Best Faction?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AFK1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. TrueGormagon

I cannot help but dance to this beat. We need to play this over a VS sound system in battle....could be a great support weapon.
  2. FieldMarshall

According to my calculations the faction that you dont play is the best one. You always pick the worst one no matter what.
    • Up x 4
  3. Ragnarox

lol devs p'lay NC and favors them, all the noob players plays with them because you dont need skill at cqc to kill someone with best weapons out there. And why Vanu is the best, we have best organization, and why you suck, because you have kids who dont know to follow orders.
  4. Jbn0s0rus

5. Imperium Assault

TR Best and Greatest
  6. Esailia

Everyone is talking about the best faction in terms of winning, or combat style, or weapon pros/cons. How about personal experiences with the people who win, the people who form those combat styles, the people who make those weapons work.

I've been playing for about 9-11 months now. I have a BR 62 TR, BR12 NC, and BR 8 VS. I started on TR, because a few friends of mine were already TR. Naturally I'd want to play with them in a new game to me. And it's the one I leveled up the most due to the most gameplay. But in recent times, the outfit I was in on TR has died down, and I wanted to explore the NC and VS with the skill I acquired on TR.

The first I started on was NC. I hopped into a platoon that was super serious, super fast, and one fights. It was amazing, exhilarating, and epic as we flattened anything we took on. I wanted to join, so during one of the five minutes breaks we were given, I filled out an application on the spot. It went through, and I got an interview a little while later. A few issues though: I was mute, and I had a TR main. To the first, they use TeamSpeak, my old outfit used TS, and I used a soundboard to communicate to comrades on TS. SO that was 'bending the rules for me.' The latter, they wanted me to drop my outfit on TR. Now, I can't understand this. Outfit or no, how would this stop spies? I was already honest about my main, I had been running with them and it was obvious from all our success we didn't have a spy in the platoon. But they still wanted me to drop the TR outfit because "If you join us, we're your only family.". I said no. I was denied and booted from platoon.

This morning, no one was on TR that I cared about. So I went over to VS and hopped into a platoon on Indar. We were led by none other than the Vanu Announcer himself! They platoon leader had a voice changer that modded his voice to sound like the announcer's. It was very amusing and awesome. We were kicking the TR's rumps to their warpgate, and I was loving it the whole time. Because hey, Spandex beats red uniforms, right? So we are moving along, and I think "This outfit's pretty cool. They know what they're doing, they have a fun platoon lead" So I ask for an invite. At first I was declined because of my rank being 8. But then a little while later, after pulling off a coo with a sundy, I get an invite. Awesome! I found an outfit that was active, and was good! Then....we start getting brow beaten at every turn we make. But then again, we were right beside the warpgate, and there were quite a few mossys in the air that could report to TR platoons in warpgate to respond. It was natural that we were being found out after so many victories. But we hold our own at a tower near the warpgate, holding them at bay for over half an hour. Our sundys keep getting found, but again, the place was awash in activity of both sides, both sides' sundys were being found within minutes of being placed. I suddenly get the message I was booted from outfit. Why!? I whispered the leader, and I didn't get any response. So I thought "Okay, I guess he saw my low rank and just booted me for that. No biggie, I'll get rank 10 tonight and hopefully he'll invite me back. Well, we're still holding at this tower, and he orders for an airstrike from our warpgate. I instantly redeploy and hop into a liberator. We wait for everyone to arrive, before dusting off and moving out. We must have been spotted on our approach, because the mossy possy over the tower turned towards us and opened fire. I returned fire as soon as I had the go ahead. And then...I hear this "I think I know who the spy is. ****!" And I was kicked from platoon. I keep firing until our lib went down, then I whisper the leader, asking why I was suspect. There was tons of enemy aircraft up and about before we had started pulling aircraft at warpgate, and it was very possible that we had been spotted by a mossy or two swinging around the tower. It's not hard to move over ten aircraft in tight formation. Makes quite a big polkadot pattern in the bright blue sky. Suffice to say, you can't convince someone that you're not a spy when they are convinced you are.

Burned by both NC and VS the very first outfits I encounter. So you know what? For me, TR might have terrible accuracy. TR might have horrible spray and pray on most their guns. TR might have weapons that hit like wet noodles. But at least TR soldiers trust each other. TR soldiers rely on one another. And TR soldiers hold their own against jackhammer NC and no bullet drop VS in biolab fights. We persevere the hard hitting NC and the Lancer VS in amp station fights. We hold fast and support each other when fighting off wave after wave of NC shotgun MAXes in tech plant wars. We outlast VS scythe deathsquads.

