(BUG) Ammo Packs & Grenade Launcher

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TokyoShoe, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Scorponok

yea the part were you cannot get any more ammo for the grenade launcher, not the other part :p
  2. TokyoShoe

Now that I've got this GL, if I don't pay attention during a fight and end up zero'ing out the ammo for it.. the ammo for my Carbine stops replenishing automatically as well. This has now screwed me over in several fights and the only way around it is to NOT use the GL.

So.. I paid cert points for something I can't use. Heh.
  3. Isidor

I've purchased both the under-barrel smoke and under-barrel frag options for the Trac. From what I understand, the same mechanics (and listed bugs) also work for the shotgun.

I have found that after expending a 'nade, then dropping a box, you won't get the reload to kick in. However, after I move my physical location for a good amount (let's say >200 M?), then attempt an ammo box re-load, it will work; and work continuously, so long as the ammo box is up. Once it is used up, and a new one is placed, the launcher will not reload. I have not whole-heartedly comitted to testing this theory yet, but as of yet the only time I've ever succesfully reloaded smoke or frags is when I have fired at least one of the two rounds, then have moved a long distance from that area, then dropped a box.

This worked case in point this evening, when I launched a nade on the outskirts then assaulted the interior of a Bio-Dome. From within the shield area from a forward base teleporter, I dropped a box at my feet and my launcher reloaded continuously. From Point A where I launched my first nade to Point B was a long distance, and once my ammo box expired and I placed a new one, nade reloads ceased.

What I'm thinking is that there may be in place some sort of anti-spam code that is intermittently kicking in to protect against the exact behavior above; dropping a box and launching an infinite amount of nades, based upon something along the lines of the following:

if (player.meterstraveled > x ), then { launcher.ReloadOK == true }

I have not fully tested the dynamics and variable associated with having to fire shot or not yet. Whatever the case may be, it's buggy as hell, and is obviously spilling over to other reload behavior (as reported by TokyoShoe).
  4. Isidor

Disregard all that. More testing confirms that you just can't expend the second round of nade; if you do, you won't be able to reload. Otherwise, it works fine.
  5. RawrItsTandy

I get the same issues. So much so that I have removed the GL from my Trac-5 S. Being locked into holding an empty grenade launcher whilst in combat is game destroying. Plus with the grenades failing to do any damage on direct impact around 50% of the time for me anyway and the long reload time.

Switching back to laser sight, suppressor and soft points has upped my survivability dramatically. Sticky grenades fill the gap somewhat but it find that they hardly ever stick to things. Lovely bugs.
  6. TokyoShoe

My experiences sound similar to yours in one regard, if I ever expend BOTH rounds in the Grenade Launcher, you're totally screwed until I find a Resupply Station. To make matters worse, after this "Point of No Return" if I ever reload a "partially shot clip" with my Carbine (reload before firing all 40 rounds in the clip) it actually LOWERS my maximum ammo reserve by the difference loaded without replenishing my backup ammo from the Ammunition Package.

Example: My TRAC-5 S starts at 40/200, and my Grenade Launcher is 1/1. If I fire off my GL down to 0/0 without being on an Ammo Pack, then the problem starts. I fire 24 rounds from my Carbine, bringing me down to 16/200. I hit reload, go up to 40/176. Trouble is.. if I'm standing on an ammo pack that 176 never gets replenished up to 200. It stays "locked" at 176. Shoot from 40 down to 10 rounds in the clip, reload again. Reserve drops from 176 to 146 as the "new" maximum ammo reserve, even if I'm standing on an Ammo Pack.

This all starts the moment I fire my GL down to 0/0. Now.. sometimes my GL will suddenly end up at 0/4 if I swap back to it after whittling my Carbine down to a locked zero ammo. I can fire off a few rounds but it'll never ever replenish after that. Whole process is fried until I hit a Resupply Station, then it all restarts again. I can actually reproduce this cycle 90% of the time.

All in all, I've found the under barrel weapons to be more of a RISK to carry and use than other options like the Laser Sight or Foregrip Handle.
  7. Dreighton

I must add to this post, since it come up as a top search result in Google, that when you cannot change back to your gun after hitting 0/0 ammo, and hitting "1" to go back to rifle mode, hitting "B" to change Rate of fire on your GL will get you back to your rifle. also, letting your ammo pack naturally disappear seems to fix the restock bug as well.
  8. MisterBond

To get around the grenade ammo restock bug do this

Spawn your ammo pack, stand in its refill radius

Fire your grenade launcher at something, then instantly, and I mean instantly after firing switch to something else, then back to grenade launcher, and the ammo pack will replenish it, wait till you have 1/1 ammo again

repeat forever

So yeah, until they fix it, you are going to have to rapidly switch every time you fire it.
  9. RblDiver

Heh, necro'd thread, but I'll bite.

