[Suggestion] Buff Nanite Auto Repair on ground vehicles.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Leaire, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Leaire

It has a healthy niche on aircraft, but on the ground where you're liable to be constantly taking chip damage, it's almost never used (for good reason). The only situation in which it can be even somewhat justified is if you're solo tanking in an MBT with an AA gun on top, and you don't want to spend 20 years repairing your tank every time you take a few hits due to the increased HP pools in CAI.
    I'm open to suggestions, but my two offerings would either be:
    • Repairs 15% damage every 5 seconds. Damage disables repairs for 8 seconds.
    OR
    • The Nanite Auto Repair System and Mine Guard certification lines have been combined.
    The numbers in the former could be tweaked of course, and I'm partial to the idea of damage not disabling repairs unless it deals more than (x)% of your health in (y) seconds, but I have a sneaking suspicion that would add quite a bit of code work to an otherwise simple value change.
    As for the latter, this would hopefully open up a new defensive slot that might see some use, especially on harassers. In the event anyone is too worried about this ruining tank mines, consider that you're giving up roughly 20% flat health, or minimap invisibility and lockon launcher protection.
    The case for the Sunderer
    • Proximity Repair System and Vehicle Ammo Dispenser have been combined into a single certification line.
    Ammo printer currently offers near-ammo independence to dedicated vehicle players, which leaves the humble ammunition sunderer out in the cold. Its only real role left is feeding massive zergs, or supplying the ammunition to knock over constructed bases; and even then there's only room for one. This change would create a cohesive support sunderer role that first and foremost focuses on keeping other vehicles alive, and just so happens to ease logistics to sweeten the deal. It's more fun for the driver, it's more fun for the other vehicles, it creates diversity in implant selection, and it reduces the number of essentially 'dead' certlines in the game.

It would also need to be paired with a change to the way ammunition sunderers work, to workaround the resupply-false reload bug. Say, the sunderer only resupplies ammo once per minute to any given player, but it resupplies all of their ammunition each time it ticks.
  2. adamts01

Nar: I disagree that chip damage on the ground is worse than in the air. At least with Connery's population, if you're within 3 hexes if a fight that matters then you're getting constantly plunked by something. On the ground it's infinitely easier to just hop out and touch up your health. Anyway, I just read an interesting proposal for NAR on Reddit. Basically let it constantly give you health, maybe at a slightly slower rate, but drop its healing rate down to almost nothing for 8 or 12 seconds when being fired upon. This would basically remove the annoyance of a single Walker bullet or render range flack shell in the air or a random bassi bullet from render range on the ground, but wouldn't affect combat ability.

Ammo/Rep combination: 100% agree. And I think Gals should get the same treatment with the addition of the jamming field. We should be pushing for more crewed vehicles, not 5 sundries or 5 Gals with a single gunner each. Zergs wouldn't notice the difference, but 90% of good fights would sure flow better.
    • Up x 1
  3. Leaire

Yeah, that's my thread on Reddit as well. Like I said there, I'd be happy to see this too.

Sure.
  4. Doc Jim

Combining ammo and repairs on the Sunderer sounds good to me, but it would probably require some changes to earned XP or the XP cap to prevent players from instantly hitting the cap and getting frustrated.
  5. AEROCHAOSS

Yeah combining ammo and repair is mandatory, as Noone needs ammo with ammo printer on and of he needed the repair Sundi still would be the better choice.
    That's the same thing with NAR.
    My concern is that if starting healing too quick it might outclass composite Amor, due more effective health.
    It is also true with ground vehicle you just can jump out and start repair, with air you first need to land.
    In most air scenarios Stealth is still better than NAR, due longer lock on time. So NAR is on esf just for pure air to air when not flying as engie or ground pounding with flares.

Back to NAR on ground I would suggest quicker jump in timer than now, beginning with the half timer, it's 1min right now, right?
    But than reducing it's healing power or make it healing even faster the longer you took no damage, then again with longer jump in time.
    The first way aggressive players would benefit from the second way passive or pretty decent players.

Just for the protocol infantry has it's medkits to gain full health instant or reskits for healing 150% health.
    Further more I would reduce the number of passive slots to these, which are useful or make the useless ones better.
    Mines guard isn't that great and flanker is just bull, the decoy granade of vehicles.
  6. Halkesh

I agree with support sundy idea. It will help both the sundy user and the friendly that need support without making this module OP (since it repair sundy at half speed).

On the other hand, I don't think it's a good idea to instantly resupply vehicle ammo every minute to save people form the fake reload bug : it will only reduce the occurrence, it won't solve the bug itself. And it will be at the cost of xp/ribbon/directives.

For the NAR on ground vehicles, I don't think it's a good idea to merge it with other "useless" certification such as Mineguard. I don't like the concept of seeing something surviving hazard because he chose the counter of it by chance, because it's merged with an certification the guy wanted.

I think something must be done so NAR's only use isn't to repair scratch damage after a 12 sec cooldown.
    That's why I think NAR need 2 things to be a module on part with stealth :

• Being able to repair damage in a moderate amount of time without increasing the vehicle survivability in a direct combat (your first proposition partially answer the problem). In your suggestion you propose 3% health per sec after a cooldown of 8 sec. I think it will create situation were NAR will increase resistance during a direct combat (like a vanguard that hige behind a big rock for 8,01 sec and thus be able to survive one more shell). That'll be more unlikely with a 12 sec cooldown. On the other hand, the repair rate could be increased again to compensate for the 12 sec.
    • Add a niche effect : remove engine smoke and burning/mobility loss when the health drop to 60% and 20%. This niche will have 3 effects :
      • NAR is more effective since it won't be stop from self-inflicted burning damage.
      • You're harder to track (no smoke) or being seen as a easy target
      • You won't lose mobility while in critical state.

Just for info, I've done the maths about NAR repair rate per sec and the time you need to selft-repair from 0 to full (ignoring the fact you can't due to fire damage).
    Repair value are per sec (not every 5 sec). Note that repair tool's repair rate is 125-166 per sec.

Flash 9.6-19.2 per sec (168-90 sec)
    MAX 10-30 per sec (208-75 sec)
    Harasser 16-32 per sec (168-90 sec)
    Ant 20-40 per sec (212-112 sec)
    Sunderer 25-50 per sec (212-112 sec)
    Lightning 60-86 per sec (78-58 sec)
    MBT 37-62 per sec (147-92)
    Vanguard 44-75 per sec (147-92)
  7. Leaire

I'd certainly prefer if the bug were fixed, but since it hasn't been after all these years, I expect it's a non-trivial problem with the resources they have, and this is a workaround that might only require exp/directive adjustments. Having a repair sundie constantly induce false reloads as it follows you would be rage inducing if things were left as-is.

That's a very interesting take on it, and I could see hiding damage states as being fairly valuable.
    • Up x 1