Bullpups

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Heyitsrobbie1984, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Madone

Yeah but it's still Thales trademark dude, and AFAIK Thales is totally international directed by a french guy. So Thales weapons are international. Calm down your patriotism :D

What do you mean by the french chose another rifle? If you're talking about the FAMAS, the answer is simple, it was MADE in FRANCE and the french army wants its independance (same for the PAMAS, Rafale, Leclerc and so on...) Also by the time, the FAMAS proved it was a great rifle (around 1978 IIRC?) so there was no debate about that.

Today the FAMAS is getting old (pretty normal lol) but it's still a military rifle and it works trust me. Though there are problems with the chamber (actually that's more the "culasse décentrée") which is causing incidents. The army has now 2 assault rifles in sight to replace it, the F90 from Thales and the HK416 which is not a bullpup as you know. The commandos are already using the HK416 and are pretty happy with that so it might be the winner. Though as a French I prefer Thales which offers more control on what we need...
  2. Madone

3. Heyitsrobbie1984

yeah sorry i do get a little too excited when we finally made a decent rifle for once :D

i would have loved to see the Famas get improved like how the Thales F90 has got. if it got the same treatment from Thales and has the same layout as the F90, i rekon the future Famas rifle would look alot better than the F90

I was hoping to see a finished product of the Famas Felin :(
  4. Kcalehc

For the record, I trained with and trained others on the L85A1/A2; while the weapon itself wasn't always great. With proper training and practice (as any soldier will be put through anyways) it is easily as effective as a standard layout rifle.
    • Up x 2
  5. BaldGibbon

Boo, Hiss.....I still pine for my SLR and LMG.

Off Tpoic slightly, but isn't there a growing census of support of going back to the heavier round again?
  6. Madone

No problem, I must admitt that it's the Australian Thales company that is working on it, I just think that today, with the NATO, armed forces are working together whatever the country, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of foreign in the australian Thales subsidiary, as they're foreign working for Thales France.

There are multiple FAMAS version, there's the F1 which was the first version and the G2 that meets the NATO standards in term of magazines. But as I said, there will be no more upgrade, and it will be an another rifle now (after the crysis lol).

What do you mean by finished product of the Felin?
  7. Heyitsrobbie1984

i mean i wish they keep working on the weapon as well as fixing problems with it
  8. HeadshotVictim

NC-Weapons use Gauss-Technology (so a linear magnetic accelerator?) to shoot steel bolts (you don't need an explosive charge with a rail gun).
    A Bullpup could be interesting but perhaps the recoil-reducing elements are so big that no other design is possible...

Think about it:
    You have a foot long bolt of metal. (Look at the magazine sizes...)
    This thing is
    a) huge
    b) massive
    c) heavy
    and gets accelerated to 600m/s.
    So you need a pretty good recoil-softening not to rip your arms off, when firing a round or even empty the clip.
    Have you seen the calibers of these weapons? 2 cm Perimeter, 30 cm long, density of 7.87 g/cm^3:
    2.967 g.
    NC are shooting 3 kg of steel with 600 m/s. You need recoil compensation :D a lot of it.

TR:
    don't know how they shoot... perhaps see above.
    If they use explosive cahrges to fire projectiles Bullpups are possible...

VS:
    well... I don't understand where their recoil comes from... :D
  9. ladiesop

Well, we already know how big their fire mechanisms are from the size on the existing weapons, and it shouldn't be too much to convert them to Bullpup format.

I did a quick photoshop of the NC1 as a Bullpup:

[IMG]

Although hastily done, you can see you get maybe 20 to 30% more barrel length for the same overall length. You could probably get it even shorter by flattening the stock (it is longer than it needs to be here really).
    • Up x 1
  10. Wolfwood82

Energy has mass (even light) so projecting it would have some level of recoil, though that level is negligible.

Plasma is energy that functions like matter and has more mass then light. VS weapons fire bolts of plasma, so they are firing very light bullets rather then lasers. I doubt that the weapons use gauss tech to fire the weapons. I'm more inclined to believe it uses rail gun technology, building up a mass of electromagnetic energy behind a plasma bolt that is formed inside the barrel and shoving it out that way, which would cause a bit more recoil then magnetic coils would.
  11. KnightCole

Yeah, we need more Bullpup assault rifles in this game. THis game weapon models are getting kinda boring, all the guns look the same.

Id take that gun you Photoshopped there, NC1 GR all bullpupped and stuff lol.
  12. Heyitsrobbie1984

It'll look even better with weapon sights and camo :D
  13. Rigsta

*Eyes.
  14. Heyitsrobbie1984

Pfft. they arnt that high tech lol
  15. HeadshotVictim

ar$e would be fitting as well... :p (hate me!)
    it's a design thing anyway... I don't really care :D
  16. Pootisyourassoff

Well the new NS smg is a bullpup
  17. Corezer

NC is the only faction I could see realistically being able to take advantage of a bullpup, a longer gauss system would provide significantly more power.

For TR, there's no point...

For VS, I have no idea how their weapons work.

It's a myth that bullpups are significantly shorter, it is usually just an inch or so, with a longer barrel. In the end, you cant make a rifle much shorter than current SBRs unless you want to be firing them one handed. You need something to put your off hand on...

The advantage of a longer barrel is more muzzle velocity, and through the nature of the design being more back heavy you can turn faster while maintaining control for quickly moving your aim from target to target without overshooting. The disadvantage of more weight in total isn't so big as to really slow you down in short sprints when bounding cover or whatnot, it would prolly just have you stopping for breaks more often on long humps if anything.

the advantage in muzzle velocity of using a 24" barrel over a 16" will let you reach out and touch things farther away than you can realistically get PID on them, therefore it isn't that big of a deal. I prefer my SB AR with subsonics over getting a full sized barrel in a bullpup for any CQC applications, as the extra velocity leads to over penetration and blue on blue.

Just my 2 certs.
  18. Corezer

oh and they also take longer to reload, IDC what any armchair expert says, if someone trains with an AR for as long as someone trains with a BP, the AR will reload faster, unless your body isn't human, ARs just facilitate the movement better. Every guy that says "if you train you can be just as fast as an AR" always uses some boot *** PFC getting harassed by wannabe drill instructors in MCT.

19. ladiesop

The muzzle velocity from longer barrel can be a really big deal. It's the difference in stopping power for NATO rounds, which was one of the complaints about the M4 on top of the range.

The difference in length means that you can get a Bullpup AR for the same length as a traditional length Carbine.

The difference in reload speed is just what you're used to. It's not a matter of 'training to be as fast' but what you learnt. It's often impractical to re-train an entire force to use it, basically.