[BUG] Vehicles/travel- area indicator out of sync, missing world objects & LODs, etc.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BengalTiger, Dec 16, 2012.

1. BengalTiger

I ran into the vehicle bugs a few times after the patch, after getting a few observations on what's going on, time to post it here.

Symptoms:

-Area indicator shows I'm in a different place than I'm in, this includes showing the capture points of the far away base the game engine (server?) thinks I'm at.

-When the indicator is out of sync, as I drive through a base I only see the lowest LOD, yesterday I drove through Zurvan Amp which belonged to TR (I'm an NC) and I noticed that the shields not only didn't render, but also allowed me to drive through the otherwise blocked paths- the gate and then the garage, both entry and exit. The SCU shield was also missing, but I didn't attempt to drive in the basement.

-Some objects don't render as well, such as ammo towers. I cannot reload when I drive up to a tower foundation in a friendly base. Other objects such as computer terminals are also missing, as well as capture points (only those of the base my location marker claims I'm in are visible)

-Now the fun stuff: Exiting the vehicle makes it impossible to reenter.

-I've also had my Lightning teleport to the last area where the area indicator was working properly, when I ran to it, I could get back in. Another time it disappeared

-I was also killed when the game claimed I'm out of the battle area. I was a bit North of Rashnu.

-Exiting the vehicle will instantly fix the area indicator.

Theories on the causes:

All this could be caused by the client failing to send proper info on where the player is when the player's in a vehicle.
    Without the server receiving info on me driving, it assumes the tank is parked in point A.

Thus it sends the location indicator the name and status of capture points of the base nearest to point A.
    The decision on what objects function and are rendered in detail also has something to do with the server, so I don't see the base I'm in in detail and freely drive through shields that don't render because the server tells my client I'm somewhere far away.

Leaving the vehicle results in the client sending the coords of my character.
    The server accepts this and updates the LOD and world object displaying function as well as the location indicator.
    The vehicle, however, is still at point A, so when I try to reenter it/interact with it, PS 2 thinks I'm pressing "E" while facing empty space.
    Then the server may update the location of the vehicle on my client, resulting in it disappearing and teleporting either to the last position it was seen by the server in, or off the map completely if there was some other error.

Improper coords could result in the "out of battle area" deaths- which apparently are prevented by the player leaving the vehicle in time, another piece of evidence that the server doesn't communicate properly with the client when the player is in a vehicle.
  2. BengalTiger

Update, got the bug again:

This time I had a squad with me, they confirmed my tank was parked in Tawrich, while I was at Crossroads.
    I was able to kill enemy vehicles that rendered (didn't see infantry at all), even though turrets, infantry, ammo towers and a few other things didn't appear at all.

Then I decided to see just how broken the system is.
    Apparently the server is sure I'm in Tawrich when I arrived at the VS WG, I only got the "out of battle area" message after leaving the tank.

Here's me, just after leaving the Lightning at the VS warpgate:
    [IMG]

Naturally, the tank disappeared instantly, but I managed to take the shot before getting the "out of battle area" message.
    I was also unable to see the Gal parked at the WG before leaving the tank, and I heard no /yells when driving around the shield dome (I was unable to drive through it).

P.S. Neither Image Capture nor Screenshots work. I also don't have enough RAM to film stuff, just got an "out of memory" message when trying to toggle video. The above image is printscreen -> MS Paint.

Edit: Found screenshot folder, My documents/My pictures/Planetside2

Here's the earlier bug when I got killed in Rashnu:

[IMG]

[IMG]

And here's before leaving the Lightning with the location marker showing Tawrich while I was at the Vanu WG:

[IMG]