can anyone explain the current lib hate to me?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hartkernharald, May 5, 2014.

1. Hartkernharald

i mean, i had my lib phase almost a year ago, back then they were quite a niche vehicle. whenever there was a post about air balance, air gameplay, air something, air was always equivalent to esf. no one ever mentioned the fact that there are 2 other air vehicles in the game, because they just didn't matter.
    the galaxy got some minor love and a week later, no one was talking about it again. now the lib got a bit of tank shell resistance and everyone goes crazy, what's going on here? i mean i do see some more libs around than before, but i'm sure someone can go on some statistics page and tell me the ratio of esfs pulled vs libs pulled in comparison to lightnings pulled vs mbts pulled. libs are still one of the least frequent causes of death for me, and i play mostly infantry these days.
    • Up x 5
  2. Vixxing

Tank resistance mostly matters to NC and TR ppl, since they got the only 2 tanks that was (and could) be used as anti-Lib weapons... For VS the anti tank resistance changed pretty much nothing....
    • Up x 3
  3. elementotrl

Basically, libs are currently in a spot where, without a coordinated squad effort, they can not be taken out. As such, it is very frustrating for many players when they are repeatedly killed by something without the ability to effectively take out, deter, or avoid the liberator. Every vehichle except the liberator and galaxy can be easily detered or taken out with either c4 or a lock on rocket.
    • Up x 6
  4. Hosp

Because Libs have Tank-Busters that can kill tanks at over 200m w/o much threat to the lib. Tanks don't have Lib-Busters that can do the same, open air to fly away, and, often, little cover to be able to take.
    (Tank Busters refers to anti-tank weapons not specifically the nosegun)
    • Up x 6
  5. Cinnamon

It depends on what your experience in the game is. In certain situations the liberator will just dominate and ruin fights. In other situations it just forces more AA and ESF to deal with them. While you might not see the liberators dominating in this situation ground based AA is just not an efficient use of people and also it's a very boring job. As far as armour goes they encourage huge armour zergs and traffic jams as people are less likely to want to be isolated from the herd and killed by air.
  6. Hartkernharald

but nothing has changed in that regard since the patch, has there? i see a lot of posts about libs camping spawnrooms, where they are performing exactly like they always have. if the enemy can provide enough suppression so that the lib can just park his *** over the base, then you need a concerted effort to do something, just like always.
  7. GaBeRock

Anti-tank is pretty much the liberator's whole schtick. Liberators have some imbalances, yes, but their ability to kill tanks isn't one of them.
  8. Hosp

But their ability to kill everything is...mean while the tank meant to "Deter" it doesn't.
    • Up x 1
  9. GaBeRock

You'd be surprised. Skyguard needs a little bit of buffing, but 2+skyguards in a hex is a no fly zone for me, except for fast passthroughs somewhere else.
    • Up x 1
  10. DrPapaPenguin

It goes something like this:

"Waaaaahhhhh waaaaaaaahhhhh, some guy who invested a lot of certs into a team vehicle and brought along a buddy killed my sorry *** and I can't be bothered investing certs or learning how to counter him so I will go and whine to everyone until they like it and waaaaaahhhh and waaaaaaahhhhh!"
    • Up x 8
  11. JibbaJabba

Rock always hates paper.
    Paper always hates scissors.
    Scissors always hates rock.

That's why.

Too many squads of paper run around without a rock. But hey, just nerf scissors. The trio of balance will be just fine right?
    • Up x 5
  12. DashRendar

"Whoa! Those Libs look like they're having fun! I wanna have fun too!"

*pulls lib, gets gunner, flies to battle, instantly shot down by enemy air/AA because doesn't know how to fly it*

"Well that was just a fluke, we'll do better next time."

*pulls lib again, situation repeats*

"WTF, this doesn't make sense, Libs are OP as hell, I read so on the forums"

*gives up trying to fly Lib, deploys to battle on foot and gets farmed by a good Lib pilot. Rage exits game and logs into forum*

"Guys, Libs are really really OP, I can't tell you why but I just know. Remove it from the game altogether. It's the only way to be sure"
    • Up x 13
  13. Mongychops

I'll break it down:

