Best Vanu LMG?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by TJUK7337, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Veri

High Velocity Ammo is a great help.
    Even though it doesn't increase DPS, it means your bullets get to the target faster.
    Add compensator, forward grip and a X2 Reflex sight.
  2. GANGSTA

Flare user here also

Extended mags ( 150 rds) 1x optic and High velocity Ammo and it's a killing machine for me, medium and long distance.

Others stop to reload and I am still hammering away at them. I have tried the others but the flare fits my style best it seems. I am an aggressive HA I move constantly and push the objective so I love the 175 rds as I don't need to reload and can push push push.
  3. Mekhazzio

The Ursa trades off hipfire performance for better handling and range performance, compared to the Flare. Since you've always got the Orion for all your hipfiring needs, that makes the Ursa pretty much a straight upgrade, in my book.
  4. Lexicon

^ Agreed. I've said it here many times before; the ursa is the most underrated gun in the game, it's so easy to control and deadly at mid-long. It's pretty much the TMG-50 with the added benefit of an extra magazine, for reasons unknown...
  5. Prince Planet

Can we please analyse the Flare vs Ursa more?

The way I look at the stats the Ursa has worse or equal cone of fire across all ranges. It has .5 less overall recoil. Faster projectile speed and reload times don't factor into accuracy.

So what you're saying is a lower recoil is better than worse cone of fire?
  6. Aquilae

it has less recoil and less first shot recoil multiplier, which means alot more controllable when firing in bursts at range. reload speed may not factor into accuracy, but projectile velocity certainly does, and the flare is the slowest lmg we have versus ursa the fastest.

i does have a worse CoF, by 0.05 while ads and moving. all of our lmgs are .35 or .4 for the ads while moving.

it doesn't have good hipfire, but it's not for that.
  7. Mekhazzio

The front page of the usual spreadsheet everyone uses is hampered by its creator's desire to fit everything on one screen, so it's leaving out some fairly important stats. The big one is horizontal recoil, which is -the- major differentiation between some weapons in a similar class. In this case, we have:

Ursa: horizontal recoil 0.1875, horiz. recoil tolerance: 0.5
    Flare: horizontal recoil 0.2, horiz. recoil tolerance: 0.75

So not only does the Flare have higher vertical recoil all the time, and much higher recoil on the first shot - which is a big deal since long-range shooting is typically a series of short bursts - but it also has more kick side to side and a larger tolerance, whose effects are unknown but suspected to be the amount of total deviation from base aimpoint before the gun is forced to kick back towards center.

So you can expect a comparable burst from both weapons to get a tighter grouping, on average, for the Ursa, than for the Flare, regardless of the length of the burst, regardless of user correction. The only time they're equal for accuracy is when firing strictly single shots, although the Flare's disadvantage is probably significantly reduced if you're looking at the case of firing while moving, due to its better base ADS-move COF.

Also, projectile velocity is absolutely a factor in accuracy, because the less time between your firing and the shot hitting is less time for the target's behavior to affect the outcome. It's easy to say "just add more lead", but even ignoring the simple refutation that more lead is also more room for error, it's entirely based around an assumption of targets running in a straight line...and I don't know about you, but I don't see that very often. :D
  8. Unblest

I have used the flare and the pulsar lsw.

My outfit all say the flare is a great weapon. And it is. You have three fire settings. Full auto, semi auto (3 rounds) and finally single shot. I am using the flare a lot, but I must say I prefer the Pulsar the most. For me it just feels good. Now it doesn't have the fire settings like the flare and it doesn't have some of the upgrades but I like it the most. I would use them both, but when you running around you don't have time to switch out layouts.

Use what feels the best.
  9. Blitzkrieg

Pulsar LSW

/thread
  10. Kedric

SVA-88 is widely recognized as the best all-around Vanu LMG. I would have to say the Orion is slightly better for pure CQC, but the SVA-88 is superior for medium and long ranges while still being pretty good in CQC.
  11. Rhinzual

So, with the changes to the 75 round LMGs all being the same and having a 300 ammo pool (Ursa, Flare, LSW, and SVA-88 for VS) does that make the arguments going around all moot at this point? If they are indeed all the same now, stats and attachments, wouldn't it be best to just use the LSW since it's the cheapest of the bunch?
  12. FnkyTwn

Actually I think a lot of people would disagree with that. The SVA-88 has its place,
    but the Pulsar LSW should probably be the default go-to Vanu weapon due to its
    versatility and lower and only one-direction recoil, as well as its super cheap price.

I have the SVA-88 and previously used it exclusively. It's a great gun, but its more
    difficult to control next to the Pulsar LSW. They have the same RoF and both have
    great bullet velocity. The Pulsar reloads quicker, while the SVA has the best ADS
    move speed you can get.

