best LA medium weapon for TR

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by consciousvillan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. cruczi

What, horizontal recoil per second? That's not even a thing. Explain to me how horizontal recoil per second is relevant at all ?
  2. Iridar51

0.134 * 652 / 60 = 1.46
    0.141 * 550 = 1.29
    Horizontal recoil per second affects stability during sustained fire. The more instances of horizontal recoil there are, the higher the chance that aim will veer off the target.
    Obviously, overall horizontal recoil compensates itself out, especially on weapons with no horizontal recoil variance, but still, horizontal recoil is something completely random, and when talking about accurate shooting, you want as little random as possible. T5 AMC has more intense random.
  3. cruczi

This seems more intuitive to me: The higher the magnitude of each instance of horizontal recoil, the higher the chance the aim will veer off the target. (Case 1: ) Recoil with frequency nearing infinite, where each instance has very low magnitude, is far more likely to stay on target than (Case 2: ) recoil with frequency nearing 1, where each instance has very high magnitude, assuming both cases have the same recoil per second calculated from frequency times magnitude. In other words, the Case 1 is superficially indistinguishable from no recoil at all, while in Case 2 the recoil clearly shows.

Comparing T5 AMC and Cougar, perhaps it is slightly in Cougars favor, but not as much as you think. This is because some of the higher recoil per second of T5 AMC is compensated for by the fact that each instance has lower magnitude. If the recoil per second was the same on both weapons, T5 AMC would feel more stable due having higher ROF with lower magnitude.
  4. Iridar51

Good point, you've given me something to think about.
  5. Matti

Though I agree with the T5 AMC as almost everyone in this thread is suggesting, I really don't
    see the reason going beyond the 1x magnification. I use the midrange carbines for all three
    empires and I have switched to the HS/NV scope after making this video. If you play on lower
    graphics settings , nightvision don't really work.

6. Nakar

My mouse barely moves at all. I'm used to operating in a space less than 6" square. I'm almost solely wrist control and I do rapid turns by repeatedly picking up the mouse, placing it down slightly to the left/right, and ramping it real fast. Turning is thus a bit jerky but when I need to CQC somebody I supplement the turning with my strafing. I am also constantly in motion so I tend to coordinate the movement of my character with the movement of my crosshair. If you're strafing left and moving the mouse left it moves faster than standing still and moving the mouse left, so I'll often adjust toward my target. It's also a great way to avoid being sniped!

It probably doesn't help - but it may explain my perspective - that I learned all my FPS skills in an era before ADSing existed (or mattered) for non-sniping weapons. Early era Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, that sort of thing, and before PS2 I was playing a lot of TF2 where ADSing isn't really a thing. If you've used the K98 in Day of Defeat you might be familiar with its usage as a precursor to ADAD spam, you basically would ADAD with it, stop briefly to get the perfect accuracy, pop a shot off, then start moving again while working the bolt.

But as Bankrotas said it's not the sensitivity, but whether you can do well with it. I somehow have a well above-average HSR despite average overall accuracy, so something must be working with what I do.
  7. cruczi

Well... So did I. I started my online FPS with Quake, and I still play it. Typical mouse sensitivity of a high level aimer in Quake is around 20 to 45 cm per 360 degrees, with optional mouse acceleration to varying degrees. So I'm not quite sure what ADS'ing as an aiming mechanic has to do with explaining anyone's choice of mouse sensitivity - at least there doesn't seem to be link between pre-ADS gamers and high sensitivity.

True. However, there are upper and lower limits to what's a reasonable choice for sensitivity, purely from the perspective of having optimal control over your mouse. What I said above is pretty much it, there are extremely few if any top level aimers in quake who have sensitivity lower than 20 or higher than 45 cm per 360 degrees. There are of course players who do decently enough using 15 cm or even lower, but that just means they have potential to do much better if they lowered their sensitivity. I'm 99% certain the same applies to you. If you used a lower sensitivity and became accustomed to it by focused practice, and adjusted your aiming and mouse technique from wrist-only to both wrist and arm, you'd almost certainly improve your aim.
  8. Nakar

If I had incentive to do so, perhaps I would try. But I'm doing just dandy as things are, so I don't really see any reason to push myself to improve. Indeed, I'm comfortable enough that I don't want to risk suffering a hit in performance for the chance of improving it somewhere down the line. No reason to fix what isn't broken, and my accuracy is fine while my KDR is well above-average. Most fights that I lose, I lose to situational awareness failures or being overwhelmed, and better aim would not have helped me in those fights.