Betelgeuse 54-A is OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mekk_TR, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JibbaJabba

haha, yeah 200 ping boy/girl/forget his other one... He's an outstanding player. Still in Recursion I think but usually plays Emerald, not Connery (where Recursion moved). Yes does indeed have a crappy ping. If you were really good you would know how to use that against him. He's a good player so he's definitely using it against you!

I usually see him running MSW-R, Anchor, Sometimes Betelgeuse. But really any weapon he uses is going to seem overpowered to a new player facing him.
  2. Mekk_TR

i agree with you that those guys are good... but why ?? that is the BIG question............Because they use a OP weapon
    Give me the same weapom with same ping....i will kill them all.

is that clear in your head ?
  3. Trebb

By itself, the stats aren't really OP compared to other guns. But the heat mechanic / unlimited ammo means it is a farmer's tool of choice. You never have to take your eyes off that door to reload. Ever. HUGE advantage. So there's a reason my VS death screen usually has two of these each time.

But I'm all about faction flavor, so not sure how to balance it.
  4. Rydenan

Strictly speaking, the Betelgeuse is still overperforming, with a staggering 300% higher average KPH than the GODSAW and Butcher.

Make of that what you will.
  5. JibbaJabba

Ok first, careful with the attitude. You're just piling on crow that you'll need to eat.

You would NOT kill them with the same weapon with the same ping. The reason they are beating you is because they are better than you. You are under the impression that the Betelgeuse is overpowered. It is not. It is SIMPLY AN ORION with no attachments. For a given 1v1 engagement it is slightly LESS powerful than the Orion as it has a smaller "clip" size.

The high KDR players use it for a reason that is of no consequence to lower KDR players. Low KDR players run out of life before they run out of ammo. High KDR players have the opposite problem and this is the main reason the Betelgeuse is chosen over the Orion. The high KDR players are deliberately choosing a LESS powerful weapon to make this tradeoff.

They do not use the Betelgeuse because it makes them high KDR. They are high KDR so they use the Betelgeuse. You have your causality reversed.
    • Up x 1
  6. Campagne

This isn't necessarily the case. In short range a player with a SAW could be more skilled and still lose to an Orion/Betelgeuse as long as neither had perfect accuracy. Weapons absolutely matter as well as skill, and the O/BG isn't exactly a skill-demanding weapon.

Secondly the only difference between the Orion and Betelgeuse is the rail attachment: Grip/laser in exchange for the heat mechanic and vice versa. The two have identical stats down to the wire, including magazine size. The Betelgeuse isn't worse, it's simply different.

Don't get me wrong here either, I'm not saying the Orion or Betelgeuse are overpowered. I'm only saying the two are great, powerful weapons capable of doing well on their own. There's no reason for everyone to jerk each other off here like they were dominating enemies with Emissaries or Ectoblasters.
  7. JibbaJabba

Mm, no Betelgeuse has a smaller clip (about 2 bullets) and a worse hipfire due to the lack of attachments. In a given 1v1 engagement it is inferior to the Orion.

In a 1 to many engagement it pulls ahead of the Orion though. I think we're generally on the same page here though. The OP is not.

To the OP: you gotta let go of the idea that the Betelgeuse is OP. It's not. It's you. Once you let go of the bad idea, you can move on towards getting better. My Tip: The Betelgeuse most effective range overlaps with two weapons that are superior to it: Anchor and MSW-R. Try one of those. The Godsaw will mop the floor with the Betelgeuse at range, but fewer encounters occur there so if you're running it constantly it may have frequent bad outcomes.
  8. Campagne

From what I can tell this is just a myth. According to both the PS2 Wiki and Iridar the magazine is effectively 50 if fired from nothing to max heat.

Sources:
    https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Betelgeuse_54-A
    http://iridar.net/planetside2/weapons/lmgs/#Betelgeuse_54-A

Hipfire wise an Orion will have worse hipfire with a grip than it would with a laser or worse recoil than it would with a laser than it would with a grip. I maintain the only real difference it the rail attachment.

Yes, I think so.
    • Up x 1
  9. FOC-SpikE

The Betelgeuse is maybe a good weapon, just as good as a stock gun from NC or TR :p
    Ok, i guess thats not enough, so take a closer look.

The most players i talked to on whatever server who play all factions, they all say the same. NC weapons are best close range, TR weapons are best on close to long range..and VS weapons...well, get used to them and u may have a good fight, but prepare to die alot to capture a base.

