Best Solo-ish Class

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ManyHats, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ManyHats

note: this is not a thread about the merits of k/d vs score-hour / soloing vs. platooning etc. Take that somewhere else.

For a mostly-solo, unplatooned, but usually fights near/with allies player, which infantry class do you feel can maintain the highest k/d, excepting max's/vehicles? [just too cheesy for me]. What would you say the 'expected' k/d's for an average to good player for each of the classes is?

I feel like heavy assault should be the answer, but I'm not sure it is...

Thoughts?
  2. Latrodectus

Light Assault and Infiltrator.
    • Up x 3
  3. dvizer

Light assualt. with extra ammo.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sen7rygun

Scissors, paper, rock.

You work as part of a cohesive team or you get owned. The best you can do as a "solo" (air quotes fully intended) player in this game is to hide in a zerg and use them as meat shields while you pad your KDR on enemy cannon fodder.

Even then you are not truly solo, you're still relying on other players to survive.
    • Up x 3
  5. TheFamilyGhost

I have to agree with Sentry Gun, but I think the OP is going a different way.

I used HA alot.
  6. Cloaking

Light assault and Medic are probably the best routes. Light assault allows for much more access to areas allowing you to get the jump and escape easier, plus getting kills is just easier in general with them.

Medic doesn't have to use any resto or med kits as you can keep healing yourself up (also handy for nearby teammates) This will allow you to live for longer (if you walk away from 1v1's etc, just heal up and move on)

I think this is a team game though, if everyone had the soloist mindset then this game wouldn't be anything like it is.
  7. Dragonblood

Since the last patch......get yourself a sniper and stop whole hostile groups to reach your base.
  8. zukhov

Your best bet for K/D scrubbing would be to change class according to what you are expecting to fight.

For example if the enemy already has loads of LA flying around they will probably pick you off easily if you go LA as well. If you go MAX and they have a lot of heavies then you will die etc. Just pick whatever they have the least defence against should work out fine.

I would guess a good average KDR for someone who just wants to keep it up would be 7 or 8 regardless of class. Of course to be regarded as good you also need to get some publicity - videos of your best bits, get in with another bunch of good players and big each other up on the forums and all that sort of thing.

This advice comes to you from someone with a KDR of 0.49, so not really my area of expertise. Just thinking of a fun way to do it, may not be the most efficient.
  9. Lewbio

I usually play as an engineer, dispensing ammo packs and trying to repair vehicles and maxes. For combat depends on what faction I am playing as. On NC I like using the warden or the AC-X11,
    Although I play TR more now, so Im usually carrying a Trac-5 with 4x scope, suppressor and forward grip unless I'm needing to shoot long distances then I'll break out the AMR 66 with a 6x on it
  10. Boildown

You can get a high K/D with a crappy score per hour if you really want to. For example, with an infiltrator sniping or generally running solo behind enemy lines. If you're also hacking terminals and turrets, overloading generators, and back-capping when they leave a point alone, then there's no reason to feel bad about the score per hour, as you're contributing to your team's success.
  11. FieldMarshall

Probably HA with maxed ammo and maxed medkits.
    Doesent have to rely on Medics for heals, or Engineers for ammo. Can take on Air and Vehicles and also has LMGs for infantry.
    Ofcourse you do eventually run out of heals and ammo if you survive that long.

Medic is also a good choice because of self heals and ARs.

I feel that LA is supposed to be the "solo" class but is sort of lacking. The only thing it has going is the jetpack.
    You have to carry carbines and dont have shields/ammopack/selfheal.
    Not all carbines are bad though. I love NC carbines, but hate them on TR. The Razor/ACX/GD7 are pretty good imo.
    And the Serpent/Pulsar C is nice if you are VS.
    If you are TR, the T5 tries to be a ACx but lacks both ROF and damage. And the Lynx tries to be a GD7/Serpent, but doesent have ROF.
    I dunno, i just dont like TR carbines. But some people think they are awesome.

