Can i be a competitive infiltrator without a mic?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Sil4ntChaozz, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Sil4ntChaozz

I have various issues with speaking but if my gameplay is good enough can i be competitive? I'm on console though but I've seen competitive outfits.
  2. Eternaloptimist

I don't see why not. Your actions make you competitive rather than words.
    • Up x 1
  3. LaughingDead

Considering that an informative infiltrator is the best kind in group play, I'd say not in group play.
  4. Moz

You can play. Just not Infil.

In any sort of serious play your Infil is your eyes and ears for your squad. You need to be able to communicate your findings.
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

Agreed, but there is regionsay and squad chat. And direct messaging if ally is in line of sight. All pretty viable I think (I don't have a mic myself but I do use these comms)
  6. CuteBeaver

Callouts are huge.

You have to be able to communicate within a second to your team. The moment you start typing your not able to respond effectively. You place yourself at risk getting jumped and killed. You have to be able to communicate not only about threats but also opportunities you create for them.

EMPing a group of enemies so your squad can push forward and clear the max units while your killing support from behind. Or, If your hiding (with stalker cloak) and see an opportunity to sweep the lower harder to defend sections of a room (keeping numbers down) This opening for interdiction may only last a few seconds before more enemies enter the building increasing your risks. Calling for a rotating sweep and having the squad shift down - murder everything and go back up to their position requires a microphone. Alternatively you may be outside as a stalker squishing beacons and maybe you see a large max crash coming in the distance. Communicate that so your team can prep and have time to place C4 above the doorways. Again microphone allows you to call it, specifically describe and give its likely entrance in seconds.

You honestly can't do any of that with typing and even if you could they won't notice in time. People don't tend to read chat in the middle of a gunfight. They will read chat when traveling from base to base so typing is useful if some idiot keeps yammering on in transit when your trying to convey to the squad what your intentions are when dropping on the new objective. Other then that one tiny situation (where the guy should be told to shut up anyway) there is no gain for typing anything over voice comms.
  7. Sil4ntChaozz

Ahhhh, thanks. :( I can be competitive ish but not really.
    • Up x 1
  8. CuteBeaver

Is there an issue with the Microphone? Because honestly your worth the money to fix it or buy a new one. Mics are one of those things you "need" imo. Sound issues are annoying but they can be fixed. Have your tried using your mic with other programs like skype or other games? We all encounter issues sometimes teamspeak patch reverts the settings. Or other times it could be the wrong input device selected because user selections default when the voice program is patched. Even windows operating system can cause funny little quirks.
  9. Sil4ntChaozz

It's speaking in general, i can't get words from the thought to saying it lots of times. Sil4nt has high functioning ish autism, which is why i picked my name Sil4nt Chaozz. And was called Sil4nt in my other game, can't talk well in the most comfortable of environments. So I've never owned a mic.

If it was an audio or mic issue i would have worded it different, though problems speaking IS an audio issue amiright?:p So typing is easier.
  10. Imperialguardsman

Judge Imperial on the case. There is no such thing as "competitive" when it comes to video gaming. Video games are meant to be fun frolicking simulators of destruction on a casual playing level. Also,everyone that tries to be competitive in video games tend not to be nice,attractive, intelligent people. Do whateva' you wanna do... if you don't wanna talk to people than so be it because these competitive outfits aren't really competitive at all and you're supposed to play a video game the way you wanna play it. :cool: Make sure you spend money on DBC though... its been shown nice, attractive, intelligent people buy DBC.
    • Up x 1
  11. BoatsFriends

Might I suggest the corsair k95 keyboard. It has 18 macro keys on the side. You can also turn any key into a macro. It could help with relaying the information you want at a faster speed once you get used to it.

But really... You don't need to speak, you just need to be able to hear the leaderships orders/callouts. I hate being in teamspeak because everyone calls out stuff that I don't need to know. It gets me killed because I rely on sound for information. The other important source of information is the minimap. Use a motion spotter. Enemy Directional information is infinitely more helpful than anything you could say or type. So really, not talking is more helpful.
  12. Sil4ntChaozz

Thanks guys. I meant to ask this in my New Infiltrator here thread so not to take up space, so can you direct comments there? I don't need two threads for basically the same types of questions.
  13. CuteBeaver

I'm really sorry. I had no idea the reason was medical. BoatsFriends is right, when you can grab a good keyboard with macros invest in that should make gaming for you much less tiresome. Also don't worry there are text to voice options in Teamspeak and other voice chat programs. You can type the words and macro them to a hotkey ahead of time. A voice pack will say the words for you which works just as well.

Macro quick voice commands like:

: E M P out. (just for when you want to give team members an advantage)
    : Max Crash incoming
    : Beacon Destroyed
    : Beacon Deployed.
    : Traded
    : Enemy Breach
    : On point

Id suggest careful chosen words so you can use the same key differently. You could chain Enemy Breach + On Point to draw attention to enemy presence on a capture point in roughly the same time as speaking " Hey guys they have C point" . Same thing as "Traded + On Point" Now your team knows your dead but so is the person who killed you.

Whatever tasks you feel you need to communicate just macro them. Generally speaking the shorter and more concise the callouts the better. Which in your case works out perfectly using text to speech macros. You don't necessarily need to speak if you can get the voice program to do it for you. Its all about timing and conveying information which is important. (And unfortunately people don't always read sadly.) Lol you could always just have one that says : "Read Chat" for complicated information.:)
    • Up x 1
  14. JobiWan

If you have a tablet or a smartphone you could try what I do. I can't really talk when I play because of people sleeping nearby so I downloaded a custom soundboard for my iPad and have pre-recorded a lot of common stuff like yes/no, I've got a sunderer, etc etc etc. You can take your time and think about what you're saying without pressure and make new ones as you see fit.

I connected a 3.5mm jack to my input and tweaked the settings in game and TS to use a line in not a microphone and it works pretty well. All I need to do is press on the screen and it says what I want.