Thats all that needs to be said to "Betelguese is OP"
  10. WinterAero

Beetle juice is pretty garbage honestly. Aurax'd it and binned it. I'd never put it in the category of the MSWR or some other 'get gud' farmer wep of choice. Just because people think that not having to bother your butt to reload is the best thing since sliced bread, isn't going to stop you getting dunked by doktorpsycho or some other dude who never logs out of the game lol.

This weapon seems to have more power in its meme legend than on the battlefield. Ofcourse people use it. they spent an age farming other weapons to unlock it. It's hardly good, the lack of attachments blows and if it was a starter weapon with the prorion as the achievement I think people would be chuffed to finally get some damn versatility tbh.
    • Up x 3
  11. Rydenan

The Anchor is in a bad spot right now, since the changes to HA overshields. It now has an inferior TTK in all scenarios (Headshots, bodyshots, and mixed), since the change in effective heath requires the Anchor to overkill by a lot, while the 750/143 guns divide into the health pool with almost no wasted damage.

The MSWr is great, but it isn't objectively better than the Betelgeuse. Ignoring the actual performance stats (Betelgeuse crushes MSWr), the guns are very similar. They share the same damage model, but MSWr gets soft-point ammo and a forward grip, both of which are very good. The Betelgeuse, however, has 20% less cone of fire bloom than the MSWr (same starting CoF values between the two), which is a huge advantage in terms accuracy. The Betelgeuse has 2 fewer rounds per mag than the MSWr, but reloads continuously, and never is in a state where it can't fire (unless you overheat it), which can be a huge advantage as well.

Lack of attachments is the biggest blow to BG, which is the case for all aurax weapons. It's why I've barely touched the GODSAW, but love the SAW.
  12. JibbaJabba

I'm afraid I don't follow on the Anchor. It's still a triple-dink headshot out to 15m with SPA and nobody gets their shields up in that time unless they already had them up.

The MSW-R IMO is the best 1v1 LMG in the game right now. If going into say a duel on Jaeger or something I would never choose the Orion (Betelgeuse not avail) or Anchor over the MSW-R. Out on live in some 96+ though?, yeah Betelgeuse all day.

I think the GodSaw takes the cake for the most improved Aurax gun of the three though. The clip size + reload time adjustment over the standard GaussSaw smartly addresses a huge weakness in the original. I still use the Orion sometimes, but I don't think I ever touch my GaussSaw loadouts now that I have the Godsaw.

I'll say this also about the Betelgeuse. There are few things in this game that will make you pucker up faster than accidentally overheating that thing. Oh boy. The *click* sound is deafening if you do it on accident. :p
    • Up x 1
  13. Rydenan

It's very rare for even a good player to kill a Heavy before they have time to put their overshield up. HA mains are wired to mash F as soon as they get a hit indicator.

That's fine, but there is little that actually makes the MSW-r numerically superior. It has SPA, but Orion is more accurate after the first 5 bullets. Significantly so for longer bursts (MSWr has 25% faster cone of fire bloom than Orion). Other than that, the two are identical in almost every way. Orion has slightly more vertical recoil, but MSWr has a higher first-shot recoil multiplier. Both have identical horizontal recoil, except that Orion's is uniform, whereas MSWr's is biased.

I disagree. GODSAW is actually no more efficient in terms of reload time per bullet than the SAW. Both reload 15.3 bullets per second (short reload) and 13 bullets per second (long reload). The GODSAW, however, has far less kill potential per magazine. Both reloads are still slow enough that you need to be seriously safe to perform them. But the GODSAW doesn't give you as much leeway to get to that safe space, with its smaller magazine.
    The SAW has better horizontal recoil than the GODSAW (by 16%!) with the forward grip attached.
    The SAW can also be silenced, which is especially huge now that silencers don't affect maximum damage range and only reduce velocity by 15%.
    The GODSAW has 20 meters extra min. damage range, but that effect can be had with HVA on the SAW, albeit with a 2m reduction in maximum damage range.
    The flexibility on the OG SAW, combined with the massive DPM, makes it an easy choice for me over the GODSAW.
    • Up x 1
  14. JibbaJabba

I do have a silenced GaussSaw loadout but it's not used much.
    I don't miss the forward grip at all.
    The extra damage range from the godsaw isn't really a factor for me either. It's still triple dink at any range and an extra bullet for body shots in some 20 meter band way out at long range just doesn't get noticed.

The thing I notice most is that clip vs reload. There are enough bullets in a Godsaw clip to get me through several kills. If I need to chain more kills than that, I'll need to get better as a player. The downtime from the Gausssaw reload though is horrific. If it's not the worst in the whole game it's close. Having that reload be faster is a much better configuration than the longer clip sizes. How many bullets I put in per reload just isn't a metric I care about. How long I'm helpless without a gun is.