Calling all Liberator Pilots!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Gundem

Correct usage of the PSA tag, right? Right?

Anyway, yes, Gundem here. This is a call to all serious Liberator pilots who still roam the forumside from time to time. I have a massive project that I'd like to attempt, but I'd like the input and assistance of other people with experience.

The primary goal of this project will be to educate the public on the nature of the Liberator, how it flies, what it's weapons limitations and strengths are and how to fight them. I feel that much of the negativity directed towards the Liberator stems from ignorance of how it works, and if more people knew how to fight it, more people would understand what position the Liberator is really in.

Please, this is NOT a thread for you to:

A) Discuss the balance of the Liberator.

B) Argue about your personal interpretations of how vehicles should operate.

C) Engage in discussion unrelated to the Liberator, or it's interactions with other vehicles.

D) Let your dreams be dreams

E) Post your experience with the Liberator.

IF you are interested in participating in this project, PM me and I'll discuss further the goals and intentions. I considered doing this alone, but currently my rig can't handle recording live gameplay, so I can't make videos very easily, and I'd like the input and opinions of other pilots and tankers as well. Yes, if you have experience on the receiving end of a Liberator,

I will not have rage posts or forumside white knights clogging up this thread. This is a notice for an application, not your personal venue for Liberator related stress relief. If you feel the need to complain, whine, rage, troll, or otherwise post any non-constrictive content, you will be reported. This is not a buff/nerf thread, this is not a thread to discuss ideas or options.

See you on the Planetside,

~Grim
  2. DarkStarII

I would like to know more about the Liberator. The only experience I've had with one is crashing and burning, maybe a few explosions added in there.
  3. Gundem

Sure! If you want to know more about how to actually fly or operate, you can either PM me on the forums, or depending on your server/availability you could do some live play.

Is your server Connery, and are you available from 4:00 PM Eastern Time? If you have a Connery VS character you could hang with me and Lorn, we tend to do Lib runs then.
  4. LodeTria

The best way to fight Liberators in the air as an ESF is long range plinking. It does take awhile but it's the safest way without putting you in too much danger. If you're a lib pilot you're best off coming from above against other libs as the rival one can't look above itself.

There are a few ways to fight libs from the ground.

One of them is overwhelming AA and it's probably the most common. It can keep liberators out of area although if you don't pay attention your friends will suffer for it as a lib can get in, kill something and get out before you kill them.
    Another one is Dual walker sundies, which are really effective vs air units provided your gunners aren't plebs. It does require protection from ground units though.
    A side one is bait sundies but this requires quite a lot of people. What this is being a squad in a sundie that is on the outskirts of battles where liberators usual prey on things. When the liberator shows up your squad jumps out and rockets the aircraft to death. It is really effective but requires a lot of people in co-ordination.
    • Up x 1
  5. DarkStarII

As of late I'm available pretty much any time. But, I play on Briggs, so I could make an alternate character.
  6. Obstruction

we call the last one the clown car. it also works in a Gal pretty well, so a successful roaming squad could even consist of 2 rep gals or 2 rep sundies and as few as 10 infantry/MAX.

in the sundy setup you do still need at least 2 or 3 guys repping. 1 sundy can deploy to abuse the resupply terminal (heavy and engi coodlowns/reloads.) also the drivers could be triage medics and stay at the wheel, maybe hopping out for rez grenades and terminal abuse.
  7. Inex

Your premise might be right. But I have my doubts as to whether educating people on the proper uses & counters to the Lib will reduce negativity. If you accomplish anything, it'll be similar to the Lib buff last year that saw 3-4 of them hovering above every base like vultures.

On the other hand, I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation to see what the counters to a Lib are. Much like the other posters in the thread I'm hard pressed to come up with a strategy that doesn't require many more people, far more Nanites spent, or both.
  8. Diilicious

*carefully reads the rules of the thread*

mm hm, what? not one upset tank driver post?
    If all liberator pilots really are looking in here id just like to say, on behalf of the tank players.
    ....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(

:p
    • Up x 10
  9. Gundem

Oh, I my self know at least 4 different strategies that are at least partially inexpensive. But that'll be for a later date :D
  10. WeRelic

No worries, we love you too. :D

OT:

As an ESF, especially a reaver... NEVER FLY UNDER A LIB. It's the surest way to get daltoned.

Always try to exploit the top side weakness whether you're in another lib, or in an ESF.

If you're flying lib v lib, do NOT sit still and keep your belly towards the enemy at all times unless you're tankbusting.

If you get tankbusted in an ESF, log out, your session is over.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gundem

I ******* kek'd
  12. Daemeon

In all fairness if you are giving ground support in a heavy fight you might not hear the engine roar before it's too late. I rarely die to a tankbuster but if I do it's because of that. Trying to stay topside on a Lib that knows what it is doing is nearly impossible solo but if you are in a pair use what I call "poke the bear" tactics. The person NOT being targeted by the belly attacks until they turn to fire on them and then pulls back while the second engages. It's both annoying AND fun to do at the same time.
  13. Gundem

That could work, we all got our libs certed here so that wouldn't be a problem. Do you have voice comms? That is a major factor.

Then again, if your best ping is from Briggs you might have some problems on Connery. I guess we could give it a try!
  14. Gundem

Hm.. the Bear...

I think we got a new name for the Liberator!

ESF is the angry Tasmanian Devil, the Liberator is a bear. No, make that a Russian bear. Slow, sleepy, usually drunk, and hurts like hell when it smacks you.

But anyway, yea, ESF's who get TB'd because they tried to hoverduel is the biggest mistake. More often I see ESF's who get tank busted by a stealth AB lib, but then again, how's that any different then getting 1-clipped by a racer Reaver with the Vortex?

I do have a few thoughts on that, but I'd like to save em for the finished project :D
  15. Inex

Case in point. This works well (as long as the Dalton doesn't get lucky), but I'm hoping Gundem eventually comes back with something that doesn't require triple the Nanite investment, or double-teaming a single crew Lib.
  16. Gundem

While I can't say quite exactly what there is in store yet, I can say I think you might be pleasantly surprised.
  17. breeje

To solo scare them away the best option for me is a long range harasser with gatekeeper
    If I am lucky even a kill but you have to be careful
    One wrong move and your death
  18. Gundem

19. Imp C Bravo

I really don't understand what you are asking OP. Educate people about what exactly? Libs are aircraft.

If you were to rank aircraft on

Hitbox,
    Armament,
    HP,
    Speed,
    Accel,
    Agility,
    Visibility,

the lib would be

2nd
    1st
    2nd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    2nd

More to the point -- how do you expect to educate the people who hate on libs? They already have their opinion formed and, as you have seen in the many discussions on the forums, a VERY small minority of a very small minority is actually openminded enough to change their opinion. Most of the people who read this and not have serious experience with the lib will dismiss anything we say regardless...
    • Up x 1
  20. Obstruction

i also have deep reservations about making videos that attempt to teach plebs all the cheese that beats dedicated lib crews. it doesn't really need to be more unplayable, and the devs are not going to be able to give it any buffs (even if it begins to underperform drastically due to player behavior) -- and especially with ANT units and destructible constructions coming into play soon.