Bring back the GM presence, please.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Jan 17, 2014.

1. allattar

See its not just obvious cheats.
    Sure you see the odd double speed reaver, the guy shooting from inside the walls. etc.... This happens regularly enough to be annoying.
    Warning Anedcdotal: Last week I saw one O00oOoOO000 character in a high speed reaver. Saw complaints and was shot by some *** in a wall. Watched TR complain about a vanu in a wall.

Maybe I should diary this.

Most often its one guy at a time doing this. It ruins a fight, people log off. It might not seem a big deal but it can be. The longer this person does it, less people play. Perception is the game is full of hackers, and before we know it were in APB territory.

Now what is more difficult to quantify is for everyone of the above, how many have decided for slight assistance. A little tweaked cof here, or a reduced recoil there. How many people have an extra paid for "radar" slot.

These cheats are out there, and people pay for them. It would be very interesting to know how much some of the cheat maker have made from selling them. It would give us an idea of how bad the problem is. But I doubt any of them would like to indulge us by telling how many downloads they have had.

These players may love the game, but eventually they will kill it. Unfortunately without any data to go on and anecdotale evidence estimating the number of players cheating is impossible. What we do need is a sample of gameplay recorded where we can see suspicious behaviour.

Sure I have observed unbelievable things. Some of it has been legit, but some of it.... Definately not. My favourite was seeing one guy in reaver able to clip through the ground and come back up again. Could it be lag... perhaps, but movement was not lag movement.

The true test of luck or cheating is if its repeatable.
    • Up x 1
  2. Earthman

I send a /tell to a GM and got a personal response for a particular suspected cheater. It was brief, but it was real.

If we're going to go into the "well it didn't happen to me so it doesn't exist" route, that goes straight to nowhere.
  3. Earthman

It's depressing and even a bit frustrating just how zealously some Forumsiders say "it never happens" or "it happens so little that it doesn't matter" and have nothing to back it up but paradoxical "prove it" blustering and anecdotes of their own.

The cheats exist. They are for sale. They are easy to find. Saying it doesn't happen because you'd rather nothing be done about it is highly suspicious to me.
    • Up x 1
  4. MorganM

Agreed.

What's cool is they could actually make the bot somewhat sophisticated. For example a certain percentage of /tells could be responded ignored and some responded to with a scripted response. They would need several hundred responses so people couldn't notice "hey, that's the EXACT response I got last week!"

There are some very sophisticated IRC bots out there that fool people. It's not exactly that hard to do. But it would require more effort than a simple bot that never responded.

Again; all totally worth it IMHO. Plus far cheaper than hiring people =)
  5. Earthman

I'd rather just hire people. One per rotation per server. Yes, the cost would add up, but bleeding customers week by week while parasites with scripts slowly kill the game is worse.
  6. MorganM

Yeah I know I'm just saying that I've never got a response so to say it's untrue isn't... true; we don't have to debate it for a week =) It's truly a moot point. Or is it untruly a moot point? I'm confused now...
  7. MorganM

I don't disagree but SOE hasn't done it yet so I'm just suggesting there is an alternative that could have a similar effect. Possibly just something to get them by until they do hire some people ya know?
  8. Earthman

When you say "never" and someone says "sometimes" the "never" part is automatically a "sometimes" unless the instance was a lie.

Unless both me and Penitus are lying (or anyone else who posts the same), it shows that they did sometimes answer. Even if that wasnt their immediate job.
  9. Doc Jim

(Woodman EU)
    While I do see blatant cheating at times, there has been a lot less of it in the last couple of months.
    If I recall correctly there was a lot of cheating during the last winter and spring.
    But it is quite frustrating, when you have invulnerable vehicles going on a rampage and staying online for several hours despite dozens if not hundreds of reports for blatant cheating.
  10. Earthman

I'd love it if each account had to be authenticated (even if not paid for, yes yes I know the "MUH COMMUNITY" Forumsiders would scream and howl), so if someone was banned, that's another layer to trap easy repeat account making for more scripting.
  11. Earthman

According to Forumsiders, your statement of an invulnerable vehicle never happened because you didn't dutifully FRAPS the whole thing in triplicate.

This forum is sometimes the only thing more grating than the game itself. :p
  12. allattar

Earthman. One thing you can guarantee is that the cheat users love this game. They like it enough to buy an advantage.
    This will also mean that the cheat users will watch these forums for all the great new things coming, and also make suggestions about the game.

Some of these will want to impress that cheats are nothing to worry about, because it defends themselves from accusations in game. For those who say it never happens there was a very famous incident in PS1 where a vocal member of the forums was caught out. This was on werner.

You do have to be careful though otherwise you start a witch hunt and any voice of reason is called a witch.
  13. Earthman

Witch hunts already happen.

All you have to say is "cheats are getting out of hand" and watch them come with their torches, chanting anti-witch slogans like "mad cuz bad" and "FRAPS or it didnt happen lol".
  14. Doc Jim

I'm too lazy to google it... Is FRAPS some kind of recording software?
  15. Pirbi

I don't doubt there are hackers. I've seen some too obvious to ignore. But I'll also bet every entitled brat playing the game reports every person that kills them and that is really why the real hackers aren't dealt with. They are hidden in mountains of report spam.
    • Up x 1
  16. MorganM

Oh jeez yes fine... I should have said *I* never got a response or they never responded to *ME* instead of 'they never respond'. They do responde...sometimes... just never to ME.

We actually agree more than we disagree in this thread; from what I can tell.
  17. Commissar Penitus

It is recording software that requires you to know in advance that a hacker is in the floor and have a clunky and rather resource-hungry program slowing the game down just to satisfy Forumsiders in their relentless quest to make sure nothing is ever done about cheaters, ever.
    • Up x 1
  18. Doc Jim

Oh, by the way, have you guys noticed the influx of low level characters that pull of headshots surprisingly often?
  19. Commissar Penitus

I saw a few of those today already.

Few things seem to energize Forumsiders like cheat accusations. And by energize I mean personal attacks and at-all-costs denials.

If I was naieve and believed that gamers generally had integrity I'd assume that they'd LIKE to have cheaters identified and dealt with so the game remains fair and fun instead of an arms race of third-party scripts.
  20. Commissar Penitus

Of course I have. They usually have names like lililILLililililliililii or oo0o0o0oo00ooo or garbage like that.

But the Forumside mantra about them is "they are just MLG pro alts that made new alts just to show off skillz at low BR". Which is such a speculative stretch that it makes me double facepalm when I read it.