Freedom and religion are worth fighting for, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have comrades I can be with when the gunfire dies down than a kick in the rump from diehard rebels who hate you for fighting against the Republic, or a knife in the back from paranoid know-it-alls for following orders to the utmost against the ignorant Terrans.

Loyalty until Death. Strength in Unity! That is what the Terran Replublic is about, and that is the most honest victory of them all.
    • Up x 1
  7. CipherNine

NC will have Ahnuld's voice pack therefore they are the best faction.
  8. bubbacon

• Up x 1
  9. Spoof

Depends on server. Depends on time of day. Depends on the TV guide.
    • Up x 1
  10. Einharjar

Holy mother of Necro...
    Eh it's only half a year... seen worse.

NANITE SYSTEMS IS THE BEST FACTION.
    No explanation needed.

Love the use of Hans Zimmer's Inception Sound Track here. I believe that track is called "Time".
    Yeah, Hans Zimmer is a amazing...
    • Up x 1
  11. Mahaut

Oh, the irony.

Was it intended? For the pacifist and humanist speech from The Great Dictator to be mixed with images from the eternal, senseless war from Planetside 2?

Anyway, it's beautiful. In a tragic way, but still.

Say again, what was this thread about?
    • Up x 1
  12. Einharjar

It is possibly for Irony, yes, but I think it's fitting really.

In PS2, there is no real bad guy or good guy. Everyone is roughly the same. Each have their own righteous way of seeking perseverance.

TR believe that Security is held by limiting Choice
    NC believe that Freedom is created by unlimited Choice
    VS believe that Survival is committed to and that there is no Choice

To every other factions, all seem the "Machine"
    Yet to themselves, they seem "Natural".

It's a clash of Wills, as most Wars are. Seeing it from their POV, they always see themselves as the Hope for mankind and their cause the one true moral cause.

Thus, the speech from The Great Dictator actually works, IMO.
  13. TheMish

What gameplay wise? Story-wise?

If you want best faction morally. It's the Republic.

The NC are capitalists mercenaries. They'll start an oligarchy.(Rich rule the government)

The VS are pretty much the borg. There's no sign of any independence. Just a hive mind with total devotion to "Vanu"

Gameplay wise. Depends. If you want to roflstomp people, VS.

If you like spewing bullets everywhere until your enemy cries and hides, TR

If you like firing soda can sized bullets at people, NC.

The TR are the best anti-infantry option you'll ever get. The Banshee tears apart infantry FAST. The Marauder is really good at clearing out people quickly and efficiently. The Max pounders are amazing against infantry, and are total Max busters. Even great against vehicles. May God have mercy on them if you decide to be a total dick and lockdown to beat them up :D.

Locking down with double Mutilators or Onslaughts in your Max suit, and just endlessly, firing down a hallway. Is the worst thing you can do to the enemy. Forget shooting if you see them. Just shoot. If you know they're coming, or they're behind a wall. Just shoot, the insane firepower a TR Max can rain down a hallway is awesome. But make sure to hit your target, otherwise you're totally ****** by c4 and rockets.

If you want anti-vehicular superiority. NC is what you want. The ravens are probably the most feared weapon in the game if you're in a ground vehicle. They hit hard as hell, can hit infantry precisely, can hit larger aircraft, can hit tanks with pin point precision. It's an awesome weapon. The Falcons are great too at close range, you're a walking tank. If you use double falcons. You hit with around 1000 damage every time you hit with both. And you can use the aegis shield if someone fires back.

If you want versatility. Then you go VS. There's not much to say, but they can pretty much do everything the TR and NC do to a moderate to extreme level.

Nothing is really specialized for them.
  14. Seryi

Whichever faction's aesthetic, idealogy, soundtracks, weapons, or even color scheme appeals to you most.

Faction differences aren't nearly as pronounced as they were in Planetside 1, so you generally can't go wrong no matter who you roll with.

You're still a filthy traitor if you choose anything but TR, though. ;)
  15. IrishPride

I either play as the Roxolani or Royal Scythians they are the best funnest factions imo :p, oops wrong game haha no. TR is for me is fun I get a little sense of realism firing their guns. VS is good when I don't wanna fire bullets and be a little more mobile, NC when i feel focused i guess.
  16. ToRideTheRisingWind

Well all factions have their pros and cons, mainly (for infantry) VS have the accuracy; NC the damage and TR the ability to just hold the trigger and kill everything with a spray of bullets (fire rate).

