Best primary for the VS engineer?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Vanu Sting, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Vanu Sting

Hey, just wanted to know what you guys prefer to use for the VS engineer's primary weapon slot. I like the engineer class Im just not a big fan of the default carbine :(.
  2. MiTHMoN

There is a feature to try out a weapon without having to buy it. Go into the shop in-game and click to purchase, then it'll ask whether to use SC or Certs or trial it for half an hour. I heard you can try 1 thing every 8 hours.

Mostly you'll either go a Solstice variant for the added attachments, or the VX6-7 for its added killing power, or the Pulsar C for its assault rifle style, or a shotgun.

It's really up to how you play, so give more information maybe?
  3. VKhaun

The VX6-7 is the best gun in the game, hands down. Don't get me wrong, it's not by a huge margin like an instagib sniper LMG or anything, but it's going to leave you with no complaints. I recommend the advanced red dot and a 4x scope (whichever you prefer). It's low recoil and good accuracy will allow large bursts at medium to medium-long with the 4x without need of recoil attachments, and hip fire at point blank all the way out to medium range will surprise you with it's accuracy once you've got the red dot.

Alternatively, the shotgun is a fantastic buy. It can be used by all classes except the infiltrator, which means one attachment unlock will give you that attachment on every class for the shotgun. The slug ammo upgrade has absurd accuracy and range, making it a battle rifle style weapon when you want it to be. Don't bother with the 8round semi-auto versions, pick one of the 6round automatics (reload time, or fire rate) to get fast TTK with the regular shotgun shells, and press 'B' to set them to single fire when using slugs at range. Extended mag will put those to a 10 round capacity.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sian

the VX6-7 is easily tops if you're the kind of engineer who goes indoors. I don't know why you would do this but hey, it's your lives.

The Solstice SF w/grenade launcher is beastly for an engineer, because you resupply your own launcher ammo. It's great if you play support or vehicle driver, and you need to get a quick kill on some HA dude who thinks he's all that after blowing up your ride.

The Eidolon is awesome if you play close to pure support. taking sniper fire? Not for long.

Then the shotguns are great all-round buys, since they unlock for all classes. Make sure to buy extended magazines and you'll be in good shape, but you're at a disadvantage at range. If you're dedicated support and hide behind MAXes and follow them indoors a lot, you won't regret it here.
  5. Goodkat

I will throw a recommendation out there for the Pulsar C. This gun may not have the dps that the VX6-7 has but it packs a harder punch per bullet than any other VS carbine. This means you can take out two or even three guys with your modest 30 round clip. The combination of more power per bullet and slower firing speed makes this gun controllable an accurate (espically with compensator and advanced forward grip) in experienced hands.

Basically:

Solstice with fast reload is new player friendly.
    Solstice Burst is same as above plus burst fire as far as I know.
    VX6-7 with high rate of fire is good close quarters.
    Pulsar C with high stopping power is good at medium outdoor ranges.
    Solstice SF is versatile with many attachment choices including under barrel weapons.
  6. |Poo|

Solstice SF. (the SF is select fire, so you get fully auto, 3 round burst or semi-auto)
    It will work with both the Engineer and Light Assault... so you only need to upgrade 1 gun for both classes.

It can attach an under-barrel grenade launcher.

It is also a deal if you purchase it with cert points (normal price when purchased with sc)).
    Most of your 700SC weapons cost 1000CP's

The Solstice SF costs 700SC or 500CP making it half-price in the CP category.

Give it a reflex sight, a grenade launcher and you choice of barrel attachment and ammo, and you have a solid weapon for 2 classes.
  7. krakendoom

I find the Shotgun (Thanatos VS) a good weapon, but as stated Slug ammo, Extended mag are prety much a must, x2 reflex sight is good for indoor and x4 is great for "sniping". 3 hits will pretty much kill any target but a MAX.
  8. Vanu Sting

Thanks for the advice guys, the shotgun with slugs sound like my type of style so ill be sure to try that out :D
  9. Elkan

Try out the battle rifle. I went with it, and (with a laser pointer) never looked back. You can snipe, rapidly semi-auto close, and still do all the great engy tricks. :)
  10. 4Unruly

I use the VX6-7 with the reflex sight, soft point bullets, and advanced laser dot most of the time. Get both levels of the laser dot on this. The other stuff is optional. I bought every scope, even the IR/NV to try them out. The plain old reflex is the best one on this rifle. I have the 2x reflex on my Solstice SF and I love it on that gun with the nade launcher, but you can't have the 2x on the VX6-7.

