Battle Rifles: foregrip or laser sight?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by OldMaster80, Nov 21, 2014.

1. OldMaster80

Hi,

I use my AMR-66 mainly for mid / close range engagements. My loadouts is 2x Scope, Compensator, no High Velocity Ammo then... I can't decide which is better between Laser SIght and Foregrip. The reason is battle rifles require a lot of "trigger discipline" due to the recoil: at every shot you must wait until the rifle returns to the initial position so it's not really rewarding if you tap the mouse furiously.
    I made several test in the VR but I don't see any advantage at using the foregrip: time to recover from recoil seems always the same. On the other hand laser sight doesn't narrow crosshair so much so it's not so confortable to fire from the hip.

Thoughts?
  2. I play by many names

If you ain't scopin u gropin. fo-grip 4 lyfe.
  3. Erendil

The main advantage of the foregrip on a Battle Rifle is that it reduces its recoil angle, making the overall recoil vector closer to vertical. This makes it easier to manually compensate for recoil, thus letting you fire accurately at a faster RoF than what would be allowed if you let the weapon settle completely between shots (like what you seem to be doing).

The foregrip also reduces the vertical recoil a little, but not enough to noticeably reduce the time it takes for the recoil to settle. You probably won't see a different on a 2x reflex. You only really notice it once you start firing at near maximum ROF and are manually compensating for recoil, and only if you're using a 3.4x or higher scope.

That said my default loadout is 3.4x red dot + foregrip + Flash Suppressor. I rarely use the Laser Sight anymore since the CoF isn't much worse with the foregrip and I carry the Commissioner for any CQC work.
  4. Joexer

Foregrip. Horizantal Recoil vs slightly less awful cqc.
  5. MiniSentrygun

Battle rifles are already bad at CQC. Might as well get foregrip and go for headshots.
  6. OldMaster80

I eventually went for laser sight. And I won some fights within 5 mts against pump action shotguns.
    I'm satisfied.
  7. DoomFruit

Flashlight. The CoF is still terrible even with a laser sight and the foregrip isn't massively useful for single shot weapons because your vertical recoil is going to take longer to settle than your horizontal recoil.

The flashlight, on the other hand, plays right into your role as support if you take a battle rifle.

I have 2 loadouts for my Eidolon and my Nyx: 4x/Flash Suppressor and 2x/Silencer. Both have flashlights (and HVA on the Eidolon). I'll almost certainly do the same with the Vandal once I aurax the Nyx and move on.
  8. OldMaster80

But you can put the flashlight on a secondary weapon if you need to spot an Infiltrator. And this month we're also gonna get scopes for those.

I'm convinced my loadout is ok but the problem still is BR are extremely underperforming compared to automatic weapons. These weapons just do not deal enough damage considered their insane recoil.
    Or at least they should buff ammo velocity much more.
  9. DoomFruit

I always stick a laser sight on my pistol. Whenever I pull it out, it's because someone has jumped in front of me when my magazine is dry/when I have a rocket launcher out. You don't have time to ADS in that kind of situation.

Oh, and BRs need to have no scope sway at all, like they used to. Sway made my 6x utterly worthless, because the pitiful damage isn't worth having to hold your breath to line up a shot.
  10. DocteurVK

My "double edged" loadout is the following on my eidolon :

3.4 red dot (the best, IMO since the scope changes)
    Foregrip
    Comp

I use this one pretty often, essentially in big fights, where stealth is not needed (comp).

I used Laser sight with a X2 and Silencer for closer ranges stealthy missions (the BRs are so quiet when suppressed)
  11. Murx

For Battle Rifles i am always using laser sights. The hip fire of this rifles is terrible and is in need for all help it can get. Recoil for fast single shoots with scopes (X3.4 - X4) is not so intense. A battlle rifle isnt a LMG ;)
  12. KritzcakeInAnimeland

This is my loadout for the BR:
    4x crosshair (TR) (recommend 3.4x if you are NC);
    Laser sight (you are gonna need this);
    Flash suppressor (B.Rifle suffers almost no downside while using it);
    HVA (optional).
    Also, I recommend Heavy using BR because things can get dicey at any time (like fighting at CQC; the laser sight is useful).
  13. JRCoonington

AFAIK the presence of scope sway is determined by the optic your using, not the gun. my gauss saw has sway on its 6x as well.

Also the 1x IRNV sight used to be notorious for having sway, i think it still does.
  14. Cavadus

Definitely foregrip. Also, grab HV ammo, compensator, and the 3.4x red dot optic.

The battle rifles are absolute beasts at mid range. You'll destroy LAs, engies, medics, and infils. HA can be a little more problematic due to their shields but that holds true for any weapon outside of bolt-actions.