[Suggestion] Boost duration

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TRspy007

Pretty simple suggestion, instead of making the boost last 1 day for example from June 24 to June 25, make it so the boost lasts one day in the time that character using the boost is online. This sounds more fair as not all of us can spend one day, a week or 6 months glued to our planeside 2 screens, as much as we'd like to. I understand that daybreak is here to make money, but I find that in switching how the boosts operate, it will make an incentive for more players to purchase boosts, as they won't risk loosing what they paid for. Players that already purchase boosts play frequently, and so that probably will not affect much how many boosts they buy/use, and it makes more sense that the run time for a boost is what run time it has in game, and not real life. Thanks for your understanding.
    • Up x 8
  2. Liewec123

i'll sign this!
    it does seem wastefully currently buying a 24 hour boost because i want to spend a 6-7 hours farming on my one gaming night a week, and the single hour boosts just don't cut it.
    noone really needs their cash going to boost XP at 5-6am while they're in bed!
    granted it only costs 8p an hour! (lets face it, if you've decided it is worth running a boost you run 2! so 16p an hour!)
    so if you go to bed at 1am and wake up at 10am, you've just spent £1.44 boosting xp while you slept. o_O

it'd be nice if there was an option, (a more expensive option!) to get a 1 day boost that is only active when you're online.

that one day boost would last me 3-4 weeks! playing for 6-7 hours on my single gaming night each week!

i know they'll never do it, but it would definitely get me buying boosts!
    i'd always have them active!
  3. adamts01

Their goal is to compel players to regularly log on and play. Same reason you have to log in for daily membership certs instead of collecting them once a month. However, despite not being cheap, I would never consider buying a boost. But if they only counted down while logged in, I'd absolutely buy them. I think most are in this boat. Lost money for Daybreak if you ask me.
  4. Liewec123

depending on what we mean by "buy" i'm the same!
    currently a subscriber, (that will change in an instant if the PTS max changes go live, but thats a different story!)
    and being a subscriber you get double xp for the last weekend of the month (along with the 50% bonus xp from the subscription!)
    the subscription also gives you 500dbc a month, and since there is nothing that i want to buy, that 500 dbc = 2 one day boosters for my gamey night that week!

so i don't pay anything more than the subscription, but my last gamey night of the month gives quad xp, thanks to "free" boosters! :D
    i see you're a subscriber too, so if there isn't anything cosmetic that you want to buy, i'd recommend logging on tonight (or next weekend!) and joining the quad xp crew!
  5. vonRichtschuetz

Remembers me of the people that protested because McDonald's hamburgers were the same price as hheeseburgers.
    "My burger should be cheaper because it doesn't have cheese on it but is otherwise the same."
    What happened was cheeseburger price went up 10 cents, hamburger price stayed as was.

Translated to this situation:
    You want to have "24h played time" instead of "24h irl".
    Expectable scenarios:
    a) Boost duration stays 24h, price will be 6 times higher.
    b) Price stays same, duration will be reduced to 4 hours to compensate.
    Both scenarios could make it more expensive to do a weekend binge.
  6. adamts01

haven't been a member for years. Add one more bug to the list.

DX11 and the Max nerf (funny enough), made me cautiously optimistic about this game. PSA killed any and all excitement for PS2. PSA might even be good. I'll be following its reviews. But PS2 is dead to me. Sad timing too, as I just moved back to the States after years in Asia. Finally have a great connection. The other issue is that Soltech killed Connery, and no way in hell am I starting over on Emerald.

What would help this game infinitely more than a boost change, would be server transfers, even if they're paid.
  7. SixNineFour

Even better IMO would be to make boost based on amount of exp earned instead of time based.

Like: you get 50% boost to next 250000 exp earned.

This maxes boost fair to EVERYONE. As it is currently, farmers, high skill players and exploiters get massively more out of boosts than new or low skill players and it leads to cheesy gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  8. AllRoundGoodGuy

Found this out couple years back...

Linky Link

Old bug for sure.
  9. Pacster3

1. That would make boosts feel uninteresting tho. Get them, pop them, forget about them.
    2. It would be hard to balance on top of that cause players that don't play much might get stuck with unused boosts(cause they don't make enough certs in their play session to get rid of them)...while others will burn through them.
    3. For what? If the boost is nothing but a flat out cert number(250000exp is nothing but that)...then you can give them the certs right away.
    4. If you wanted them to get in line with the other rewards then you have to make it 50000 XP(or even less when it comes to the implant reward). You'd downsize them for everyone that got more than 1h playtime a day once in a while. DBG might approve that...new players likely won't cause it will make it even harder for them to get all the toys they want to try. And I'm really just thinking about new players here cause I got all I want with my 400.000 certs(tho making 12k certs this weekend was quite sweet. But I mostly bought stuff I will likely never use.). ;-)