Being GPU bound lately, costs 25 FPs

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Pfundi, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Pfundi

So I logged on and I noticed the game didnt run as it used to. Looked it up, I am GPU bound now. I lowered from Medium-High to lowest settings. Still lacking 15 FPS. Now Im at 25 in Bio Labs n stuff like that.
    So do you guys have any tips for me how to get rid of the problem?
  2. Skiptrace

Buy a better GPU is really your only option. You should have experienced an FPS increase with the new Multi-threading stuff that they did to improve the game. I'm going to assume though that you are using your CPU's Integrated GPU to play the game though, and that would probably be the reason why you experienced a decrease in FPS.
  3. Pfundi

Err. I dont speak computer :D
    Im using an extra GPU, but as you said its not the best (HD 76 or something like that)
    Well thats bad to hear. Thanks anyway!
  4. toast2250

That is the same as asking some one if they drive a petrol or a diesel and they tell you that they don't speak mechanics jsus christ!

Did you just randomly pick a device that is able to run windows or did you go thru the specifications/components and price for comparison before you bought it,..
    • Up x 1
  5. Pfundi

Hey calm down :D
    Of course I did, I just dont understand what Multithreading is.
  6. toast2250

http://www.paulbridger.com/node/17/
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ltitasking-multithreading-and-multiprocessing

Imagine the folowing,

You have a process called math equation, which consists of:
    3 + 9 x 3 : 2 + 2 - 5 x 1 : 3 = 16.8

To solve it you need a
    - processor (which is the school)
    - A core or cores (class room or class rooms)
    - A thread or threads (which are the students)
    - A controler (which manages all of these things, theacher)
    - Memory (chalk board)

One signle student could solve the math equation without the calculator which would take longer, its called single threading which was common on old cpus with one core only.

Multithreading would work like this, you would devide the tasks in threads which the cores would solve. For that you need to store the instructions on a chalk board and the teacher would submit the results.

CPU with 4 cores, 50Hz/ticks or 0.00000005 GHz per each core

Core1 - Thread 1 (lets say 1 tick +)
    +

Core1 - Thread 2 (lets say 3 ticks x, : and +)
    9 x 3 : 2
    +

Core4 - Thread 4 (lets say 1 tick -)
    -

Core2 - Thread 3 (lets say 3 ticks x, : and =)
    5 x 1 : 3
    =

Core3 - Thread 5 (lets say 4 ticks +, +, - , =)
    (3) + (13.5) + (2) - (1.66) = 16.8

1000ms : 50Hz = each 20miliseconds the cpu does1 tick hence the 50Hz (50 ticks per second), alltogether there are 12 ticks. 240 ms to calculate the whole. The threads are waiting for each other.

Since cpus cant go faster you must divide the load. Otherwise a single cpu would be faster. When you divide the load you must optimize it, thread 1 and 4 for example, you combine them so core 4 now has room to do other things.

Core1 - Thread 1 (lets say 2 ticks + and-)
    2 + 3
    -

2 + 3 - (9 x 3 : 2) + (5 x 1 : 3) = 16.8

Its just an example, im sure its somewhat like that.
  7. chevyowner

You can download the free version of speccy and it will give you this information. Even if it does not help you it will help those online that are willing to help you.
    • Up x 1
  8. Dragam

Shadow rendering has been moved from being primarily on the cpu, to being primarily on the gpu. So with a weak gpu, you would get lower fps now.
  9. Kirppu1

except you cannot execute shadows with CPU
  10. Kirppu1

If you have the receipt go back and return the goods
  11. Jowls

Game is back to where it was in late tech/early beta. The change from a couple of weeks ago has caused a lot of folks to be GPU bound and a "weak" GPU is not the problem. :cool:
    Along with the GPU bottle neck, others (myself included) have had an increase of crashing to desktop or just going to a blank screens. Having had less than a hand full of crashes in 6 months and going to daily crashes on my system is a pretty clear indication that DBG has incorporated a change that is not playing nice with our systems.:mad:
  12. Dragam

Doesnt change anything in regards to what part is the primary render for shadows, which has been changed from cpu to gpu, hence changing shadow settings wont increase cpu load much anymore, where it used to make a massive difference.
  13. Kirppu1

you cannot render shadows on cpus
  14. Dragam

[IMG]

Ok, so thats why removing shadows made a huge difference on cpu load on earlier versions of ps2, while it made no difference on gpu load...
  15. toast2250

Its the same as back then when some people were crashing and some were not.
    I for example didn't crash not even once since the last patch and the fps is incredible.

More than 70% the fps is 60, 20% around 45 and only 10% 30 or so.
    [IMG]
    1000ms : 16.6ms = 60fps
  16. Kirppu1

You seem to know so much about rendering, please sit down and tell me more

[IMG]
  17. Dragam

Funny, cause you seem to know nothing about it, and havent backed up a single claim with proof yet.
  18. Kirppu1

how about you show it first?
  19. Dragam

You truly are a pathetic keyboard warrior :)

Increasing / decreasing shadow settings only increases / decreases cpu load, and not gpu load in old ps2 builds - conclusion should be obvious.
  20. Kirppu1

Ok, Cpus can be used to test out what is/isn't seeable. And in planetside 2's case they can use BOTH GPU AND CPU, the shadows work in a following way: 1st it tests out what can be seen 2 cpu gives the gpu instructions on what it renders 3 the shadows are drawn