[Suggestion] Buff Mana turret and add cost/cool down.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GImofoJoe, Nov 14, 2014.

1. GImofoJoe

Add resource cost and/or cool down for the Mana turret, and buff this crap to useful status....Or create something entirely new. I'm talking about serious indoor area denial that make enemies think twice about bull rushing in.

Comparable to a lock down max or better with more health, and of course cheaper than 350, because of 1 use and you can't move. Even better, why not just let engineer build those base turrets anywhere 1 at a time, but construction takes time so people can't build it right in the middle of a huge fight.

Auto turret is a nice touch but not as satisfying as shooting noobs in the face yourself...
  2. Obyx

I think the only thing the AI MANA Turret needs is some resistance to explosives like Rockets & Grenades. I really enjoyed using it when I found a good spot for it, but its susceptibility to explosives made it really difficult to use in do-or-die defensive situations where you could really use one. Typically in those situations I found it better just to set it up as a makeshift shield and use my carbine so I could still attempt to dodge.

I think it's in a good spot regardless - great damage profile, pinpoint accuracy while bursting, unlimited ammunition, shielded from non-headshots, and even bypasses concussion grenades' effects - but a small tweak to explosive resistance would really make it useful in a wider variety of situations.
    • Up x 1
  3. Joexer

I feel like the AI one sucks but the AV one is mediocre. In exchange for a dedicated mobile class for all of the above you get a stationary, weakish, vunerable all rounder. Once the rest of the resource revamp is done it shouldnt need a cost to pull.
  4. Kunavi

I think they need to withdraw the current AI turret, at this point EVERYONE I KNOW can shoot through the shield gap comfortably at 50M give or take, that's with any average rifle. The side cover does not justify this at all either, you're open and immobile(Like using Anchor/Lock and that doesn't even give you shields OOOPSSeeWutISaidThar). As an aggressor, these turrets just make me drool and go through my options of how much more humiliating can I make the turret operator's demise. I've found probably ONE or TWO places it can relatively work well, that's in very specific facility types and in fact, in very specific areas.

I've seen them used to provide cover but then I end up exploiting it more than the guy who placed it and vice versa. When I see them lined up I applaud the effort for about 1" then proceed to blow them up.

I only die to these when I'm an overextending, arrogant, KD hungry MAX and even then I can put more than enough Mercy rounds in the operator's head real quick and Charge away. Or you know, Charge in and kill them with MAX punch from the side.

Like many other obvious, immobile targets, it's a Frag/Sticky/AV/C4/Rocket magnet.

So here's what I'd do;

AI is buffed to the point of almost OP like the AV but loses shields. Any person can use them(Lock Menu). You can duck behind it WHILE using it by pressing "S"(Default) for partial cover. They are easy to break, loud and large(Like the AV). I'd perhaps buff their accuracy by the way(Cover mechanic and free use would also go for the AV).
    Now I'd add a proper SHIELD WALL for Engineers like we were promised.
    And then I'd be done with this.

On a later phase I'd greatly improve the turrets by allowing them slots where one can decide to go for faster CD, higher accuracy, more Dmg, optics, I don't know. For the AV one I'd have slots increasing projectile travel speeds ETC(But just so not ANY scrub can pull one and start harassing, as they'll start off very weak- Also Cert sink).

Later on, I'd make them ES, where the AV Vanu is based on the Lancer ETC ETC you get the picture.

And then I'd move on to specialize each Infantry piloting or driving giving different benefits and options to their rides.

And then... OK I'll stop. Because either way this dried out stale no options slug fest is all we'll ever have until either we're out of Beta, or PS3 launches. Or PS2 dies. While in Beta practically ;)

TLDR Yeah they need some <3. All immobile cannon fodder crap do. You know what I'm talking about, don't you SOE. Yeah.
  5. Kunavi

In addition I'd not build separate AutoTurrets - I'd just have an option for Artificial Intelligence Suite in the slots I mentioned. And even one option which would allow remote control. But I'd be OK if those were all separate turrets too. Same thing basically just a lot more work.

And as I've proposed before, in case of AI Suite I'd let people prioritize targets between Infantry, MAX, Light Vehicles through the menu.

But for now I can settle with just an AI floating drone instead of any or all of those options? I think? Not to sound like a bloated Ego farting, but if I may say so I find even my ideas(Which may not be the best) a lot more interesting.

Quick add : Forgot to say I'd make all these HACKABLE, prone to bait by Decoy 'Nade and vulnerable to EMP.
  6. Kunavi

Okay okay LAST ONE I SWEAR! Sorry for spamz.

Taking bets : Implants that block AutoTurret locking instead of say, Infiltrator Cloak buffs ;P Who's taking that? ;P