Buff to Rear Tank Armor --> Goodbye ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhilDun, May 2, 2013.

1. Roadwarrior82

Just put some more rockets on it. So you are angry, that it takes more than ridiculous 1 second?!? Also, nothing changed with the capability of farming infantry. If your ESF is useless now, we can't help you.

Hey tbot, never met you ;)
    • Up x 2
  2. PhilDun

Where's that Libs will be? Irrelevant?

Libs can't get close enough to any tank column to actually kill tanks. They'll get a million Striker lock-ons, and torn up by AA Flak / Skyguards.
    • Up x 1
  3. JonnyAFKay

I am a Pilot and a Tanker and I believe that Tanks needed a buff against Rocket Pod spam to the rear.

As it was before... If I was in a tank on a downward facing slope of a hill attacking a base, all any ESF needed to do was quickly swoop by over the hill behind me and land a few rocket pods (it's pretty easy to do on level ground anyway...), blowing me up in a matter of seconds. Death from this is so fast, that I barely even have time to activate my Vanguard Shield. I've seen this "tactic" being used against so many tanks it is ridiculous
    • Up x 3
  4. PhilDun

Have YOU ever played a tank as a TR or NC?

NC have SHIELDS (working now too, I might add). Boom. Tank saved.

And ALL factions can simply pay attention. I realize that you want to spam the tower-spawn-room without any risk, and rarely look anywhere but straight ahead. But perhaps we should encourage tank drivers to PAY ATTENTION?
    • Up x 1
  5. Slavek

I really don't see a huge problem to be honest. Before this patch, tanks even skyguards(They just require more effort) are just cert banks. When you are up in the sky scouting them out, you are already deciding what to spend your new certs on after you sneeze at them. Now it will take your entire mag to kill them. Even if you miss a rocket or 2, they will essentially combat ineffective in that a nose gun or a friendly tank will just finish them off. If you want the guaranteed kill, pick up a wing man or adjust your strategy, the game will always change and we must change with it. (Saying this as a pilot)
    • Up x 3
  6. HellasVagabond

Darn, we can't have a WORKING feature on a tank now can we ?
    • Up x 2
  7. Harriks

You are right, I rarely fly. I usually sit on the ground and shoot at enemy aircraft with an AA lock-on launcher. I get much more hits/kill when the ESF are distracted and dogfighting and that is why I noticed more dogfights lately
    • Up x 1
  8. Xale

Rear armour weakness was always excessively high, and prohibited tanks from properly utilizing mobility because it would expose their ridiculously vulnerable rears. I'd also point out that taking out 2 MBTs in a single Reaver Rocket Pod clip was always a bit silly.

A less weak rear armour will allow tanks to incorporate more mobility in their tactics, and should permit for more diverse play, which their total health can also be balanced around. It allows the Prowler and Lightning to better put their speed to use in combat, not just as a way to get to a place and then (generally) camp it.
    • Up x 2
  9. Vertabrae

I love the smell of pilot tears in the morning.
    • Up x 7
  10. GSZenith

it is like my birthday today, and i love it. now we just need lolpods to have awful drop and only 6pods each noob volley :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Paulus

Probably should point out the rear armour buff isn't just to make life harder for pilots, the same is true for everything else that points a munition at the tank, it might make Lockonside a bit less of a chore for those who pull armour. You have to admit, however much it may impact the pilots, anything that helps reduce the AV turret spam and any one of the six other rocket launchers/laser cannon not make armour obsolete can only be a good thing.
    • Up x 2
  12. Gurra

Rly man i can belive your not understanding the concept of Libs are suppose to be the Anti tank Not esf.

ESF are the best counter against libs and also maby its time you learn to dogfight instead of trying to farm cheap kills with your *pro* lolpods!
    • Up x 2
  13. Advanced Darkness

This aspect, both the tank armor and the lib dmg increase, is reflective of how it was in PS1. Tank collum rolls up and no orbital strikes available? You get together a Lib strike and bomb it from the stratosphere.
    • Up x 1
  14. Zazen

No offense to anyone, but this change is probably one of the best SOE has made in terms of balancing. It was utterly ridiculous how vulnerable armor was to air. In situations where a faction was outnumbered on a continent and lost its' tech plant, having to pull armor from the warpgate was borderline suicidal. ESF's would just farm them at will along the roads from the warpgate, bringing skyguards with you was pretty futile as they suck hard in their current state.

I see the theme with the changes SOE made. No single individual will be able to kill armor alone without the armor having a chance to react and deal with the threat. That's absolutely terrific, it gives everyone a chance to play, no one gets insta-gibbed, therefore skill and tactics have a chance to flourish.

If they would just carry over some of that methodology to infantry the game would be perfect, TTK is ridiculously short.

Thanks SOE, well done.
    • Up x 5
  15. Purg

Seems like you've not played in a Vanguard. Fully certed shield up, hit in the rear, win for Scythe. Died many times to it.

Here it is plotted for you.

http://www.ps2calc.com/#vehicle1=Va... Pods&weapon1Upgrade0=5&vehicle1Location=rear
    • Up x 1
  16. Sebyos

Libs can fly much higher than lock on range and still hit armor that renders from very high.
    • Up x 1
  17. soeguud

Whoawhoawhoa. AIr still gets the highest SPH thanks to picking off outliers on a whim. As an infantry focused player I stare at the sky and note that my score rate doubles or even triples once i strap on rocketpods. Most from hitting infantries. for gods sake stop whining. you still have a ludicrously easy way to farm certs so be happy.
    • Up x 1
  18. Fafnir

I'm able to unload a full rocket pod salvo into a tank rear, while flying low and at full speed, then I do a horizontal loop and repeat it without giving the driver a chance to repair. And I don't even fly that much.
    Jokes on you OP. Now you have to put some effort to kill tanks.
    • Up x 2
  19. chrisbeebops

The only people complaining much are the solo ESF farmers, the same ones that complain constantly about AA as well. Aircraft was never meant to solo farm ground troops, but they are still extremely powerful in coordinated groups and when supported properly by friendly infantry and armor.

The good pilots will adapt and the bad ones will just rage on the forums like always.
    • Up x 3
  20. ElGreko

You alway complay about increased rear armor, but don`t know something about the gamemechanics of PS2. The damage a rocket makes addicted to the view of the person firing the shot. When you look at the side and fire it will count as a side hit, even the tank turns and the rocket hit the back of the vehicle. And to my knowledge every attack that comes from a greater angle than 45° will count as a hit on the top. So I would say more than 50% of your rocketpods count as hits on the roof. To hit the back you have to fly that low that every tank driver can shot you in your face.
    • Up x 1