Best shotgun for slugs?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Leivve, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Leivve

I'm sure this will catch the eye of Iridar51, who enjoys forwarding people to his collage essay final of a guild.
    Already checked it bro.

I've run all of them through for about a hour so on the VR so I have a good feel for them all. So far I'm leaning toward he pump (specifically light pump since I like it's non-slug shot more then the heavy pump), but the highcapacity shotgun also has my eye. Full-auto is completely out of the question, it's recoil is WAY to high to be even considered.

VR can give you a feel, but it doesn't give you much battle experience. So I would like the voice of someone with actual experience to be standing on my shoulders and whispering in my ears. Also point out any attachments you feel are needed till it can preform the role I want it to (besides slugs smartasses).

What I'm looking for specifically:
    I want this to be a makeshift LA 'sniper'; though I say sniper I don't mean head shots, just longer effective range then the TR carbines. I will be using this if I find a nice perch only a LA can get to without a drop pod. The top of a radio tower for example, or on top of a vehicle resupply, ect.
    Since I will be behind enemy lines and you can't silence it, it needs to somewhat effective when I need to switch to plan B; Shoot stuff up only while closer then during plan A.
  2. Van Dax

I currently use the low capacity/fast reload shotgun with extended mag, If I had enough certs I'd definitely do high capacity plus laser. Be warned though you need a whole lot better aim than if you'd just use the amc instead.
  3. TheBloodEagle

Hmm, just don't pick the Haymaker since it has the lowest velocity (275 instead of 300 like the rest). Velocity will be important for your slug usage since unlike VS, you'll have big bullet drop.
  4. Iridar51

I can give other advices besides forwarding people to my guide =)
    Not sure that slugs will give you what you want. Without silencer you will be found and killed with a rocket or another LA.
    TBH, I think you'd be better of with T5 AMC with optional HVA and obligatory suppressor. That way you can sometimes literally run out of ammo before discovered, and it's a whole lot easier to use, too.

And I question the notion of slugs having more effective range than T5 AMC. If a player has some ranks in nanoweave it's gonna take 4 body shots with slugs to drop him, and slugs are difficult to aim due to recoil, slow projectile speed and bullet drop.
    I'm not sure that slugs were ever intended as a "sniper" option, with so much disadvantages at range, they seem to be more of a medium range solution.
    • Up x 1
  5. lilleAllan

I can't stand using slugs when not playing vanu... the drop is too crazy and the low velocity makes it so the enemy can easily juke you if don't kill him in the first shots. I have slugs for the sweeper (high capacity semi) but I never use it - I just go with the Razor instead.
  6. Snoozzzer

Any of the semi-auto shotguns.
  7. teks

full auto slugs. VS use only.
    Max scope.

You can snipe infils with it.
  8. rahulr1

Don't use a full auto because you'll end up using it in semi-auto. As for the rest of the semi-auto guns, they're all 3 hit kills with all shots on the chest and 4 hit kills if even one shot lands on the arms or legs. 5 shot kills don't exist. If you land one shot on the head you will always land a two shot kill regardless of where the second shot lands. The semi-auto guns are the best choice if you are jetting off to one high vantage point taking out a few people and jetting away to another point because the larger clip will be necessary to eliminate small groups. For this reason the high capacity shotgun is slightly more advisable than the regular semi-auto. If you intend to jump jet to a very hidden location, somewhere nobody will see you, somewhere where only a light assault can go and you intend to snipe people use a pump action. The stopping power is pretty much identical to a bolt action meaning it's two shot for a kill and one shot headshot. The smaller magazine won't annoy you because the playing style of a sniper doesn't depend on a larger mag and rather on being able to kill people in as few shots as possible. Also the slower firerate of a pump action can be disregarded because you will not be firing at max speed when sniping, you'll slowly line up a headshot and take a one hit kill kill if you can.
  9. alexm42

Slugs for the Pump Actions aren't worth it. The only advantage the Pump Actions have is their ability to one-shot kill. You lose this with slugs, and then the gun sucks. The Pump Actions are great, but not with slugs.

The full-auto shotguns are awful for slugs too. Their only advantage is the rate of fire, and the recoil is high enough that you just end up using it like a semi-auto. And the full-auto shotguns are otherwise inferior in every way.

I personally prefer the fast-reload shotguns (Mauler S6, Thanatos, FA1 Barrage) when I use slugs. This is because they have the highest accuracy and the fastest bullet speed. This means less bullet drop if you're not Vanu, and less leading of moving targets no matter which faction you are. This makes it better than the large magazine shotguns because you'll be hitting more reliably, which makes up for the 2 less bullets per magazine.

