Binoculars would be nice

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Titanshells, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Titanshells

I think binoculars would be a nice and simple addition to the infiltrator class. Since not all infiltrators use sniper rifles to see far away as well as cloaker's like me can't use primary's anyways. I just think it be a nice addition to the class or game itself, like built in zoom.
    • Up x 1
  2. Who Garou

Could be a default replacement for the Infiltrator primary when wearing the Stalker Cloak (I think that is the right one, I always sget them mixed up since I use load-out as set-and-forget) so I don't have to see that stupid error about not being able to toggle to my primary.

Works the same as a weapon, but it doesn't fire. When you hit aim it raises up so you can see through with the zoom.

So to make this happen, money or CERTs needs to be spent.

So the Binoculars have basic no-zoom until you buy "scopes" to increase the zoom, and you can only take one "scope" with you in fields. So you have to spend CERTs or Daybreak Bucks to actually use the Binoculars, but it also stops that error message from popping up when you are an Infiltrator by default.

And, of course, I would prefer that it didn't shake when I'm looking through the binoculars with the x14 (or more) zoom.
    • Up x 6
  3. Navron

This is a phenomenal idea.
    • Up x 1
  4. Khallixtus

Binoculars in general are an amazing idea. This could work on all classes, seeing as they can't see very far due to their lack of good scopes. Provided they increased render distance as well (possibly a graphics option as some PCs might not be able to handle that much rendering) this could actually have a large impact on being able to set up defense before a zerg/armour column/ air swarm arrive.

This would just be so satisfying to have in the game. Keeping it to infiltrators will give them another team tool so they can work in organised platoons, sharing it will shore up some weaknesses in other classes. Any way you put it, binoculars would be fun and very satisfying.
    • Up x 1
  5. JojoTheSlayer

Your character gets a nerf when you use the Stalker cloak... Which is you can NOT use your primary SLOT.
    What is in the slot doesnt matter in my view. If you want binos you would have to sacrifice something else you have, not just "get it for free just because". Because that is what you are asking.
  6. Navron

Except that the whole purpose behind not having the primary slot is so that you don't have access to any weapons in that slot. And that, in turn, is because there are ONLY weapons available for the primary slot. All these binoculars would do is zoom your camera in. As a Stalker Cloaker, this ability would probably go unused because there's no reason to zoom up close when hiding on any given spot. And anything that is worth zooming in on would mean that the Stalker Cloaker probably could not do much other than just get Spotting ribbons anyway.

There is no major advantage given by this idea and should not require any further "sacrifice".
    • Up x 1
  7. Leivve

I would be ok with them putting them in the recon slot and it lets you spot enemies that you focus on for a second. So you can spot whole armies easily and your character doesn't call out what they're spotting. The spots don't last as long as a Q spot though, so you'll still need to mark targets of priority for your team.
  8. MisterSlim

Now now, we both know that cloakers aren't allowed to get something fun or useful without playing to the community's double-standard and taking a nerf hammer to the back of the head xP.

-Stay Frosty
  9. JojoTheSlayer

In a client side environment. Cloakers are already a very very powerful class.
    For anyone, being a cloaker offsets any client side benefit another person might have and give it to you.
    This becomes VERY obvious when you are in smaller fights with cloakers that know what they are doing. They are practically impossible to beat because your character moves to slow in order to dodge their aim and so on and they can engage when they want to.

Actually there is. And its why a bring a 6x scoop on my Crossbow even if I dont use it to snipe.
  10. Navron

So......what is it?
  11. JojoTheSlayer

Thats a pretty silly question. If you dont get what the benefit of optics are in general.
    How can you at the same time claim its a "brilliant" idea to add...

When you put optics up to your eye. Things far away, becomes bigger and it becomes easier to see what the little men on the other side of the hill are actually doing or facing. Maybe you even spot the shimmer of a moving cloaker you didnt know was there and would shoot you in the head when you got close enough to stab the sniper.
  12. Navron

You didn't specify what the "major advantage" is. Are you saying that there's a huge difference in having optics as a primary versus having an optic scope on your secondary?
  13. JojoTheSlayer

Maybe not to you, because you seemingly need to be spoon fed information. I really dont care.
    This simplistic rhetorical tactic of asking idiotic questions and then claiming they were not responded to is a waste of my time.
    If you dont get it, then to bad for YOU.
  14. Navron

You're not making any sense so I'm trying to understand your logic. What you're literally saying is that (using 6x as an example), having a 6x scope bino for a primary with no weapon is advantageous over having a 6x scope on a weapon. But there's no difference whatsoever. NONE. Even if you say something like "You can have a different scope on your secondary", there is still no major impact or advantage. At all.
  15. MisterSlim

I didn't say that we aren't a powerful class. But I will go ahead and poke a tiny hole in your "clientside benefit negation" remark. True that we can pick our engagement times, we also have to deal with serverside issues revolving around our cloak. God knows how many times I line up a headshot, press "F", then fail to decloak when I expected to.

