Battlerank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by YellowJacketXV, Jul 12, 2018.

1. YellowJacketXV

I can't be the only one who thinks the experience required to get to at least BR100 is a bit asinine can I?
    To get from 99 to 100 it takes 1.2 million exp to get that rank. Even if you make a modest score-per-hour it's gonna take forever.

For example if you make score per minute (spm) of:
    200 -- 6000 minutes; 100 hours. At least five days of solid, nonstop playing.
    300 -- 4000 minutes; 66.7 hours. At least three and a half days of solid, nonstop playing.
    400 -- 3000 minutes; 50 hours. At least two and a half days of solid, nonstop playing.

Not to mention that just to get to BR99 you need 17,700,000 Rounded up.
    200 -- 88,500 minutes; 1,475 hours; 61.46 days; 8.77 weeks.
    300 -- 59,000 minutes; 983.33 hours; 40.97 days; 5.85 weeks.
    400 -- 44,250 minutes; 737.5 hours; 30.73 days; 4.39 weeks.

This is all solid playing, no excuses of teetering on score, no time wasted, etc etc. Boosts don't even cut it, this is absolutely outrageous for an MMO to boast this kind of grind. I used to play good ol' fashioned Ragnarok Online and it didn't have this much level/experience grind. We're teetering on Korean MMO levels that I never thought possible.

Do you think we might be able to... y'know...lower some of the exp requirements? Hell even a 20% reduction would seem awesome and reduce the lag time between ranks by quite a bit. Folk are confused why new people leave all the time, maybe it's because they can't treat games like a second job? Compared to other FPS rivals where people level up almost every three games and get perks and all the e-flashy "YOU DID IT!!" posts. I'm not a game designer, but I do play a LOT of video games and these kinds of calculations are disheartening.

All I wanted was assault rifle for engineer darnit. I wanted that BEFORE my months-long haitus from Planetside 2... I'm more of a casual player, I'd say. My SPM hardly touches 300...
  2. FateJH

Other persistent world shooter rival games?
    Oh, this is about ASP.
  3. Doc Jim

Normally I would just ramble on about how battleranks mean absolutely nothing and that you should ignore them. But then ASP came along... and well, with ASP being what it is, I have to agree. The grind to BR100 is too much.
    • Up x 1
  4. Movoza

It's an "end game" mechanic to keep people interested a bit longer. If you would put the xp for level 80 or 90 there, you would get the end game stuff way too easily. Right now you have a ton of players getting new levels and new ASP, making them play way longer. If level 100 was at the current level 80 xp, a lit would already be finished and have less to play for.

The ASP is meant as a boon to make things easier/more versatile for the longer players, not for the crowd that plays less hours. From that perspective it works beautifully.
    • Up x 1
  5. YellowJacketXV

So lose out on drawing in a larger player base to keep elitists happy?
  6. Doc Jim

Pretty much. It's not unusual for this game though. My guess is that internal statistics indicate that long term customers or "elitists" contribute a more important part of the revenue than normal people, thereby justifying pandering to them.
  7. JibbaJabba

So I've been playing since release.
    On my main I hit BR 100 when that was the cap, kept playing. Then BR 120 was the cap. Hit it, kept playing. Then ASP....

ASP is *end game* content. You have plenty of other aspects of the game you can invest in before then.

Reaching BR 100 is ***EASY***. It used to be way, way harder.

No certs for damaging aircraft. Kills only. You had to drop a galaxy with that burster max or you weren't getting squat. Same with vehicles.
    No directives.
    No daily medals.
    No cortium mining.
    NO BOOSTERS at all - the slots didn't even exist.

You're telling me you're a causal player and don't play much. Then in the same breath saying that you want access to the endgame content? In what game does that crap happen??
    • Up x 2
  8. MonnyMoony

It took me over 4 years to reach BR100.

But I only tend to play the game casually in the odd few minutes I can find between my job, my sex life and driving my Aston Martin...........;)
  9. Twin Suns

Go play a casual shooter then, we don't ask you casuals to change you're bubblegum shooter games for us.

So don't change ours.

o7
    • Up x 1
  10. Luicanus

I take it you've not paid a subscription then? Cos running in a squad with even a basic subscription is +55% score, between that and a year's heroic boost I might be a little disconnected from the realities that the xp grind is but I reached BR100 without it the first time and only used it for the final few levels to BR120 and now to ASP81. Simply put I barely noticed the BRs ticking by, they were and are fairly meaningless.

Focusing on them destroys your enjoyment same as focusing on certs does, just play the game and be pleasantly surprised when you occasionally level up.
    • Up x 3
  11. JibbaJabba

This.

When you reach the zen in the game you'll one day look down and find a hefty pile of certs have accumulated. You were earning them like mad but forgot all about it.

You use those certs to buy some loadout you never had before then go off adventuring in that new loadout. By the time you're good at it... oh look... new pile of certs! :)
    • Up x 1
  12. Luicanus

Exactly, as I say, between a boost and a membership the grind is a little easier for me but I've got enough different playstyles unlocked that I don't really want for anything anymore so I dont look a the cert count for days at a time. Just the other day I had to go hunting for a way to spend 1800 certs that I wasn't sure what to do with.

My lib and Gal which I bearly fly are now really heavily certed out. Next is the MAX I guess, which has something like 10 hours usage in it in 2.5 years.
    • Up x 1
  13. HippoCryties

Quick question...
    what’s the o7 at the end of all your post supposed to signify?
  14. FateJH

It's a salute emoticon.
    • Up x 1
  15. Sazukata

It's a salute. There's also a wave for greetings or farewells: o/

I'm not certain where it originated exactly, but I picked it up from the Dust 514 community.

Edit: Fate beat me by 3 minutes. ;_;
    • Up x 2
  16. LaughingDead

Probably does not help the intimidation factor when new players come into this game realizing they need to kill to earn good buck.
  17. HippoCryties

Oh right thanks for clearing that up lads. Didn’t have a clue!
  18. Twin Suns

19. YellowJacketXV

Exclusion does not save dying games.
    • Up x 1
  20. Twin Suns

Listen to yourself man.

Exclusion from what? Hurry up and call the ACLU. LMAO!!!

Either you play the game because you like it or you don't. That's how Capitalism works killer.

o7