C4 vs Blockade Sunderer

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Luciuskane, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Luciuskane

Good day to all my fellow Engineers, I come before you seeking wisdom.

TLDR: I tried to blow up a blockade Sunderer twice without success, what did I do wrong?

Today I have tried to blow up a specific Sunderer without any success. First try, I placed 3 at the rear and 1 at the side (i panic!), hit the red button, C4 goes boom but sunderer stays and it's smoking. Thinking I might have screwed things up with last C4, I decided to go for it again.

Second try, I place all 4 neatly at the back, taking the time to place them a bit further apart so they are not stacked on one another. I further setup an AV turret thinking to use it to ignite the C4. Turret round hits but I hear the noise like you hit a friendly. I waited for around 2 secs, then activate the C4, again the sunderer stays and it's just smoking.

I tried it in VR and 4 bricks blows up my blockade sunderer every single time, I just don't understand what I did wrong. Is VR blockade armor not working? Should I have place them all at the side or top? I humbly seek the guidance from the Council of Engineers!
  2. NoctD

Why not just drop some tank mines and a sticky grenade? Should be an easy boom.

I believe the rear of the sundy has more armor though, so with C4, don't go rear at all.

Also - if you got it smoking and had time, set up your AV turret and finish it off.
  3. Razzyman

Well, there's a few things here. First, blockade armor reduces C4 damage by a large amount, 60% at the top rank. Blockade armor also reduces the damage the Sunderer takes in the rear by 25% at max rank, this is now affected by the fact that the Sunderer no longer has weaker side or rear armor, the armor on a Sundy stock is the same all around, so once blockade armor is equipped the rear is actually the strongest part. This, however, is tempered by the fact that C4 now deals the same damage to the Sunderer no matter where it is placed (I'm not positive on this, but I'm fairly certain). So, when placing C4 it doesn't really matter where you place it, it now deals the same damage everywhere.

If the Sunderer is equipped with blockade armor your best bet at this point is to mine it, as the blockade armor does not affect the damage taken from mines, only mineguard will do that. As an engineer that is your best bet, drop your mines and then toss a grenade at them, or shoot them to set them off.
    • Up x 1
  4. Iridar51

Blockade sunderer? Do people even use them nowadays? Are you sure you don't mean Deployment Shield sunderer?
  5. Azimaith

What Iridar51 said. Deploy Shield sunderers are nigh un-c4able. 4 Blocks will barely accomplish anything and they're getting more common.

I don't recall any blockade sunderers surviving 3 C4's.
  6. Foxirus

Never ever EVER use C4 on the back of a sunderer. The back of a sunderer is the most armored part of the vehicle, While the front is the weakest part.
  7. _itg

Other than using it for the battle bus, blockade armor will do better if you're trying to out-repair sustained damage after a certain point. Under sustained fire, the deploy shield is a flat HP bonus, but blockade armor is an effective HP multiplier, which applies to all repaired HP, as well.
    • Up x 1
  8. Iridar51

Only with Blockade Armor, and not sure if rear damage reduction works against C4. Still, wouldn't risk it, and certainly would not go out of my way to do so.

Blockade Sunderers die exactly to 4x C4. 2x C4 deal 50% of Blockade Sunderer's health.

Deployment shield sunderers are C4-able, but they need a little push to kill finish them. First use 2x C4 to take off Deployment shield, then immediately 2x C4 more to make the Sundy burn. Need a little nudge to finish it off now, hard to do solo.