In addition, the fact that we can 'choose engagement times', which is our class-specific ability, (in my opinion) doesn't justify the instant cry of "They need to have extra nerfs that none of the other classes have, just because they have a more generally disliked tool set".

Also, gonna have to back Navron on this one. I've seen him around for a good long time, and I'd be willing to vouch for his credibility.

-Stay Frosty
  16. JojoTheSlayer

S
    No, its NOT, because its client side.
    LoL, you decloak on your end. If you didnt, you didnt hit the correct button! You dont ask the server to be "allowed" to decloak.

Saying you have to leave something behind if you want to bring X instead is not asking for a nerf.
    A nerf is when you want to scale down PREEXISTING capabilities. Tbh, I can understand why you take Navron side of "logical" thinking.
  17. doomedking517

I'm pretty certain that cloaking requires someform of server side verifcation... namely because of one major issue (I cant say for certain but y'know) and that issue is this, if it was client side players who have high ping etc. (or against foes with high ping) would be able to decloak and shoot their target before they even decloaked on their targets screen and wouldnt be cloaked on their foes screens when they looked it on their own. (or it may be low ping... im not sure), or shots that we fire would just not be registered because the server would say "youre still cloaked" or you woul shoot later than planned anyway, leaving us open to foes who either have high or low ping (im not sure, i think its low ping for this one), i believe the server has to register your cloaking before it occurs...
  18. MisterSlim

You're entirely right!

Incorrect. It's not 100% clientside, play awhile with a high ping and you'll see what I mean. Before they fixed up my dorm building's connection speed, I would be stuck at pings ranging anywhere from 250ms to 800ms (these were dark days indeed). As ping time increased, there was a directly related increase in the amount of time it took to both cloak and decloak. Even during regular server lag, the amount of time it takes to cloak and decloak greatly increases. I think it's a pretty hugely accepted thing that cloaking isn't clinetside. (Do you even fact, sir?)

Leaving something behind to bring X instead is completely unnecessary in this instance, because X doesn't make enough difference to need to leave something behind. If you have your wallet in your pocket, and I ask you to carry a grain of sand in that same pocket, I highly doubt you'd take your wallet out to make room for the sand. It just isn't necessary, as the sand doesn't take up enough space to justify leaving behind your wallet.

And for the record, I know how to press "F" ;)

-Stay Frosty
  19. JojoTheSlayer

Alright, looking it up in detail. Yes, both HA shield and Cloakers cloak are "hand shake" based with the server.
    Which is good, otherwise it could be gamed by high pingers, but its still only an issue with extreme ping. And arguing that is an issue is like saying you should be able to shoot someone 1-2 seconds before they should be able to shoot back.

Lastly, optics are a benefit. The "sand" analogy is not comparable in any way.
    If it was that useless, this thread wouldnt even have been created.
  20. MisterSlim

I'm not saying the 'cloak lag' is normally an enormous issue, only saying that it throws an extra variable into our 'engagement time choice', which can't be ignored. I don't at all think that I should be able to shoot someone 1-2 seconds before they shoot back, but I won't pretend that I don't wish the server 'handshake' were a bit more reliable at times.

True that optics are a benefit, but not enough of a benefit (in my opinion) to warrant further restrictions. Even if there were a cooldown on the number of times you could q-spot whilst using them in order to justify it, I think it should be allowed to be usable in the primary slot by stalkers. I agree with Navron, in that the reason your primary slot is restricted is because we only have weapons to put in it. Rather than restrict weapons, they restricted a slot (makes sense, why place a padlock on every one of your cabinets, when you could lock the door to the room?). If there is a non-weapon that can go in it, whilst not providing anything that provides a balance-changing element, I think it should be allowed to be used in addition to the already-existing arsenal.

Binos would be of almost no individual use for a stalker, and would be used almost entirely for relaying information to squadmates. I hardly see this as game breaking, as they could just use a 6x on their crossbows to get the same effect. The only real gain is, "Now you can look at things without aiming your crossbow at things you know are too far away to kill".

-Stay Frosty