All factions can end up being pretty damn decent depending on your play style however, and though some factions are more noob friendly (TR especially here, and VS to a certain extent (NC imho has the hardest to use weapons)), they all have balancing traits. You may have read people posting that the safest option is VS as they are the devs' virtual baby, i.e they all play (or played) it and just honestly in general seem to prefer it. NC on the other hand in the same regards is like David from A.I. Artificial intelligence; they are the ones that are just continually ****ted on by the developers, though the developers are oft likely to deny it. Lets just take the Orion and compare it to the Gauss Saw, 'nough said (btw I as a more experienced player adore the Gauss Saw, but I am afraid it has gotta be the ****est starter in the game), or if you want further evidence; take the recent update and compare the Mjolnir to Aphelion, just another example of the NC having a huge great **** taken on it.

On a serious note though; all factions are good; and though some are better than others; none (in the base game at least) are so much better that they are unbeatable, and honestly, I love the NC; think their weapons are great. Just don't expect to be winning any alert though as the vast majority of players during and an alert are noobs (<Rank 70) and therefore as NC requires a high skill level to fully utilise, they stink (per example, the average kill to death ration is 0.75ish for the VS and TR; where as it is 0.5 for the NC).

The thing I have not mentioned yet however is what in my opinion is the second greatest factor in which faction to choose, and that is what server you play on. For an example; VS rules Miller, TR is then close behind them and then NC drags their feet way, way at the back. NC only ever predictably wins on Sunday nights as that's when most of the good VS and TR outfits are out of action (and when NC has its op nights, though that's honestly not too important). On other servers this is different however; as from some of the other comments you can see in this very thread. NC may rule on Connery or TR on Cobalt, just do a bit of research is all, and then you'll know.

To sum up, all factions are good (though some in general are less so than others, ahem NC) however two most critical deciding factors is what server you are on; and most of all; you. This is your fun to be had in Planetside 2, take it yourself. When I chose a faction, which I would later play for nigh upon a thousand hours (yes, this is my most played game you'll be happy to know; by a long shot) I chose NC because **** it; those VS look too gay for me and the TR too Chinese-Commies; **** YEAH! NC! (I would then spend the next 400 hours of game play on a ****e laptop on a ****e faction, running around as a noob with the Gauss Saw and 5 fps to compliment that great need of accuracy with it, and then the next 300 or so ( and still counting) kicking *** 'cause I bought myself a decent computer ;3)
    In the end; its up to you bro; your choice and your fun to be had in the world's largest virtual battle field (though hurry up; the game is like its fighting cancer but dying slowly, as each cell of its existence. a soldier's death) Most important thing to do when playing this game is so have fun and kick ***, though you might have to be patient to get either of them.

This has been your friendly neighborhood guy who just turned up randomly and wrote an essay for you! HAVE FUN! :D
    Signed: ToRideTheRisingWind

(Disclaimer; neither I, nor this document are not responsible for anyone who read it; chose NC and spent the next 500 hours of their life dying to the gay brigade in spandex or virtual Chinese and then as a direct result, committed suicide).
  17. Vurvu

I know which Faction would be the worst if it were coloured Beige.
  18. DeadlyPeanutt

mea culpa
  19. DeadlyPeanutt

i play all three and like them all pretty much equally.

The VS is cool and futuristic
    The NC feels solid and their weapons pack a big punch and sound like you're shooting someone
    The TR feels as smooth and sharp as a knife in the dark

the differences are not as important as player skill... if you play FPS well, you'll play any of them well
  20. TombsClawtooth

As a collective, with good organization: VS
    As an individual with decent skill: NC

I'm not really sure how I'd classify TR. They seem entirely focused on mob control, making it hard to really figure out their place.

NC offers the individual the most choices and most flexibility and VS offers an overall package that makes organized fighting seem more effective.

I find these benefits tend to come with equal downsides. I don't really enjoy playing VS at all unless I'm with an organized group, and I use almost nothing but NS weapons on my VS character. On my NC character I find I can have quite an enjoyable time going solo into fights, and if I get bored of a specific style of weapon I have so many choices available it's incredible. Meanwhile it seems hard to find good organized groups of NC.