Atleast if you are Engineer you have unlimited ammo, and can kill vehicles with the AV turret, and have mines.
    Maxed medkits on Engineer gives him alot of staying power on the battlefield. And i feel that unlimited ammo and the AV turret makes up for the fact that you have to use carbines.
    Engineer is also pretty good with the auto-shotgun. A big weakness of the auto-shotgun is its limited ammopool. But Engineer have unlimited ammo.

Infil is sort of meh. Strong but situational. Not a very good all-round solo class imo.

TLDR: Probably HA. Doesent rely on anyone, and can take on anything.
    Or Engineer
  12. EmmettLBrown

Engineer. There's always always something to do. If you find things to fix and the right ammo placement, you'll have an endless stream of xp coming in.
  13. Mordgier

A different game.
  14. Bibibla

Multiclass.

As a solo player, you have the freedom to adapt yourself to the situation very quickly (a squad is a bigger entity and it has higher "inertia".)

If you are spawncamped, take a sniper (or any marksman weapon) and headshots morons from behind the shield. If a friendly infantry zerg is slaughtered, play medic and revive them. If you see a friendly zerg running mindlessly from a base to another, spawn your sunderer. Also, as an engeneer, mind the base turrets, they can be really effective. If you are overwhelmed, quick suicide attacks with explosive are effectives, but may lower your favored stat : K/D.

Your K/D will artifically increase when there are medics around to revive you, and it can be low when you play medic, despite your SPM may be quite high. So as a HA, you'll probably have a K/D higher than a LA, only because you get revived. The game doesn't monitor your true K/D.

What you can't do is something that clearly require numbers, like hill camping with lock-ons / turrets, or fighting against a grouped squad.
    • Up x 1
  15. Archiadus

If you want to be somewhat safe while attacking pick LA, they're perfect for surprising enemies and getting the drop on the easily.

If you want to go full rambo pick HA with concussion grenades, chuck one into a room where you know that there's a lot of enemies and start raking in the kills :) ( It's also one of the easiest ways I know to kill a Max indoors )
  16. Axehilt

The implication with "solo-ish" is you're not going out trying to cap bases entirely alone. In that regard (and really every other regard except capping alone), MAXes are the best class.

Infiltrator is a fantastic skirmish class, and Light Assault slightly less so, but whether you want to merely be overpowered by being a one-man army or be especially overpowered as part of an organized squad, MAXes are still the best class.
  17. Baconite

I lone wolf all the time. My preferred style is "shoring up allied weak points." My typical day of play usually involves the following:

- Kept a rooftop clear of enemy Light Assaults C4-ing our Maxes by getting a scout rifle and 4x scope and watching it from a hill just outside the base. I'm too far away for them to retaliate, and I don't put myself in a position where other snipers can kill me.

- Pulled a lightning with HEAT, raced through the enemy lines and killed an AMS sunderer or two surrounding a base in a really close battle.

- Flew an ESF to safeguard allied air. I would attack and chase off enemy ESF's trying to finish off wounded allies trying to retreat and repair.

- Flank constantly as Light Assault. Being patient and picking off infantry (especially medics), or timing attacks to cause confusion right when my allies are making a push. (try grenade bandoliers, throw them into a cluster of people, and open fire on a bunch of wounded...it's quite satisfying!)

- Getting a Wraith Flash, riding out and around to the hills to clear off all the AV engineers/snipers, or just general harassment (2 nights ago I had a Vanguard chasing me for 5 minutes. 5 freaking minutes!)

The term "solo" is really a bit of a misnomer; for a lone wolf to be successful, you should be complimentary to the main force who is going to be doing the main push on an objective. Most outfits drop a waypoint and push for the objective; a lot of them expect everyone to move in that direction; deviating from the plan will make you culprit if the objective fails (e.g. "we could have taken the base, but X wasn't there to help! It's X's fault we lost!" As a solo player that doesn't take orders, you have a unique opportunity to recognize small but effective ways on how to make a difference.

