Better defenses

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Newlife1025, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Newlife1025

Ever notice how hard it can be to leave the spawn room, and wish there was a way out rather than the place that's currently being spawn trapped. I honestly wish that most bases bad more than one way out. Also, do the devs even look in the forums?
  2. Campagne

In my opinion spawn rooms should be bubbles. Just slap a floor down with a terminal and spawn tube and throw a rounded bubble shield over top and you're good to go.

Either that, or have greater visibility from spawn rooms so that players just don't get locked in.
  3. ColonelChingles

Maybe try counterattacking from the next base over?

If the enemy has you outnumbered and outgunned around your spawns, then that's probably a sign that you shouldn't use those doors. Instead, spawn at the next base and hit the enemy in the back while they're busy camping.
    • Up x 3
  4. Demigan

Spawns should have gained ways to exit without being too easy to predict. For example by allowing players to drop-pod on parts of the region you are in.
    Also alternative spawnpoints made by players, but arent a Sunderer. That way the defenders stand a chance putting down alternative places to attack from rather than being spawnroom bound.
  5. MonnyMoony

Bases are pretty badly designed and do appear to favour attackers in a lot of cases (surely the opposite of what a base should be).

Too few routes out of spawn - and those that do exist are often out in the open and overlooked - so can be spammed with heat from an elevated position or by lolpod wielding ESFs

Where spawn teleporters do exist - they are often very close to the original spawn room - negating the very point of them. There are also too few of them. For larger bases, there should be multiple ways out of spawn (tunnels, teleporters etc) that lead to points all over the base.

Spawn rooms can be miles away from the capture point - making defending a very unrewarding relay race. Do a half marathon from the spawn room - get killed - do another half marathon - get killed......repeat.

There are too few equipment terminals - meaning that once you are out in the fight trying to defend the base - it can be a long trek back to spawn if you need to re-equip or change role (tech plants are one of the worst for this - don't know why the devs removed the terminals in the main tech plant building).

Where turrets do exist - they are often badly placed, behind trees etc and often dont cover the approach routes properly. They are also far too squishy and far too easy to spam with heat - preventing repair.

Walls don't have routes up them for non-LA classes. Walls should be scaleable with steps on the inside to give all classes of defenders a high vantage point from which to defend - but as they stand they seem designed to hem the defenders in and create a kill box.
  6. Hegeteus

There are a few bases which could really use a teleporter room
    • Up x 1
  7. Pikachu

If the enemy has pushed through the defense line and then past the capture point what does it matter to have more spawn locations? They are stronger than you (they have the numbers), so wherever you go they will still shoot you easily.
  8. Demigan

Because if you push your enemies and destroy their Sunderer they arent necessarily defeated. And with correct spawn exits the defenders have an actual chance of fighting back. Being spawncamped isnt necessarily a sign that your team is outpopped or inferior somehow, its just a sign you've been pushed back as far as you can... The consequence of the current spawnroom design means that you are incapable of retaliating. But we dont have to keep it that way. Just the ability to get out and stage an attack without being forced through the chokepoints that the spawnroom exits represent would go a looong way.
    • Up x 1
  9. DonVito70

I always felt that the anti infantry base turrets were a bit underwhelming and poorly placed.

I also agree with Chingles that people need to learn to fall back to another base and dig in. Knowing what caused the defeat in the 1st base can give you a fighting chance in the second one with a chance for a counter attack.
  10. LaughingDead

^^^

I don't see why people think they should win from spawn, a spawn lock is a punish of the defending team of being unable to hold a defensive line, it should be punished. When an attacking them blitzes the base, flips the point and sets up a perimeter defense then that team should be rewarded.
    Again, punish of not having a defensive line, it doesn't mean you did bad that it broke, it just means you need to strategically break their defense now and not have it be handed to you with the ability to spawn anywhere in a base, it's not like they didn't go through the very same chokes you try to get through. Plus, destructable spawns is a major part of winning a base, any medic will tell you that you can't get everyone, spawns fill the gap inbetween medics, which makes them invaluable for large bases where they are spammed to hell and back, making it important for vehicles to destroy, since they're generally put out of a fight 90% of the time, might as well give them something important to do.

