[Suggestion] Buff Citadel Shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, May 14, 2020.

1. TRspy007

Really?

What's the point of making the shield so weak?? I decided to use it again today during low pop hours, we controlled the Crown, pushing to T.I. .As usual so bright minded tryhard(s) had exploded every single spawn at the fight, and dropped a few nukes on everyone.

So in order to help my team cross the ridge and set up a spawn, I decided to use a citadel shield to cover our advance. Population on the server/fight was even, VS had 1% more than the rest of the faction. The shield was above the ridge (not in enemy territory), and we had the high ground. It lasted about 20 seconds. I can't tell if it was because of all the damage it absorbed, or if people actually focused fire on the top, but it went down really quick. I decided I'd use another one. It lasted literally 3 seconds this time. I barely had the time to put it down and push, the thing was already down.

No wonder we rarely ever see that thing, and instead everyone uses OS or bastions. The shield is complete crap. In fact, the only time I've seen it have a use was where some A2G esf decided to deploy one at the top of a mountain, right next to the base. There were maybe 12 people on each side of the fight, this guy just wanted to sit in his bubble and farm a bit, safe from lock-ons. Another time in Allatum bio lab, the guy deployed the shield outside so it would cover an advance to the gen room.

Aside from that, they are too weak to actually have an impact on the fight. Buff them, like skyshields, make them absorb an OS blast.
  2. Quovatis

Agree. In medium to large fights they only last seconds. In small fights, they last the full 6 min and can change everything.
    • Up x 1
  3. Efraim

i dont even bother buying them with outfit resources anymore
    • Up x 1
  4. The Shady Engineer

These are tricky to balance. Yeah they're kinda weak at the moment but buff them too much and they become obnoxious with their "can shoot out but can't shoot in" mechanic.

Only buff to it that I think is reasonable is make it cheaper to craft as it's not worth the effort right now with how expensive it is. Maybe increase the limit on how many shields can be held in reserve too.
    • Up x 1
  5. Johannes Kaiser

Agree that it needs either a buff or a cost reduction, but there's also a lesson in here: Don't place the thing where you have the low ground and enemies can shoot at the generator without putting in any effort.
    • Up x 2
  6. TRspy007

That's the thing: we had the high ground. We were attacking T.I. FROM the Crown. That's why I was quite confused why they went down so quickly, and I'm wondering if the shield as a whole has some sort of maximum damage it can take.

I think it could use a buff, because it will only be used mainly in 2 scenarios:

1) A zergfit wants to further crush a small fight (aside from dumping Orbital Strikes and/or a Bastion). In which case, there's not much the defenders were going to be able to do against that anyways.
    2) Your average veteran/tacticool small outfit who actually wants to have a fun fight, do something tactical to support their team instead of dumping a few nukes. In which case, it would be great if the shield actually allowed for that.

Buff it, and/or further reduce the cost. If anything, it can be adjusted by making the timer shorter to balance the fact it actually takes effort to kill.
  7. OneShadowWarrior

Agreed, it is very underpowered, I think only allowing it to be destroyed from the inside would be a start.
    • Up x 2
  8. Johannes Kaiser

Okay, then my brain mixed it up after reading because it was confused too. :D
    • Up x 1