Best Engineer Gun? Thoughts/Opinions

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by gorviss, Dec 10, 2012.

1. gorviss

Best Engineer Gun? Thoughts/Opinions for the VS? So far I find the default guns for each class to be pretty good. So what is everyones opinion here?
  2. Reaver78

I’ve recently purchased the Pandora automatic shotgun, and I’ve used it for about 250 kills between Engineer and Light Assault. I don’t engage close range as much and I was pondering something different than the Solstice for mid-range. I trialed a couple of guns, but in the end, I ended up getting slugs on my Pandora and adding the HSNV scope.

I also specced into the extended magazine. This increases your clip size to 10, but reduces your number of extra clips to 2. I’ve been happy so far with the slug performance mid-range and have even counter sniped a couple of times.

I ended up bagging 5 kills while repairing and defending a generator using that setup. Three heavies, one infiltrator, and a light assault all fell to my thunderous automatic shotgun slugfest! Unfortunately, someone finally brought a Max to the fight, and I was only able to whittle him down to half before he did me in. If only I hadn’t tossed in my sticky grenade to check for baddies.

The nice thing about running a shotgun as an engineer is the ammo pack. It keeps you from having to use your suit slot for extra mags, which is good for any weapon, but especially the Pandora. You can chew through three or four mags within seconds if it gets hairy.
  3. Foefaller

I tried the Pandora in a trial, and I found myself empting my clip way too quickly to be useful. Granted, you can't get slugs on trial, and I understand that slug ammuntion makes-or-breaks most shotguns. In any case, I think I would perfer a semi-auto like the Thantos for my shotty needs.

Also, they are hella buggy atm, but the ammo for underbarrel weapons can be refilled with your engi ammo packs, making the Solistice SF with the grenade launcher something worth looking at, even it's slower rate of fire makes the unmodded version underperform compared to the unmodded Solistice. It's also one of the most modifiable weapons in the game, having just about every possible upgrade available to infantry weapons with the exception of slug ammo, scopes beyond 5x magnifaction, and the advance forward grip. You think of a vs. Infantry situation, and you can probably come up with a SF configuration that will do the job. It may not the absolutly best job, but it will do the job, and at 500 certs, it is much more atainable than most of the other guns for the F2P player who isn't willing to shell out for station cash just yet.

Finally, the VX6-7 and Serpent are suppose to be two of the deadlist carbines at short-mid range in the game. That's not "Vanu" carbines, it's Carbines, period. The downside? They have some of the longest reload times of any carbine in the game. A Serpent takes about the same amount of time to reload as it does to fire off it's 30 round clip, and the VX6-7 isn't far behind in that, so you better make sure you've killed everything in front of you on the first clip, and anyone left alive doesn't want to get closer for the second.
  4. Melchio

VX6-7 is what i'm using currently... i need to sink some more certs into it...
    catch of course is short to mid range... so base assaults and cqc

that being said switch to single fire and it snipes decently

prefer the reflex sights to the scopes
  5. Segaia

As Foefaller already mentioned the Solstice SF is very versatile. I am personally using it with the underbarrel grenade launcher and after some aiming-practice my engineer became a real thread in CQC. Bugged or not: the 2 grenades you have are enough to take anyone down that ain't a MAX or Heavy(if he has his shield up). If enemies bunker themselfes i usually run straight to them an shoot a grenade - before they knew what happened they are dead or i am long gone since the explosion irritates most of them.

What should be mentioned tho is that with the adjustments to Flak-Armor the effectiveness of the underbarrel grenade launcher may decrease. So i suggest waiting a bit before purchasing it.

Additionally Info: The smoke grenade is nice too but unfortunately at low graphics it is not visible at all and the shotgun is effective but can only take out one guy at once. I might consider the underbarrel shotgun if the Flak-Armor adjustment prevents me from one-shotting ppl.

For me the Solstice SF is the best gun hands down, because i like a flexible playstyle.
  6. Xasapis

Shotguns are too prone to have their shots not register at all atm in fights that they'd be extremely useful, like a Bio Labs brawl. So many times I've unloaded the 10 slugs on the face of some enemy at point blank range, only to see no effect and me dying from bullet fire. At least the carbines seem to work reliably, regardless of server load.

For me, the Pulsar C is better for mid or further combat, since it's easier to adjust a bit of an erratic aim, due to slower fire rate, while VX6-7 seem to perform better close/mid range, it's however harder to adjust and easy to empty the clip in seconds hitting air. On both weapons I use the grip, since I favor aim fire over hip fire.

As VS and engineer, the most fragile class of them all with no escape or evade mechanisms, I try to keep both other factions at a distance and headshot them as a priority. Pulsar C works better for that, although it doesn't have the hip stopping power of VX6-7 when the fight ends up in close quarters. We can't corner fire like the TR due to the smaller ammo clip and we don't have the NC stopping power in close quarters.
  7. 4Unruly

My current favorite set ups are as follows:

Pandora with extended mag, slug ammo and 4x scope:
    Used for anti-sniper and longer range killing. Horrible for anything closer than about 80m. Nothing says satisfaction like sniping the sniper that's sniping at you, especially knowing he'll realize he was owed by and engineer.

Pandora with extended mag:
    Running through Bio labs and towers. Rocks for anything you can almost touch. Can one shot a head shot at 10m. Does almost nothing beyond 25m. Requires that you basically rush straight into everything. Lots of kills. Lots of deaths.

VX6-7 with Advanced laser dot, 1x reflex sight:
    Great for close to mid range. Open town fights. Anywhere where you are fighting and running but will be beyond 25m too often to rush them with the shotgun.

I also have the SF with the GL. The launcher is fun sometimes, but you get one shot and the reload is far longer than you will live if you miss. 2 shots and no ammo. The actual Solstice SF gun is ok but far below any of the ones listed above.

On a related note, someone mentioned above that the extended mag leaves you with only 2 extra clips. The actual issue is that the extended mag makes the gun hold 10 + 20 spares. The default is 6 + 24 spares. Note the total is 30 in both cases. So the extended mag does give you more before reloading, but doesn't actually give you more total rounds.
  8. Plague Rat

Currently I'm using the Mauler S6, which is the equivalent of the FA1 Barrage or Thanatos, with extra mags as my go to gun. For this I have 2 load outs. With Slugs I go extra mags with 4x scope and the Mag-Shot with a laser sight close range. Now with standard buckshot, the same extra mags but with a reflex scope, and the Rebel pistol as a side arm which I use to engage beyond the effective pellet spray.

I had the Piston auto-shotgun, but found I never really needed to take advantage of the full auto fire up close and it was always more of a problem with slugs since they're more prone to misses due to recoil. I think I get a bigger benefit from the half-second quicker reloads on the mauler.

However if shotguns aren't you're personal cup of tea, the GD-7F is without a doubt my favorite non-shotgun weapon, which I believe is the equivalent to the Serpent and the LC2 Lynx.
  9. Kubricks

The GD-7F is a fantastic weapon. By far the best.