1
  13. LibertyRevolution

No it works becuase if you stand still the server knows the position of your hitbox..
    If you ADADA there is latency involved, your hitbox is moving, sever is unsure of your location, and you win 90% the 1v1 fights.

This is more like Quake than Arma, as long as you keep moving, you tend to stay alive.
    Run and gun, spray and spray, adadada, keep the server guessing your location if you want to win headup fights.

Why did you think half the players are running around with SMG and shotguns going ADADA?? because it looks cool?
  14. Catesfriend

The Gauss SAW is not as good as the EM6. It's slow firing speed makes it less lethal. It's got great range, but doesn't have the stopping power to kill with 1-2 single shots so targets can just walk away from the ranged fire. Also, accessorizing it for long range significantly impedes your ability to kill at close range.

Try the EM6 instead. Better TTK and COF.
    • Up x 1
  15. Novmiech

It gets alot better after you invest 400+ certs into it; (Comp, Advanced Grip, HV ammo, and sights of choice) bone stock its pretty awful.
    That said its still a niche weapon and while I think its "good" its far from great.

The reason I like it isn't because its good and will help me get a better KD, I like it because its loud and slow and beasty or in other words- fun. Its unique where all other LMG are pretty fast firing. If they came out with an even slower even harder hitting LMG I would probably use that too now and then - even if it wasn't very good, because its fun.
    • Up x 1
  16. LameFox

Even if the server tells someone you're where you were a few seconds/keystrokes ago, them shooting you where their client thinks you are will kill you.
    • Up x 3
  17. KyadCK

That would mean anything if, you know, the game had server-side hit detection.

It has Client-side hit detection.

GG though.
    • Up x 3
  18. FPSnoob

Ah thanks a lot for your input guys!
    Oh and fyi, I do suck haha. This is basically my first fps so recoil control is still hard for me
    All the thing you guys said makes sense, I didn't realize that it had such low horizontal recoil, it look the same as the other weapons to me on stats
    How much would the upgrades change the vertical recoil? If its .4 and less I could totally use it

In some instances that I've used it I can see why people love it
    If I can line up sights to someones torso.. That recoil travel would own them as it travels to the face :p
  19. RHINO_Mk.II

I'm laughing my *** off about the only person in the thread who hates the SAW not even knowing how hit detection works in this game.
    • Up x 2
  20. mindbomb

wait, i dislike the saw. I also dislike the 2 mini-saws, the acx11 and reaper dmr.

I don't understand how they are better than the em6, mercenary, and gauss rifle under real life conditions.