C4 vs Tanks WTF?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zenox, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Zenox

Previously until a few days ago I had not played for some 6-8 months mainly because the game was full of broken mechanics and poor performance I was (BR50 when I left). I come back and pull a 450 resource tank with thousands of certs tied up in it and 5 minutes later I get blown up from full health by a light assault with C4. So I think to myself maybe I must have taken some damage from something else at the same time, however, later on the same thing happened again, therefore I figured I would check it out in the VR room. Then of course I found out that no matter where I place the C4 on the tank it does 3/4 of it's health from just 1 charge.

So the question I'm left thinking is, how is it fair that 2 C4 worth 200 resources can kill something which now costs 450 to pull and has a cooldown? I may well be missing something, but how is that imbalance supposed to be reconciled considering it costs just 700 certs for 4/5 infantry types to get. The worst part of it is I wouldn't even mind if the vehicles had a proper FOV and a decent 3rd person view so that I could be on the lookout for errant infantry around me.
    • Up x 11
  2. Roy Teppert

Stick with your infantry and don't go ramboing around by yourself and it won't happen nearly as often.
    • Up x 20
  3. smokemaker

You have tools to prevent this.
    1.) Grey matter ( some more then others )
    2.) In game tools one can equip to their tank ( radar for starters )
    3.) Be close to friendlies.. not even saying teamwork...just dont park next to a cliff without any friendlies nearby.

If you ask for death, it will come.
    • Up x 30
  4. Bill Hicks

infantry should be able to survive 6 hits from a tank.
    • Up x 5
  5. Blitzer

You really felt that your input on C4 vs Tanks required it's own thread, instead of posting into one the multiple existing threads?

Also have you ever considered that in order to C4 to be somewhat worth it, it has to be way cheaper than what it's being mostly used against because the baselines of what tanks can do and what infantry unit carrying his 2 bricks of c4 can do aren't even remotely in the same ballpark. I guess you did not.
    • Up x 8
  6. Phazaar

Costs are not based upon counters, they're based upon utility.

You pull a tank for 450 resources, you're much much more likely to get a higher score than if you place 4.5 blocks of C4, not to mention the 4.5 blocks of C4 does a finite amount of damage, whilst your tank is an indefinite force multiplier.

It's really rather simple.

Also, note that it takes 600 infantry resources of C4 to kill a 350 resource Galaxy. OFMGWTFZ!?!? Utility.

C4 bugs out and doesn't plant, plants in the wrong place, doesn't stick when it should, sticks when it shouldn't, disappears IMMEDIATELY on death, such that even if the area is hit with HE, or you get rezzed, the resources are still wasted, and most importantly, takes an amount of time relative to how full the area you're in to plant and detonate, normally requiring 5 seconds of proximity with a target before detonation (not including the added delay if you need to clear the blast radius). The longest TTK on infantry in game is less than 3 seconds at point blank range. The entire attack can be flawed simply by not sitting still in your tank.

I won't continue because this argument is hilariously overdone already in Forumside. C4 kills tanks. Learn to love it. If you die to it, you've just been outplayed by a cheese mechanic (meaning your ability < cheese). Sucks to be you.
    • Up x 12
  7. Fotosynthese

If someone managed to get 2 c4 on you rear, you deserve to be dead.
    • Up x 11
  8. Terrex

I like the bads that think they are good with C4.

"Just don't do this..."

A lot of the time you aren't even rendered.
    • Up x 5
  9. Zenox

A poor argument as both times in this instance I was with infantry doing what I should be doing supporting them by taking out enemy armour. Radar has a 50 meter max range and costs 1300certs, so on a like for like basis it's still worthless, although now Magburner has been nerfed to utterly useless I might consider it. Using teamwork as a mechanism for balance is a fallacious statement as this requires relying on other people to address an imbalance.
    • Up x 4
  10. Phrygen

what?

and yea, this thread should be merged.
  11. Compass

I'M GOOD WITH C4.

COME AT ME BRO. I C4 MAGRIDERS LIKE YOU ON THE WAY TO REAL AIRCRAFT.
    • Up x 4
  12. Zenox

Yeah because of course you're gifted with the ability of 360 degree vision and omnipotence and this never happens to you because your so pro. Let me know when you get out of your Scythe long enough to use a tank.
    • Up x 5
  13. HellasVagabond

Come back in a couple of months, they will have nerfed it by then.
  14. TheRealMetalstorm

you are NOT supposed to bring your tank anywhere close enough for infantry to be able to approach you.
    I use my prolwer (deployed prowler is the ultimate c4 bait) to support pushes but I don't get C4'd.
    I'm always aware of my surroundings and I NEVER EVER tunnel vision - I glance at my minimap and take note of how far past friendly lines I am, as well as how close I am to potential cover that enemies can dash from to my tank. I do this easily every 10-15 seconds. (4-6 times a minute)
    Getting c4'd simply means that you're somewhere you're not supposed to be (i.e. too close to enemy infantry) or are daydreaming (sitting on a ridge sniping away not noticing the little flash ATV stopping in the distance and a LA running up)
    • Up x 3
  15. Terrex

If someone C4's me because they caught me, grats to them. 9/10 times they aren't rendered, not showing up on map, invisible as hell. How is that rewarding? How does killing someone that can't fight back or has 0 chance fair in this matter? C4 is a total joke on this game.
    • Up x 3
  16. Zenox

Yes I did because resurrecting dead posts are as worthless as a wasted reply. Pulling any infantry is free and has no cooldown and only requires a max expenditure of 700 certs to be near enough 100% effective.
    • Up x 1
  17. Fotosynthese

Look at the stats...:
    Scyte: Time Used 117h 12m
    Magrider: Time Used 107h 44m

I use both... problem?
    Still if someone manage to get 2 c4 on your rear you deserve to die...
    • Up x 4
  18. Daibar

19. Holomang

So long as one person can pull and crew a tank it should only take one person to destroy it.

There is no counter to this argument, good day.
    • Up x 8
  20. Holomang

Until you show some definitive proof of people RIGHT NEXT TO YOU not rendering you don't have a leg to stand on.
    • Up x 8