As for attachments- Slugs, obviously, and optics are personal preference. I prefer extended mags for the last attachment- Laser Sight is good for your hipfire when you're using slugs, but your goal is to stay at longer ranges with slugs so the 4 extra bullets that extended mags provide are better.
  10. rahulr1

Couldn't agree with you more. I dunno if I made it clear but pumps with slugs are extremely situational and they generally suck. A pump with slugs is basically a bolt action sniper as I said. It sucks for anything but sniping, and it is undeniably the best at sniping.
  11. Sandpants

I bought slugs for my claw just for the lulz. And managed to snipe a heavy from about 40m when he was running. Made me feel really good.

Pump slugs can still one shot in the head within 10m. With a laser sight they can be hipfired rather well, so it allows finishing people off. But toe-to-toe with someone will be extremely difficult.

In general slugs suck for anything that is not vanu. Too much drop, not enough velocity.
  12. Iridar51

*khe-khem*
    Semi-auto and full autos damage per slug: 500 @ 10m - 360 @ 40m.
    Pump action damage: 800 @ 10m - 400 @ 40m.
    Bolt-action sniper rifles do 750 @ 10m to 550 @ 75m (cheap bolt action) or 800 @ 10m to 550 @ 100m (expensive ones).
    Only if you intend to snipe people within 20m of you :rolleyes:
  13. Leivve

It's got a higher firing rate, and doesn't require you to "unscope" so it's easier to recover for a shot that didn't kill.
  14. ShumaKun

If you know good places and battle is really large no one will find you, but since you are TR I dont recommend you slugs, because bullet drop is huge.
    Best shotgun for slugs from my experience is full auto.
  15. JesNC

I recently got around to play with my high-cap semi-auto (Sweeper) again. IMO it lends itself perfectly to the use of slug ammo, especially since the large magazine allows you to fit a laser sight instead of the extended mags to retain some hipfire capability.

But it's no sniper by any means. You might get the occassional long range kill, but bullet velocity and drop are going to make you miss a lot. I'd rate its optimal range between a 'true' shotgun and the default carbine tbh.

If you want to go the 'stopgap sniper'/designated marksman route I'd suggest trying the long-range carbine for your faction (T5 AMC/GD-23/Pulsar C?).
  16. Booface

It will never OHK past 10m, and even at < 10m any rank of Nanoweave turns it into a 2 shot kill, so you will almost always be taking a follow up shot. The damage between the pumps and the semis with slugs is a lot less than you'd assume. The semi shotties with slugs will even have the same shots to kill at most distances if a headshot is involved (one headshot and a follow up shot). There is virtually no reason to put slugs on a pump versus a semi.

As far as being sniper rifles, shotties with slugs are definitely inferior for that kind of work. You'd best compare them to the semi-auto sniper rifles, where they have similar shots-to-kill, similar ROF, but smaller magazines (or similar with ex mags) and lower velocity. The only semi-auto snipers they compare favorably to would be the Vanu semi-autos, since VS semi snipers have the extra damage degradation, and even then it's kind of a wash due to the bullet drop. Nobody who knows the stats uses the Vanu semi snipers, so it's sort of a moot comparison anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I will occasionally use slugs myself. But this isn't like Bad Company 2, where pumps with slugs were basically sniper rifles but better in every way. In PS2 slugs are not as good as sniper rifles at performing a sniping role and you'll be disappointed if you expect them to be; they're more of a DMR type of deal--kind of what the Battle Rifle should be but isn't.
  17. Pikachu

I like the one with larger magazine. Dont bother with pump shotgun slugs. They're not fun anymore. They were at their release. The 2nd generation has no advantage over the 1st. They deal the same damage.
  18. Leivve

In what situation would you take a full auto with slugs over a semi/pump with slugs or a carbine.
  19. ShumaKun

When I have a chance to meet enemy in CQ.

Edit: I don't read that last part about carbine, sorry for my mistake it was really late in my time zone.
    So really slugs are only good for farming kills from safe spot, nothing more.Full auto shotgun with slugs and extended mags performs better at close range then semi auto with laser. Carbine is your most versatile weapon, don't even think sluggun can replace it
    • Up x 1
  20. Pikachu

About pump, for most distances it will take the same number of shots to kill for pump and non-pump shotguns. It's only within 10m where pump can kill with 1 shot less, both in matters of head and body shots.