1. On some servers (mostly during off peak) air dominance is easily affected by just having a few dominanant pilots online on a continent, who will reduce the life expectancy of the other factions air to 5 minutes or less.
    2. This faction with dominant pilots then has large quantities of Liberators able to fly around making calculated bombing runs under AA (to escape with half HP) without getting chased down by an ESF after, even if one of the bombed players does spawn an ESF, they get ganked outside the WG, or shortly after chasing down one Lib (then the crew spawn another Lib, since they have 3 on rotation).
    3. These Libs can fly from fight to fight on the continent farming kills, if the fights are only on Indar (off peak), you are **** out of luck.
    4. Since the tail gun angle change, many of the LIbs now run with a Bulldog for even more damage output.
    5. Composite Armour change reduces the opportunities to kill a Lib with "spike damage" from tank shells etc (though as a VS player, I would resent LIbs being balanced around shooting them with tanks).
    • Up x 1
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

i can only agree with the op

being a tanker AND liberator pilot myself, i am very suprised to see all the overpoweredness talk on the forums recently. i mean did these people even try to pilot a lib themselves? did they gun one too? did they go "holy shh killing is so easy with the zepher/dalton" or do they have a biased view as a victim only?

whatever it is, the lib will most likely be nerfed soon because the devs take their primary feedback from forumside nerf threads. that said, enjoy the balanced game while you still can. soon, libs gonna be second-class skywhales again that hunt ESFs for a living because the ground folks kept whining too hard
  15. BoomBoom4You

They're just too resilient. They can be anti-tank, anti-infantry and anti-air with the same loadout and with incredible survivability. On top of that, they are way too fast for their role. I don't know if an outright nerf is the answer, maybe just making them more susceptible to certain counter-measures (flak, tank shells -- whatever). I don't really have a problem with their damage output as much as I do with their damage absorption.

Right now when the spawn room is camped by liberators, even pulling ESFs to take them out isn't a sure thing. Usually you're forced to pull multiple AA maxes, supported by engineers, to at least make it run away to repair while you try to get to the point.
    • Up x 8
  16. DaninTexas

Got farmed all weekend by them. IMO this is what needs to happen:

1. More people need to pull G2A missiles
    2. Give Engineers a G2A turret
    3. People need to QQ less
    • Up x 3
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

because 99% of aircraft targeting on ground units farming. infantry having fun with each other. tanks too. once coming liberator, no one can get out of spawn room, party crasher :mad: other side, liberator the only way to wipe enemy armor.
    so, liberator like most powerful tool in the game, but it has no specialization, then players using it for farming.
  18. Radiant Stranger

Its a problem with many sides, I guess its hard to nail it down exactly.

I guess one of the problems is the now too often occuring situation like the following:
    A really hard fight occurs, with the attackers advancing on the point, maybe even getting tanks quite close, even if the positioning is hard, there is much ducking in to cover, trying to get the point back, ...
    Really good fight, it doesn't matter that the enemy seems superior, even if you have higher numbers.

Suddenly one Liberators shows up, and starts bombarding the spawn room. There the fight stops, because the spawn room is more or less suppressed now. Till you have spawned Anti Air, it takes a little bit, which is exactly the time the enemy needs to bunker themselves in and start the spawnroom camp. Now leaving the Spawnroom with Anti Air is suicidical, and everything else doesn't get out because of the liberator.
    Because there is no taking cover against a liberator, it just sits up there, flies around a bit, and has more cover through the spawn room than the people inside (Try stepping outside, oh liberator is covered, its on the other side, till you are over there it is now on this side more...)

[Maybe we should give Light assaults zip lines to atttach themselves to Liberators an pull up, so they can attach C4 to them ?]

That happens even in large fights, one liberator at the wrong time messes up great fights.
    Thats partly because Liberator is an "action" while Anti-Air is a "reaction"
    When nothing flies around, why use Anti Air? It has no other uses. When a Liberator shows up, its sometimes too late, or takes long to take out the Anti Air, at least the weight is quite shifted when it shows up.
    5 MBTs do not have the same large battle shifting power as 1-2 Liberators have.

ESF are just annoying. Liberators are destroying.
  19. LibertyRevolution

Infantry hate libs because you need to hit them with 3 dumbfires or 5 lock-ons.
    They can't solo them from the ground, so they hate them.

Tankers hate libs because they expect to be able to kill a lib solo with a single person skyguard lightning tank..
    They can't solo them from the ground, so they hate them.

ESF Pilots hate libs because libs can fight back.
    ESF pilots think nothing should be able to kill their ESF, even a 3 person plane that needs teamwork and cost more..

TL;DR:
    People hate libs because teamwork is OP, and that runs counter to their "I should be able to solo anything" balance mentality.
    • Up x 5
  20. Hartkernharald

i have to say this all sounds very much like the pre-walls tank whine. people are still trying to defend themselves out of the very base that's already completely camped. why?
    • Up x 1