If you encounter the reload problem (I've not tried the above solution), here's how you can fix it: Switch to your pistol. Fire a shot. Hit reload, but switch to your main gun before the reload completes. Shoot a single shot, and reload your main gun (let it finish). Immediately after it reloads, switch to the grenade launcher. It *should* reload a single shot. Do this sequence again to have a spare, and it should reload more consistently for the rest of that life (may stop again though, but it'll work for a little while).

And as for switching back to your main gun, I usually hit 3 to switch to my pistol and immediately hit 1 to go to the main gun. Yes B works too, but it just feels more intuitive to me :p lol
  10. SikVvVidiT

This just happened to me, I was SO looking forward to teh GL.. And boy was this a waste of certs.. Not only do I get this bug but the Damge with direct hit's is laughable...

I have wasted so many CERTS in this game it's insane...
  11. Quiiliitiila

I've had this problem with my GL for about a month now, it's so buggy that I just gave up and grabbed a different weapon. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't rely on the GL to reload or even damage enemies with any consistency whatsoever!

I also used to think that it was an intended feature, to cut down the so called "spam". It would only ever reload me like 5-7 grenades, I figured that was it.

It's still one of my favorite weapons though, I'll be going back to it when the shenanigans are over :D

-Quiiliitiila
  12. Fraya

I haven't tried it myself but friend says if you fire the launcher then immediately knife after each shot during the reload animation it wont bug out so something to test.
  13. Trebb

Yes the knife trick works.

There's even more nefarious bugs with the grenade launcher though. Whatever you do, don't run around with it selected. If someone surprises you at close range and you try to noob toob him, they'll take literally ZERO damage. Ive had about 5 instances where after this occurred, I dumped a full round of pistol ammo(as you cant switch from grenade launcher to #1 gun after shooting, ANOTHER bug lol). Even with each shot hitting, I'd get no hit registers at all. It's as if they're invincible to you for 5 seconds after a failed grenade.

They'd then of course kill me by this point, and I see that they still have full shields/health.

It's still a decent weapon, here's some uses I've found in order of usefulness to me:

1) If you're above your enemy, it's awesome
    2) Great if you know someone is camping around the corner.
    3) If you wound someone and they hide behind cover, switch and hit as close to where they are as you can.
    4) Don't forget to knife between shots! (Watch for friendlies running through you though lol, tough to explain that TK)
  14. RblDiver

What I've found to be faster than the knife trick: Right after firing, press 3 and then press 2. It has the same effect as the knife, without the slightly longer time (plus, in a crowded situation you won't knife your teammates).
  15. Navoletti

sorry for my question but what is this weapon?is for a enginer vanu?name of weapon?

i no have information of this weapon and include grenade launcher?is the best..please what is the name.

i have 1000 cert and i need a weapon. with much damage
  16. Armchair

That weapon is the Terran Republic Trac-5 S. The equivalent weapon for the Vanu is the Solstice SF.

These weapons cost 500 certs.
  17. SirKuma

We got people suggesting switching to pistol. People suggesting hitting fire mode switch. People suggesting knifing.

Know what all these have in common? They interrupt the launchers automatic reload. Its pretty damn obvious. Just don't let the launcher reload itself after each shot. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with to interrupt it. I have no idea why people go through those 5 step voodoo dances, I simply hit 1 then 2 to swap between rifle and back to launcher. Do it every time you fire, it works 100%.

Not difficult.
  18. Armchair

I'd do that....except my grenade launcher locks me out of my carbine. Pressing one does nothing. To swap back to my rifle, I need to swap to something else first.

I'm not sure which is more annoying. The bugs....or the fact that the GL takes up item slot 2. I've lost a few firefights because I've swapped to my GL instead of my pistol.....and I've shot a few maxes by swapping to my pistol instead of my repair tool.
  19. SirKuma

If your grenade launcher is locking you out of your carbine immediately after being fired for the first time, without the auto reload completing then congratulations, you have discovered a new and even more annoying bug.This bug is different to the one that plagues all underbarrel launchers en masse.

Since it is most likely related to the carbine, what specific carbine are you using?
  20. Armchair

Gauss compact S.

After firing it, I can not depend on being able to swap directly from GL to carbine. It is certainly locked after the fire/pistol interrupt/reload dance. I initally tried to do GL->carbine interrupt because I assumed that it would have the shortest animation. But now that I think about it, I haven't attempted to swap directly from GL to carbine since the first evening where I decided that it was buggy as hell and just kept using the reliable pistol->carbine detour. I can depend on pistol->carbine to work.

But the whole GL is buggy as hell. Ammo not resupplying? Swap to your pistol, fire it, begin reloading BUT INTERRUPT IT, swap to the carbine, fire some rounds, reload and now your GL is unjammed. Seriously, why the hell should that work? For all I know, my early attempts to GL->carbine failed because I did my initial trial run on a Friday between the hours of 8 and 9.