Brilliant Striker idea (serious thread)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AdmiralArcher, Jul 26, 2014.

1. AdmiralArcher

apparently this has been suggested several times....oh well...might as well suggest it again

make the striker a dumbfire with proximity detonation rockets

imagine a handheld coyote missile launcher

eh? sound like a good idea?

the damage might have to be reduced....but it would be cool
    • Up x 1
  2. Phyr

Been suggested multiple times.
  3. AdmiralArcher

oh......oh well......it was worth the try
    • Up x 6
  4. Ranik

Been suggested a million times but still a good idea. Wouldn't require much work at all as the functions are already there. Just the RoF/Velocity/Damage have to be looked at.

And yet absolutely nothing has happened to the striker in ages after it was rendered inferior to the Annihilator.
  5. Phyr

I'd like to see them make it either a hand held coyote or give it exponential damage rather than it's current linear damage.
  6. Maljas23

Keep suggesting. Maybe one day they will actually do a balance pass on the Striker.
  7. KMFR

Well, it definitely needs something. The damage nerf combined with lock-ons not avoiding geometry really buried it on the list of viable AA/AV options. There are, of course, several ways to bring it up to par. A few ideas I've seen/had:

•Bring back it's ability to avoid geometry but reduce damage slightly to compensate
    •Bring damage back up but leave the other stats alone
    •Make the lock timer zero and increase ROF
    •Turn it into an HA carried Fracture (I like this one the best, tbh)

Any one of these would make it decent and viable. Let's just avoid making it OP again.
  8. Zamfwo

this suggestion would bypass the anti-radar certs.....nope
  9. AdmiralArcher

and the NC rayvens dont?

what about the AV mana turret?

the phoenix and lancer both bypass anti-Radar certs as well

your point is invalid
    • Up x 6
  10. Maljas23

Srsly?
  11. sL360

I don't care what they do, they need to do it now or SOON. I'm tempted to save for an annihilator so I can use it, come onto the forums like a raving madman and say for certain that it's a better striker. I'd rather not spend the certs...
    • Up x 1
  12. TriumphantJelly

Still a better love story than Twilight.
    • Up x 1
  13. Udnknome

It was this way on PTS before they released it. Basically it turns a TR heavy into a viper lightning tank when you use it against infantry. To counter this, they made it require a lock on to fire.

This wasn't a big deal originally, the striker was the only lock-on that could shoot it's rockets through objects (bug). Once the bug was fixed though... I guess it made the option rather -meh. Now that the velocity of all lock-ons have been decreased so ESF's can outrun them, it's even worse.

--Perhaps they should buff the striker to be the fastest velocity lock-on rocket, much like the Jackhammer is the longest range shotgun for NC. This way, it will work as a better anti-vehicle weapon-and better than the other factions lock-ons, while still not being a spamfest against infantry.
    • Up x 2
  14. AdmiralArcher

alll you have to do is make it so that it doesnt detonate when it hits soldiers, it could simply hit them for way less damage, kinda like the lancer
  15. Udnknome

Like the UBGL? --- I'm not sure that is a buff... and it will lead to even more whining that the striker is useless.

Here's a fun fact about the PS1 striker: In PS1, when the striker was first introduced you could dumbfire your rockets before you locked on and they would redirect to the locked on target. Was fun shooting 3-4 shots in the sky, locking on a target to fire the last 2 and all the rockets would spam from different directions. -- was nerfed later (or bugfixed) because it bypassed the need to remain exposed to fire all of your rockets in lockon mode.
  16. AdmiralArcher

no i mean it would be less effective against infantry than against Armor, they would still do damage to MAX units, but its not meant to be used against infantry
    • Up x 1
  17. Zamfwo

No but you have to stay looking at those targets till the rocket hits. Coyote missiles work where you just fire them in the general direction of a target, they fly laser straight, if you aimed close enough, they auto lock on and zip towards the target. It would be the only TRUE fire and forget missile launcher. You could play pe-ka-boo all day long with it because it would have no lock on timer.

Extremely low risk with very high reward.

NO...stop asking for it
  18. Fenrisk

Let me put it this way.

I own all TR rocket launchers and I NEVER use the striker.

I use the Annihilator in a armour heavy fight or grounder in a air heavy fight but my standard is the Devastator for pure damage.
  19. AdmiralArcher

the phoenix can be fired from inside spawn rooms with extreme percision, the lancer has such a fast travel time that it might as well be instantaneous

the annihilator is fire and forget, the skep, crow, nemisis, hades, and grounder and the other NC lockon rocket launcher are ALL fire and forget

the striker is and the pheonix are the only none fire and forget launchers in the game

i really dont get how your logic is working on this, fire and forget missiles were developed after the vietnam war when it was determined that SAAM missiles couldnt cut it when it came down to dogfighting, (SAAMs were basically real life striker missiles, only if you lost the lock for a second, and then regained it, the missile could re-lock)

fire and forget means that your launcher's radar locks, and then that information is given to the missile, and then the missiles does the rest of the work. SAAM missiles do have the advantage of being nearly impossible to fool, mainly because its a human who is determining where the missile goes, so it cant be fooled by flares, if the striker couldnt be stopped by flares, it would be awesome, but instead its a POS because its using old technology with no advantage over regular lockons

a coyote style striker would work perfectly, it wouldnt deal splash damage to infantry, and it would solve all of the other problems that people have with the striker. it would have to have its damage reduced, but at least it wouldnt be useless
    • Up x 2
  20. Axehilt

It's still a great idea, for a new TR ESAV.

I definitely don't like changing the Striker to work this way. A weapon's role should not change once released. Players who purchase a weapon are buying it for the role it had when they purchase it. That role shouldn't change (even though the balance can change, as is required of the current underperforming Striker.)

But adding a new TR AV weapon that works like a shoulder-mounted Coyote could be great! I'm all for it.
    • Up x 1