Burstfire carbines for the engineer?!

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Arngrim, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Arngrim

Hello PS2 community.

This is my first thread an I want to ask my fellow engineers a question about carbines. I play medic once in a while and am surprised how efficient the burstfire ARs have become since the little buff. So now I am thinking about buying a burstfire carbine like the Trac-5 Burst to use as an engi. What do you think about that sort of carbines in general? Viable option or good for nothing? Any preferences?
  2. RedArmy

nothing beats full auto
  3. Eternaloptimist

I have the burst fire carbines and I think they are crazy accurate at medium to long range - which is not usually the range at which a carbine excels. I have to remember to spam the left mouse in CQC though if I want sustained fire. Overall I like the burst fire carbines a lot (although at the moment I am playing around with the insane rate of fire carbines like the Lynx and the GD7F). I think I will alternate between the burst fires and the high RoFs depending on what range each fight is happening at.

Go for it!

PS I never knew the burst fire ARs had been buffed as well - gonna try them out in VR Training tonight. Thx for the heads up
  4. Gundem

Since burst weapons got buffed, that's not completely true. Burst carbines/AR's actually have a negative FSR multiplier, so they have less recoil on the first shot then subsequent shots. With their recoil's generally having been tuned for the better, they accurately put bursts down range, meaning a burst to the head will likely hit all 3 headshots. If you are accurate enough, I might go as far as to say that burst weapons might be superior now. Of course none of the MLGpro 1337 K/D circlejerkers are gonna leave their winshields and medkit spam behind, but for the rest of us burst weapons are quite powerful.

Assuming you can hit all headshots with an auto weapon, it's gonna be obviously better, but the burst weapons make it a whole lot easier.
    • Up x 2
  5. Iridar51

I just can't get burst weapons to work for me. I could more or less use the pre-buff version, but post-buff, they function the opposite to every other weapon in the game. If you like burst ARs, you'll like burst carbines, that much I can say.
    • Up x 1
  6. OldMaster80

In general they require more skill but they are quite ok. HVA has a big benefit making them good from distance but they also do well if you hipfire and move adadad aiming for the head.
  7. Arngrim

Thanks a lot for your answers, they helped me make up my mind!
    I mostly play TR and so I will definitly buy a Trac-5 Burst in the near future.
    Generally, what do you think, which factions burst carbine ist the best?
  8. Eternaloptimist

For me, the TR burst carbine seems to have a bit more recoil on repeat bursts but that could just be me. On the other hand it also has a bigger mag. Generally I find the Vanu burst carbine gets me better results. The NC one is pretty good but it only has a two round burst (334 dmg) compared to three rounds for the other factions (429 dmg) assuming the whole burst hits ofc...............
  9. LimaCharlie

On TR there is only 17ish people that have the TRAC 5 Burst on the PS4 US.
    Right now I'm using it and I love it. It takes some getting used to though. The gun is very accurate.
  10. RedArmy

id just stick with the Lynx n the Jag....
    thats not just cuz i have 10k kills with them, cuz thats what im good with
    why change something im already good with?
  11. SQPD

The S variant carbines also have a burst mode, though the first shot multipliers on those are different from the first shot multiplier on the burst carbines.
  12. Mellow Martian

I use the Gauss compact burst on my engineer. This thing is a medium range monster. It can close range when it has to and it's still alright for long range. I have gameplay videos on my YouTube channel.
  13. LimaCharlie

Hey a tip for guys playing on the Playststion 4... Turn off controller vibration, it will significantly improve your accuracy with burst fire weapons.
  14. Armcross

L
    link please. Directly to the video I mean.
  15. Dualice

I picked up the T1B Cycler earlier today and am quite impressed so far. Can really feel those recoil tweaks, and the tighter ADS accuracy is nice.

The burst-variant carbines received very similar changes, so if you enjoy the T1B it could well be worth a shot. Bear in mind the burst variants' hipfire CoF is worse by default, so together with the burst-only trigger mode you'd be sacrificing a bit of CQ potential. But I guess that's what Jaguar/Armistice/shotguns are for, huh :p
  16. chuck105

I've the Solstice SF and Burst and as much as I want to love both of them, I feel like the Burst in particular seems awkward. A battle rifle is much much better at range and even close quarters and hip fires ok, the Burst is really hard to control. It feels op sometimes, because you get increased rate of fire that's consistent and accurate, but if your intent was to have a weapon that rewarded patient shooting over spamming, this isn't it. The SF has other benefits, more versatility, but again a battle rifle can also have an ub grenade launcher, so either that or a close quarters carbine would be better options.