Bolt Actions need to be able to kill again

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Valena, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Netsurfer733

I say, if SOE has a problem increasing the headshot multiplier for bolt actions straight up, why not release an implant that allows you to get a greater headshot multiplier for, say, -50% body damage?
  2. Effect

Sniper rifles kill fine still IMO. From this morning.

[IMG]
  3. cfnz

This is true though I think it promotes poor gameplay if people need to constantly move because they are concerned that if they stand still for a moment they’ll get sniped. I know I do it, usually side to side or circular movement when repairing, healing or engaging at moderate ranges. I wouldn’t label it as being a trait of a good player, rather one of a more experienced or perhaps paranoid player ;).
  4. Valena

Well you should really be moving all the time anyway. It doesn't just make you a harder target for snipers, it makes you a harder target for everyone, even in CQC.
  5. cfnz

I know. It's just a gamey element of fps that really bugs me for some reason, and I'm more referring to side to side (adad) style movement rather than movement in general.
  6. Valena

I know what you mean, it frustrates me to be on both ends of it. It's one of the reasons I prefer not to play CQC classes.
  7. Steveru

I swear to god, Valena, I've been sniping since the update with no issue. I never knew this even existed until, like, a day ago when I was noticing it, not sure if I got the headshot or not, but then confirmed it when a few dozen ManaTurret snipers escaped with an extra ounce of lead in their foreheads.

Then I just happen to find this. Now every time I play, I'm running into these NW guys left and right... what... on god's GREEN earth... IS THIS!?!? WHY CAN'T I WAKE UP FROM THIS!?!?!!
  8. Get2dachoppa

Checked some of those players, not every single one, and most of those multiple kills were under BR 10. Also looks like most of them belong to an outfit I consider to be full of griefers (to put it very mildly). So while I'm glad you were farming them, they are exactly the kind of noob players I would expect to stand perfectly still without nanoweave and give a sniper an easy kill.
    • Up x 1
  9. Satex

I've been playing an infiltrator for the past two days or so and managed to get the 100 cert rifle.. X89? the vanu one. 12x scope & forward grip on it.

So far I haven't had any problems placing headshots from over 200+ my record so far is 299m. I do not use a silencer as I move around after each shot. Priority = Medic/Engineer/Infiltrator ....sometimes HA to protect tanks and sometimes a LA on a roof who thinks he is safe.

Now my question is this would mean that nobody I killed uses the NW2? Or is it because I do not use a silencer?
  10. VSDerp

i have no issues with my parallax
  11. Effect

I will admit it was relatively easy due to my positioning. But this also proves that sniping is viable. There are plenty of people who don't want to use NW over flak armour or something else (I use my maxed out utility pouch on my NC :p)

This is addressed at everyone. But going by the logic of complaining about bolt actions vs nanoweave, mines need a buff because mine guard is so powerful . Or explosives need a buff because of flak armour.

Some people are going to have nanoweave, you're going to have to suck it up and shoot them twice or get a buddy to hit the target same time as you.
  12. DeathSparx

I believe Effect's killboard is an example of while there is an influx of experienced players picking up nanoweave armor (that'll we'll have to double-tap to kill) but that there is a large growth of new players who don't really understand the suit slot options yet and are therefore as easy as picking certs from a cert tree. xD

At the very least, GU11, which is being installed on all servers as I'm typing this, will reduce the effectiveness of ADAD'ing so that we don't have to deal with targets ADAD'ing that have nanoweave armor...and if they try, they'll be too predictable.
    • Up x 1
  13. Get2dachoppa

Viable against who however? Low BR and inexperienced players? I don't mean that as a criticism against you directly, its just whenever I see these epic sniping killstreaks its almost always padded with lots of low BR players. I'm not sure that's a good reflection of the class as a whole if our viability is mostly limited to headshoting noobs.

And true, some people may equip other suit slots. When I'm doing close quarter fighting, I still equip Flak armor because I tend to run into lots of invisible mines. But the more experienced players, even without nanoweave armor equipped, already know to keep moving to counter snipers from headshoting them.

To be honest, my real problem with nanoweave is the distance at which it stops headshots. I'd be fine with it if high level NW stopped headshots at greater distances then what it does now. Stopping headshots at 60m (which I've experienced multiple times) or even less than that is just stupid. I also think its unfair to tell Infiltrators "suck it up and shoot them twice" when sniping is supposed to reward effective, precise shots. In essence, snipers are punished by having to work twice as hard to get a kill while the nanoweave user is rewarded for being lazy and making himself an easy target. Maybe the NW user should suck it up and not stand still or make better use of cover?
    • Up x 5
  14. Chris Bingley

I've never had a problem getting 1HK with my infiltrators. I only use the basic bolt action rifles (the Bolt Driver, XM-98 and M77-B). I find that nanoweave isn't that prevalent mostly because of Youtubers like Koolaid who've shown people the joys of utility belts etc.