That's because they're anti-infantry turrets :p
  11. Newlife1025

How do you exactly do that? Whenever i try to sneak a sundy back, i either run out of time, or come across a patrolling harasser.
  12. LaughingDead

With a tank not a sundi.
    You also have 4 minutes on the cap to determine what you should do, learning how to read how the battle will go is an important part of decision making what you should do. If you feel that the enemy team could potentially spawnlock you, you pull something to start killing sundis.
  13. Newlife1025

Sadly that never works out well for me. I've tried using lightnings and is a no no. They die so quickly and easily. Also, the defenders tend to come in with armor of their own, and lots. Ive found ways to combat this, but with an overwhelming force, i find it impossible. My methods are usually harassers, suicide flash, waste a lightning to later c4, av mana turrt sniping (although the time to shoot is annoying), the regular c4 rocklet, and the tank mine manual detonation. I don't know if its my skill that's bad, or my teammates... NC on geudine can act a bit dumb and clueless sometimes... like shooting sniper rifles at tanks
  14. LaughingDead

Well that means several things:
    1. A lot of their pop isn't actually in the base itself fighting, meaning the more you force combatants to fight you, the more you pull away from the rest of your team.
    2. If there is more than one armor support, you take your engagement routes, weigh the risks and rewards of each route and pick the best approach in order to kill the defending armor.
    3. Yes, NC can be incredibly stupid, sorry.

That's kinda why tank players are annoyed with a lot of the vehicle nerfs and infantry AV never getting a nerf in turn (except turrets, thank god. 500 guided rocket distance that you could neither avoid or see is fun....), most of the time, you either need to grab AP for just killing the armor, or you need HE to help mitigate the infantry while you hit the sundi.

People will hate you for it but frankly I don't feel like one needs to be fair in terms of being strategic.
  15. Newlife1025

Alright. I've been trying to be more creative in my attacks, so i guess this can be an addition
  16. LaughingDead

Grab some tank advice from a professional tanker. also helps to get input
  17. Newlife1025

Tanking isint really my style of play. I can't keep one alive long enough in big fights and even 1v1. The cost and reward don't really fit me. Id rather pull c4 faries, and harassers. Cheaper and if i can get behind them, easier kills
  18. Klabauter8

They should just allow player construction being build right in a base.

I honestly think this would make the game more interesting.

Although it probably would just get abused by players like building a wall right in front of a vehicle spawn or some crap.
  19. Demigan

The punishment for not having a defensive line is having a mere 3 minutes or so to recapture all the points, despite all the points being designed specifically for defense. Which is counter-intuitive since the defenders spend the least time defending the points, and the most time defending parts of the base to try and reach enemy Sunderers to blow them up.
    This means the defenders need to go through way more chokepoints than the attackers. The attackers rarely have to go through the chokepoints that defend the points. The attackers never ever have to go through the chokepoints that are the Spawnroom exits. So the attackers have an easier time. The additional chokepoints of the spawnroom is simply bad design. The defenders already have less advantages than the attackers, no need to add another.

And what's the use of having a spawn to revive the people your medics can't get if you are locked in the spawn and it's impossible to get out unless with 3 to 1 overpop? And even with 3 to 1 overpop it can be a stretch?
    Also you seem to think that the only way to spawncamp is with vehicles. While most of the spawncamping is done by the infantry, which can be supported by tanks.
  20. Liewec123

i've often said there should be invulnerability in the spawn room which stays for 3 seconds after leaving,
    3 seconds might not seem like much, but it'd clear a large area around the spawn room, rather than simply allowing people to surround the spawn room and mindlessly shoot at the exits.
    • Up x 1