Binoculars

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by DomUniqu3, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DomUniqu3

I like flying up towers and awkward to get places with the LA, but find when I get to the top can't see much due to render distance.

Just a suggestion, maybe the LA could do with some binoculars to see whats going on in the bases around or to let squads know whats incoming etc.
  2. Blackpython

Isn't that one of the infiltrator's jobs? Not fly, but performing recon?
  3. Rasttlin

This is brilliant. Think real warfare here fellas. Scout snipers (infiltrators) and elite units like seals, recon, delta (Light Assault) often act as spotters for airstrikes, mortars and artillery. There could even be an ability to target indirect fire weapons from yet-to-be-released HA or Engineer weapons or vehicles. I'd especially like to see a tie in between future Engineer indirect fire weapons and LA binoculars.
    • Up x 1
  4. DomUniqu3

The infil can't get in positions on top of towers etc to quickly see whats going on though. Just a suggestion anyway
  5. Iridar51

Nice idea, i've been also thinking about this, but I don't think we should take this bread from infiltrators.
    Perhaps, not LA, but every class should have access to binoculars? Somewhere in command certs, for example?
    Nah, it would probably screw opposing team infiltrators too much.
  6. Compass

Give it to a squad leader.
  7. Iridar51

Playing a squad leader should not be compelling because of the personal convenience.
    Some people will want to be sqad leaders just because of the ability to use binoculars, this is screwed up.

On a side note, though, are only squad leaders authorised to plase sqaud deploy beacons? If that's true, then it's already kinda screwed up :)
  8. YouObviouslyLikeOwls

Well, here's an idea, don't detract from Inf's. Give LA and Inf's the binoculars. Add it to our Utility choices, hmm med pack or C-4 or Binoc's? I could make an argument for and against each of the choices.
  9. Iridar51

Why would infiltrator;'s want to have binoculats? I haven't played them much, but their default sniper rifle's scope seems to provide adequate magnification.
    Utility slot... I don't know, if I would be foreseeing long range combat/recon I would choose a weapon with 3.4x or higher scope anyway.
  10. YouObviouslyLikeOwls

scope is great for seeing but only the binoculars could aid in indirect fire. Hence why it would be in a utility slot and not just an ability all classes get.
  11. Iridar51

Hm, perhaps not a binoculars per se, but something like marking gun?
    Places a beacon on a target, and that target shows up on allies' radars even if target is out of line of sight?
    I don't know, seems not particulalry useful.
  12. YouObviouslyLikeOwls

a way to "spot" enemies without calling out? Yeah, that could work.
  13. Swiftstrike

I'd hope they'd fix the render distance instead.

I think it'd be cool to see an enhanced sabotage ability on points after you capture them, since LA is usually the first one on the point. If an enemy attempted to capture the point, it'd explode (damage/kill a possibility) and an engineer would have to come and spend 60 or so seconds repairing the point before it could be captured again. This would allow the LA more leniency when capturing/defending a point. They could even do something similar with generators.
  14. Iridar51

I hear LA's have that C4 thingy. I hear it explodes and kills people.
    LA can swoop into room, start capturing the point, leave a C4 charge on a cap point and wait. If he sees overwhelming enemy force coming he may leave through use of jetpack, wait untill enemies approach to cap point and detonate the C4. Bang, lots of dead people. And kittens. C4 kills kittens too.

Same with generators. Overload a generator, hide, detonate when you hear footsteps.
    I wonder how far you can run from deployed C4, it may be possible to destroy a generator and leave a c4 charge on it's remains. Then go somewhere else, and detonate the C4 when blinking generator sign on minimap will tell you generator is being repaired. Voila - dead engineer. And a kitten.

Added: damn, now i'm drooling over that I haven't yet unlocked C4 and can't do all this awesome things. Well, at least I'm not killing kittens I guess...
  15. YouObviouslyLikeOwls

I am so making an engineer named "Kittens".
    • Up x 1
  16. Iridar51

I envy you so hard...
  17. Swiftstrike

Your sarcastic response clearly indicates you missed the point of this ability, to delay/harass. C4 won't do anything more than stop the next person from running in and capturing the point (if that at all with the large capture range), but being able to temporarily destroy/disable the point would help defend against larger forces until help arrives or help counter enemies that camping on one point due to influence bonus. It actually feels like you helped in the battle rather than capturing a point, killing someone, getting killed, then point is recapped by enemies within 5-6 seconds. If I fend off 2-3 people and manage to cap a point as a LA, it should have more impact on the battle than it does currently.

I hate to break it to you, since you're looking forward to unlocking C4 so much. It's not worth it for those things you mentioned. It's expensive and, as a result, it's not worth it to kill 1 enemy, especially when there's 2-3 people following that can easily cap the point, revive their teammate, and then blast your face away with superior weaponry. The only thing C4 is actually good for at the moment is hitting large groups of people trying to zerg a base.
  18. ytman

A squad/platoon type GLTD is must have for this game. Would be too awesome to have a ground group laser point to a target that a A2G ESF /Lib could perform a precision strike on. Anyone who has played the Project Reality Mod and witnessed a Laser Guided Bomb dropped from a A10 Warthog on that enemy tank formation in the hills of the Kashan Desert... man Devs you must do this!

Though I think it's more fitting for the Infiltrator to get this.
  19. DomUniqu3

Well I was actually thinking, when capping points sometimes there isn't much to do, so I like to use my jump jets to get to the top of the cap towers and from there you can see the surrounding bases... But you can't see whats going on, so rather than purchasing a Scythe and flying to the surrounding facilities to see if there is an enemy zerg close-by just use binoculars.
  20. wwwyzzerrdd

as someone whos always sniping, im pretty sure magnification doesnt help you to render enemies from afar, you can either see them or you cant. so its kind of a moot point