When I'm sniping I use shield capacitor, because unless I'm shot in the head by an enemy sniper, I'll most likely just lose some of my shields (maybe some health) and I'll just drop into cover, lets my shields regenerate (and my restoration kit heal me up if necessary) cloak up and relocate.

Also, there needs to be a way to protect yourself from 1HK shots otherwise the game would become very frustrating whenever a really skilled sniper was on the battlefield (the kind that can hit no matter how you move).
  15. RecklessTalent

[quote="Chris Bingley, post: 1881128, member: 146771

Also, there needs to be a way to protect yourself from 1HK shots otherwise the game would become very frustrating whenever a really skilled sniper was on the battlefield (the kind that can hit no matter how you move).[/quote]

so you want something that can protects you from less then 1% of the snipers in the game?
  16. Astraka

Too bad there is no certifications to protect you from PA Shotguns, direct hit tank shots, direct hit rocket launchers, direct hit AV rockets, etc. I guess one could argue that most of those require skill to get a OHK, but then again that is one of the main arguments for OHK Bolt Actions.

I would be thrilled if they removed all OHKs from the game personally as long as they gave proper compensation when necessary, but singling out the Infiltrator is a pretty lame move.
    • Up x 2
  17. Effect

Viable period. There will always be players who don't use NW. There will always be players who at one point stand still. If I know I can't land a HS, I go for a body shot and line up a 2nd body shot. Headshots are not the end all be all of sniping. NW is likely intended to counter headshots. Just like mines are countered by mine guard. Mines are more expensive in certs (if you go into utility pouch) and of course the IP cost, but they're countered completely by mineguard, which on any vehicle is maxed out with 330 points and completely shuts down mines in most cases. Of course mines can always be driven around and destroyed before doing any damage. It's really not all that different between sniping and NW.
  18. Astraka

Except in most cases sniping takes skill on behalf of the user, while mines are place & forget weapons.
    • Up x 2
  19. Effect

Which is why mines are extremely expensive compared to sniping. But the analogy still stands.
  20. Scan

Well that's all fine and dandy mate, but during peak hours. (between 19:00 and 22:00) when all the high ranking Outfits are slugging it out over the Alert objectives, you'll suddenly find yourself fighting people with a battlerank of 50 and over. These people all use Nanoweave, for the obvious reasons.

For any sniper that knows what he's doing, this suddenly becomes an issue, because you are no longer able to reliably kill combat medics, engineers and heavy assaults, or rely on your headshots to help keeping your position hidden for the entire enemy platoon. I shoot people in the head, because I don't want them to know where I shoot them from, because missing the headshot, gives the enemy a direction where he was shot from, immediatly informing his platoon to your wherabouts, effectively ruining you effort to get there unseen.

For instance:
    - I often target engineers repairing their tanks. Now I shoot the engineer, get the "BING" and the engineer happily goes: "LoL nanoweave!" and enters his tank instantly.
    - I often target combat medics to stop them from ressing their teammates. Now I get "BING" and the combat medic goes: "LoL nanoweave!" takes cover, heals up and happily continues his ressing from a corner, where he know knows you can't snipe him.
    - I often have to save my hide by shooting a heavy assault in the face from medium range, when he spotted me and starts firing his LMG in my direction. While bullets fly around my head, I manage to desperately get the headshot in, it takes alot of skill to pull this off, and I often saved myself this way, but now I get "BING" and the Heavy assault goes: "LoL nanoweave!" and shoots me dead.

The entire concept of nanoweave the way it is now, is a down right insult to the Infiltrator player. (like me) who invested alot of time and practice, and in my case MONEY, to get the maximum possible effect out of this class, and here we are myself being asked if I can't play another class during peak hours, because I'm not making much of a diffrence anyway with all those high BR players around.

Furthermore: You really can't compare mines with sniperrifles. Mines do not require aiming, mines do not require skill to use, mines not killing a target rarely has a large effect on the overall battle, unless a sunderer happens to drive over it. A sniper that can aim, knows what to shoot, and where to position himself DOES have an effect on the overall battle, eventhough, now with Nanoweave stopping OHK from rank 3 and upward, far less than I think we deserve to be.
    • Up x 4