Also, I have tried the pandora and if you are rushing through buildings that thing rocks the damage, but from even across a room it starts to have trouble. It is definitely designed to just leave the run key down all the time and get in peoples faces.

I would say depending on your play style either get the VX6-7 and use it one your engineer and light attack, or get the pandora and use it on everything.

The pandora will cost you less since every class except the infiltrator can use it, but you will not be able to attack anything past 15 meters. The slug ammo helps this at the cost of some power, but the brute power of the shotgun up close is what makes it so good. You could always turn the slugs on and off depending on use.
  11. Xasapis

If you find yourself engaging enemies in close to mid range then VX6-7 fast emptying clip downs people almost as fast as a shotgun.

Personally I prefer the Pulsar C, because I find myself in mid range to long range situations. The fully upgraded clip and the slower firing rate makes it easier to fully auto on somebody in a distance and still keep control of your aim. I can't fully auto VX6-7 and compensate for the recoil by the time the clip empties. Perhaps I just need more practice though.

Another alternative as mentioned above is the SF, because both light and engineer can use and because you can lob grenades in those tech lab cluster x doors.
  12. raw

VX6-7. go murder some red.
  13. Nicholai

Solstice SF with a under-barrel smoke launcher and a sight to let you see through the smoke.

Headshotting a room full of people that can't see you (you get two smoke shots - almost 10 seconds of vision imparement) is win.

The smoke also takes the 'suicide' out of 'suicide bomber' if charging into a zerg with mines and grenades is your thing.

The smoke also has an excellent synergy with other players operating on comms with you. A inf squad with NV sights and a smoke-engy supporting it is a bit of a beast.
  14. Phenomena

I've been using the Pandora shotgun with slug ammunition, extra ammo, and 2x reflex with great results. I mainly play an engineer and end up supporting mostly during major offensives when not in a vehicle, and I tend to position myself in such a way that I don't take direct fire. When an enemy comes around a corner, as an example, I need to dispatch them extremely quickly in very close quarters, and that Pandora will absolutely shred just about anything especially considering it's fully automatic. Also, the slug ammunition concentrates the spread so you have quite a bit more range on it, and the extra ammo brings your clip size from 6 to 10.

Give it a shot, literally, and I think you won't be disappointed once you get invested in it with those mods.
  15. Quovatis

I like the Pulsar C best. Its recoil is manageable unlike the VX6-7. It's good for indoors as well as outdoors. The VX6-7 is only for close range.
  16. ThePackage

I tend to disagree, while the recoil of the VX6-7 is quite high, it's rate of fire makes up for that in the first second or two of firing. You can put a lot of rounds on your target very quickly even at mid to long range.
  17. Elrobochanco

Pulsar C
    It's effective at any range, and aside from turning a corner and expecting to win in a shotgun duel it usually wins. If you can consistently track an enemy in ADS, Pulsar C will chew them up swiftly. Everyone is still jumping all over the VX6-7 because of beta where there was no Pulsar C. It's accurate, hits hard, and can be fired full auto without any real recoil for almost 2 seconds.

Alternately the shotguns are hilariously versatile, a nova with slugs is a decent poor mans sniper rifle.
  18. SalsaDoom

I go into all sorts of combat as an Engineer. I don't really play anything else whatever the situation. I went with a Pandora (EXTENDED MAG) and a Solstice SF. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the SSF with a smoke launcher and NV sights is a pretty evil combination to really give you a lethal edge. The SSF has a really fast reload time. I've routinely beat HA's in a face to face battle with it. Another plug for the SSF -- you can switch to the under barrel attachment instantly. So if you blow your mag and the guys still standing you can pop a grenade or a shotgun blast to finish him off. More than a few times a guy and I end up dancing around each other until our rifles are dry, and having a wad of buck to hit him with while he's struggling to reload or fumbling for his pistol ends the fight nicely.

The Pandora obviously owns everything up close, the Nova will be almost as good. Just so long as they are no too far away.
  19. Bosjem

When i play engineer i often use the Eidolon. It's not a gun for everyone considering that it works well at medium-long range so it doesn't fit everyone's favorite gameplay. I use it with decent/good result staying on the second line of attack/defence with a 4x scope trying to bring ammo to the front line when needed to keep the attack/defence go (and repair vehicles if they are around). Accuracy is rather good and i think that a 3 headshot kill at range is fair enough.
    If you like a close range style of play you'll probably struggle (at least i do, even switching to reflex sight) and you'll be better with a carbine like the VX6-7 (carefull with that, you'll end up with little to no ammo very quickly) or a shotgun.
  20. furez

Ive just used Nova shotgun (Slug) so far with extended mag and reflex day and NV. Im hopeless at twitch but it seems to suffice.