I got the SVA-88 with the Alpha Squad pack, but unless you got it for free i'd say
    it isn't a good deal, especially when you stand it against the Pulsar LSW for 100c.
    • Up x 3
  13. Bl4ckVoid

Pulsar LSW is the best

Advantages:
    - low recoil (lowest recoil of all VS LMGs - tested in game)
    - high ROF (only Orion is better)
    - fast reload speed (again only Orion is better)
    - 75 bullet clip - big enough in most situations
    - has 2x reflex - I just love this, with the accuracy, ROF and low recoil of Pulsar 1 vs 1 outside 20m is an almost sure win and I can effectively snipe up to 200m
    - has flash supressor (must have in my opinion, muzzle flash interferes with aiming, reveals you to enemies, while supressor ruins performance)

Ursa and Flare have low ROF, in CQC it is not good enough.Even at longer range, higher ROF is better than bigger bullet damage unless you single shot.
    SVA-88 : no flash supressor, huge problem esp. at night - if you are not bothered by muzzle flash, then it is a good gun, with the 0.75 ADS speed.
    Orion: small clip, no 2x reflex - if you are accurate enough, small clip is no problem though and 1x reflex should be OK, 2nd best gun in my view, and best gun for station fights if you can live with 50 ammo.

The firing modes on Flare you do not need, you can do it manually. HV ammo you do not need, it is already good enough on Pulsar. Soft point ammo is worthless.

Scopes: on an LMG you do not need better than 4x, and even that very rarely. LSW has it.

Test them on VR, you will find that Pulsar and Orion have the most easily managable recoil out of all of them. I have tried the Polaris in VR, I was not impressed, for 1000 certs I expected something that is better then the LSW, but I could not find any advantages.

A few tips to fight with the LMG (mostly applicable to any):
    - do not use very long bursts if it can be helped because cone of fire gets larger
    - laser sight: not needed in my opinion and makes you more visible
    - forward grip is must have both on Orion and LSW (less recoil to right)
    - use 2x reflex or 1x reflex, if you need better scope than you are doing it wrong (in rare cases I use 4x)
    • Up x 1
  14. Konfuzfanten

Pretty much this. A good analysis of the vanu LMGs.

One thing: if you perfer CQC fighting at 40 meters or less, then i would go with the HV/NV scope since it gives you are huge advantage.
  15. Corezer

I love the sva88 with hva and grip, I aim for the belly, cod crouchers get blasted in the face, standard stranders get it to the grill not long after due to the vertical recoil bringing it up so quick
  16. Lexicon

Just simply not true, and the SVA88 has higher ROF than Pulsar, too.
  17. SpaceCommie

No, I like it too; it's a beast in CQC. I went from Orion straight to Flare and used that for a long time. Then I figured I'd give the SVA-88 a whirl and I love it. I also swapped my Flare for an Ursa which I don't regret either.

Regarding the Lasher, did they give that a buff with the last update?
  18. Bl4ckVoid

Nope, both 698 RPM.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12
    Long range, it depends how you shoot. If you single-shot, higher dmg is better. If you shoot bursts better ROF is better - more bullets, more chance of hit, more chance of headshot.

SVA-88 has no flash supressor - it interferes with aiming (esp. at night) and you are more visible too. Supressor takes away most of the advantages the gun has.
  19. pnkdth

My conclusion, reading this thread, is that there is no such thing as the best VS LMG.

My case for the SVA-88 is ADS movement, low first shot recoil, highest recoil decrease, which translates into very accurate bursts. You can go full mag dump but I recommend long bursts when firing at medium range, even single shots are viable due to how quickly the weapon settles.

Also, with the nerf to ammo capacity, Orion feels more viable as the ammunition loss isn't that great anymore. In GU04 all our 75 round LMGs lost a clip(which hit us, the VS, the hardest since 4 of our LMGs have 75 bullet mags). So the Orion has 50/200 while the others have 75/225. You will still eat through your bullets with the Orion if you're not careful of course and the Orion lacks the accuracy of the LSW/SVA at mid/long ranges. The Polaris is pretty much a mix of the SVA/LSW with extra attachments(adv laser sight). The Polaris also have a high default bullet velocity which, in addition to everything else, makes it a very customizable and versitile weapon.

Not much to add about the Ursa/Flare. Always felt like inferior versions of NC weapons to me. I feel when picking VS I better play to the faction strengths and go for the close/mid range weapons(Orion, Polaris, SVA, LSW). I am certain some will disagree(I know Maggie will) but that's just how I play my HA.
  20. LonelyTerran

The orion is the best lmg in game.