It's a symbiotic relationship; your empire buddies are a huge shark and you're the remora, picking off scraps, cleaning up, and making as much of a difference as you can in little ways.

Light Assault and Infiltrator are the 2 best classes for going solo, as they let you get in and out of trouble the easiest. Medic, Engineer, and HA are good if you want to stay with a main force; HA and Engi can also dish out some well-timed damage if you can move into a position to do so. I don't play MAX. Wouldn't know anything about it.

TL;DR There's a lot of effective things a solo player can do that will likely never be seen by others.
  18. ironeddie

I enjoy soloing with my light assault. I run with a surpressor & thanks to the jet pack I can go anywhere. I often spend my time out of the main fight trying to find snipers & other stray enemies. It's also hilarious to c4 the odd tank here & there.
  19. Paperlamp

All classes it'll depend what you do. CQC will almost always give you a lower KD than sniping for example unless you're pretty bad at sniping. If I wanted absolute maximum KD, without using vehicles and not camping inside spawn rooms, I'd say get yourself a good bolt action and you're G2G. PS2 has plenty of easy targets in most big fights.

HA will give you the most leeway if you're running around indoors, a HA with an SMG or shotgun + conc nades can bust into rooms and deal a lot of damage while of course taking more due to the shield, and will generally have an advantage when you bump into another player in CQC since the shield is pretty significant at increasing their TTK.

SMG infil if you have a knack for smart cloak use and good sensor darts is also good for an indoor playstyle, being able to find targets on your map is a big advantage as long as it's not such a big fight your map just ends up a sea of red dots. You can also drop mines into groups of players although lately more people are running flak.

Then there's LA, which is good for mobility and similar to the infil relies on more ambushing, but using position/mobility advantage rather than cloak and sensors. You can also play a more mid range role shooting down at enemies from spots you're unlikely to be seen and have a cover advantage over players on the ground.

Medic isn't so great, ARs are great weapons yes, and healing adds a little extra survivability but you don't have the durability of a heavy or the tricks of the LA / infil for getting a combat advantage.

Engineer isn't great either, although turrets have some application and of course having infinite ammo lets you spam at more targets with less discretion.

The best way to maximize KD though, other than MAX/vehicles or only shooting out of spawn rooms, is to use whatever is most suited to the fight you're at. If there're lots of stationary targets at a distance you pull out a sniper rifle infil. If it's indoors with lots of players, heavy with a CQC weapon. A base with lots of vertical layers? LA to shoot down at targets perhaps. etc. etc.
    • Up x 1
  20. Idle

Hmm your question is which class is best for K/D solo or which class is best for solo play helping your faction?

I think its which gives the best K/D which I would suggest bolt action sniper. Find a stalemated fight and find cover and enjoy duck season while making sure you line up shot while stealthed and move between multiple shooting points or another sniper will get you.

If you want to help your faction your going to need to cert up your HA double C4 a must and smg inf. Defend bases when they are ghosted or a squad is capping, use smg inf to find AMS sundy then switch to HA avoid enemy run to sundy blow it up attack point kill Medics 1st and make sure to kill beacons, the lights shooting at the sky, like a massive lightsaber. They let squads spawn.

Switch back 2 smg inf and use your darts and mines to track down rest and recap. In major battles use your HA in air or tanks to rush enemy sundies and c4 them.

Once your Certed up you can also be a pain to platoon zergs by destroying terminals alone their attack path and killing as many sundies as you can and recapping point when they are spawn capping to give your faction time to get in front of the push.

Doing the second will not give you a good K/D until you get high rank but the other factions will notice you because it is so annoying for them.

Another suggestion is 2 just follow zergs as a HA when someone has 12 people shooting at them you have a 1 in 12 chance of getting shot at while padding your K/D. Your K/D will look ok but no 1 on the server will notice you while the 2nd way if done well makes you a name. and gets you noticed. (Many of the best outfits have players who are well know above their outfits because they have taken down squads solo.)